Problem Starting '75 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've finaly gotten the truck of my dreams. A '75 FJ40 and have been loving it for the last 4 months.
I went to start it up the other day and it won't go on fire. It wil turn over all day. It's cold here (CO), so I've replaced the battery, made sure it has gas and checked the ditributor cap for dampness or cracks.
It's fitted with a MSD Blaster II coil, though I believe it is an older one.
Obviously I'm not to mechanicaly wise, or I could probably figure this out on my own. 'Course that's one of the reasons I wanted an older truck, so I could work on it myself and learn.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Spark, gas, air.
Pull the spark plug wires off one at a time, hold them close to the spark plugs they correspond to, whilst someone cranks it for you, and see ifn the sparks jump the gap. No sparky, maybe you need a new coil. That don't work, let us know and we'll go the next step.

Danuser,

I have just been throught this w/my '75. Hopefully your issure will not be as complicated as mine turned out to be, but needless to say I have been over the ignition system of that year model backwards and forwards. I should be able to help.

Do you have a Haynes manual or a 2F shop manual? If not I highly recomend them.

If you don't get spark at the plugs work backwords to the top of the dizzy cap(the HT line) If you don't get spark there, it is probably your coil or ignitor. There are proceedures to test both of these.

Let us know,

Ryan

Thanks so much. You guys are greatto help a fella out.

This morning I took the cables off the plug to make sure fire was getting to the plugs. Each one was, but it was a orange/yeallow spark, each sparking about once everying 1/3 of a second (not a fast succession). Should the spark be blue and faster?

Also I'm wondering about taking out all the plugs and checking them for build up. I think I can do that but what do I regap them?

Again thanks a million to you guys who are helping out!
Ron

also check your points(gap), if out of adjustment it will do whats happening.

It sure won't hurt to remove and clean your plugs, but you're right, it is usually a blue spark and 1/2 inch long. Makes me think the problem is upstream. Like John H. sez, check your points gap, first. You might need new points, new rotor/cap. But it may be you need a new condensor or coil, too.

at first chance get rid of points and do electronic ignition. i have a 74 and i always had to regap/replace points so i got a pertronix kit and havent had a problem since. i dont think they make one for 2f but you could go with newer dist good luck :cheers:

Best bet is a 81-87 2F ignition system.
dist, ignitor, coil.
You will need to modify your pushrod cover, or get one off of a 81-87.

i just went through this today, are you getting fuel to the carb? to check take off the fuel line and turn the enguine, the fuel should come out like a heatbeat, pulsating. if thats all good then you need fire to start the car, take off the wire from the coil and see if you are getting a spark, if so the check the distributer. if not the check the wires to the coil to see if your getting 12v if not trace the wires to find whats up, if you are getting 12v then test the negitive wire. you should be getting pulsing type thingy if not pulsating its the coil. then if it is check all the connections on that wire

Ok fells. You'll exscuse my stupidity with this, but like I sais...I'm learning.

My FJ 40 has electronic ignition! Couldn't find a brand or anything, but I believe it was from Specter.

I took the distributor apart, cleaned it up a bit and am in the process of putting it back together in an attempt to start it.

Any other suggestions relating to electronic ignition before I close it up?

Again, Thanks a million!

My '74 had the same problem. Ended up being the Ballast resisitor. Not sure if your equiped with one.

Thanks scott74_40. I've got a small rectangular box about a half inch wide by 3 inches deep wired onto my coil, doesn't seem to go anywhere excecpt the one wire to the coil, Is this the ballast resistor? I tried to get a new coil with internal riesistance from the local carquest but they didn't know what I was talking about.

I also had a condensor (small round piece about 2 inches long) attatched to the outside of the distributor. I read that with a semi transistorized system these were unecessary.

I'll be going through it tomorrow night.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

ballast resisotor is ceramic, power goes in, power does out to the + on the coil. But and elcetic dizzy shouldn't have a balast resistor. So maybe its just unpluged from the swap.

Yes that sounds like a condendor, little silver thing, plugs into dizzy

check the wire that goes frrm the starter to the coil, this might be the problem, if no power no start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom