Prinsu 200 Series Rack INSTALLED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody attach surfboards to a Prinsu? Any issues? Hard to find pads to fit the crossbars? Clearance issues with an item (surfboard) that has "rocker" built in to it? I was hoping to use the rack primarily for surfboards without having to do a separate surfboard rack riser or something besides actual soft foam pads that go over the bars. I would be tying them down with some traditional surf straps similar to a ratchet strap that would be looped around the bars on either side of the boards. I believe one issue could be that the wind fairing is taller than the crossbars? Thinking the height of the surfboard foam pads would make it clear or worse case scenario buy the fairing that has the light bar cut out. I just bought a used 2019 200 series that currently has a monster sized ARB Touring rack on it. I don't plan on putting a RTT on my truck & the ARB is steel & I live by the beach so I want to get something more useful & less rust prone. Truck also came with King 2.5's, Method Wheels, BFG KO2 & 4 ARB Intensity Lights....however unfortunately it has a few problems as well including the messy install of the ARB rack. Solving them one by one.
my wind fairing is sitting almost level with the crossbars

Thanks Jflow. Figure there is about an inch of padding with standard surfboard pads. I know Thule & Yakima make some surf specific board carries but if you are hauling multiple boards in offroad conditions (live close to Baja) simple & strong works the best. eg boards mounted directly to a hard frame with good tie downs.

Recently installed my prinsu - love it.
Installed myself and took my time - Here are some tips:

Watch the Prinsu Design Studio youtube on a 100 series install as a preview
Used permatex #2 instead of silicone
Remove factory bolts by hand, alternating the loosening of bolts on each tower after 3-5 turns.
Do not install on the ground - install siderails first on the truck with mounting bolts semi tightened - use same method of alternating bolts when tightening
Then install crossbars leaving out the ones that cover the mounting feet
When you install the crossbars it will pull on the siderails
Make sure rails are square, then torque down. I started with the middle tower/driverside, then opposite side one tower over and repeated torque down in an x-pattern. Not sure if this made a difference, but it worked out for me in terms of everything level
Install remaining crossbars
Take pictures

Washed the truck yesterday and saw no leaks

20210313_092833~2.jpg

20210306_104210~2.jpg

Recently installed my prinsu - love it.
Installed myself and took my time - Here are some tips:

Watch the Prinsu Design Studio youtube on a 100 series install as a preview
Used permatex #2 instead of silicone
Remove factory bolts by hand, alternating the loosening of bolts on each tower after 3-5 turns.
Do not install on the ground - install siderails first on the truck with mounting bolts semi tightened - use same method of alternating bolts when tightening
Then install crossbars leaving out the ones that cover the mounting feet
When you install the crossbars it will pull on the siderails
Make sure rails are square, then torque down. I started with the middle tower/driverside, then opposite side one tower over and repeated torque down in an x-pattern. Not sure if this made a difference, but it worked out for me in terms of everything level
Install remaining crossbars
Take pictures

Washed the truck yesterday and saw no leaks

View attachment 2612768

View attachment 2612769
did you have to use the rear-most eyelet to avoid hitting the shark fin? or is your rear crossbar taller than the shark fin?

did you have to use the rear-most eyelet to avoid hitting the shark fin? or is your rear crossbar taller than the shark fin?
I used the last pre-drilled hole and the adjacent slot, which places the last cross bar behind the fin, but the bar would still clear the fin even if it was on top of it. I'm guessing a 1/4" of room. This may vary based on the way you torque it down - not 100% sure... but again, all clear for my 2014

20210314_121629.jpg

20210314_115812.jpg

Thanks to the advice on this thread, I was able to install a Prinsu rack on my 2014 LC200 with no issues. If you are planning on getting a Prinsu, you MUST follow the procedure for removing the factory roof rack bolts or you are going to be in a world of hurt.

A few tips I have picked up along the way...

Use "helicopter tape" or some other clear paint protection film under the fairing so it does not rub on your roof. On my LC200, it was easy to get the rubber to sit tight against the roof and there is zero wind noise from that area. The fairing will fit all the way down on the last bolt hole and create a really good seal if you slightly compress the under side rubber. Use a rubber mallet to seat the rubber strip tightly against the fairing so it follows the contours.
tape.jpg

If you hear whistling or prefer a more "finished" look, get some T-slot channel cover from McMaster-Carr. I use the "non-slip" stuff as it has a slight ribbing for grip and seems to cut down on wind noise due to the imperfect surface (i.e. the golf ball dimple effect).
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 11.35.59 AM.png

My "sharkfin" clears easily, but as others have mentioned - you can just mount a bar vertically there if yours is too close.
sharkfin.jpg

The only part of the install that my OCD will not let go of, is that the LC200 roof channels and rubber strips don't really allow you seal the mounts as much as I'd like. The blobs of Permatex #2 and slightly raised lip on the mounts seem fine and I don't expect any leaking, but the design still allows water to pool up and flow through the channel which just seems less than ideal. This is because the factory rack has some rubber foot pieces covering that area - I suppose you could reuse them, but that doesn't seem to be common practice.
feet.jpg

For reference, my Tacoma has a solid strip all the way down the channel, so I was able to make perfect little holes for the standoffs to poke thorugh. ZERO chance of water ever getting in there but also heavily sealed with goop just in case. Far more elegant than the LC200 mounts, but you could probably order some channel from Toyota and do the same thing if you are really worried about it.
taco.jpg

Anyway, thanks for saving me some headaches and hope the next folks doing Prinsu installs benefit from this thread!

Finally got around to installing my Prinsu on my 2019. To answer my own previous question, surfboards work great on this rack without any additional crossbar risers. I ended up using some DaKine aero rack pads that rise about 1.3/4" off of the crossbars. I also chose the wind deflector that has the cut out for the light bar that gives you an additional inch or so of clearance in case you have a board with a lot of rocker on it. My first cross bar is in the first spot on the rack however I am thinking I may slide it back one notch to see if it cuts down on the noise a little. Just thought I would share because I couldn't really get a solid answer about this when I was considering buying the rack. Prinsu didn't even know. One thing that was kind of a bummer with this rack is that I ordered mine about 20 hours before they started one of their sales. They refused to refund me the 10% discount of the sale price or give me 75% of the discount savings in accessories. Kind of lame as most companies will often give a grace period on a sale. They did offer to cancel my order & I could repurchase at the discounted cost but the rep advised me that since the sale had started they had a bunch of orders & I would then be at the back of a long line. Just kind of left a bad impression with me on a vendor that I just purchased over 1k of stuff from.

I have issues with Front runner rack , I have not even had the ability to assemble or mount my rack just yet do to the shipping quality control still waiting for a response about missing , chipped and crushed parts thats to who ever packed did a piss poor job .
As far as mounting is the same removing OEM and use spacers and globs of sealant ...I’m not excited about that . And the limited water drainage in the channel is blocked is not a good design .
I’m waiting on Front Runner ... that sucks going on 3 weeks .
I hope the Prinsu is a better company , worst case I send everything back to front runner .

I also chose the wind deflector that has the cut out for the light bar that gives you an additional inch or so of clearance in case you have a board with a lot of rocker on it. My first cross bar is in the first spot on the rack however I am thinking I may slide it back one notch to see if it cuts down on the noise a little.
Calixto,
I do not have the cutout for the lights on my wind fairing so your results may vary. I have found that the first 2 crossbars make the most noise. I usually leave them home and the wind noise is much less. I do have my wind fairing touching the top of the roof which also helps a bunch.
Best,
Robert

Just a heads up about Prinsu's grab handles, according to CBI they will interfere if you try to mount an awning on the same side with their quick release brackets. They look like they would clear but unfortunately there are no measurements of the handles or quick release brackets. I may roll the dice and order a set. They look pretty slick and nice that you can drop some lights into them. Anybody have a set with their rock lights? Thoughts? As far as I can tell the Ironman 4x4 quick release awning brackets look to be the best & quickest & I was going to order them however if it won't fit I'm gonna pass. No specs on the Ironman ones however they look thinner than the Prinsu QR brackets.

Anybody attach surfboards to a Prinsu? Any issues? Hard to find pads to fit the crossbars? Clearance issues with an item (surfboard) that has "rocker" built in to it? I was hoping to use the rack primarily for surfboards without having to do a separate surfboard rack riser or something besides actual soft foam pads that go over the bars. I would be tying them down with some traditional surf straps similar to a ratchet strap that would be looped around the bars on either side of the boards. I believe one issue could be that the wind fairing is taller than the crossbars? Thinking the height of the surfboard foam pads would make it clear or worse case scenario buy the fairing that has the light bar cut out. I just bought a used 2019 200 series that currently has a monster sized ARB Touring rack on it. I don't plan on putting a RTT on my truck & the ARB is steel & I live by the beach so I want to get something more useful & less rust prone. Truck also came with King 2.5's, Method Wheels, BFG KO2 & 4 ARB Intensity Lights....however unfortunately it has a few problems as well including the messy install of the ARB rack. Solving them one by one.
I use a Yakima SupDawg and it attaches perfectly to my Prinsu. No issues and love it!

Apologies if I missed it, but I can not seem to find it. Does anyone know the part number for the oem nut plate for the roof rack? I have to replace a couple after the body shop mangled mine I just found out....

That sucks ... don’t forget the yellow seal things that stick up from the holes , not sure if they come with the nut plates . Body shop probably used a impacted gun , as others have repeated loosen bolts by hand evenly .

That sucks ... don’t forget the yellow seal things that stick up from the holes , not sure if they come with the nut plates . Body shop probably used a impacted gun , as others have repeated loosen bolts by hand evenly .
It sure does. This was a Toyota owned shop, the work was nearly 5k for a scrape on the rear wheel arch. I will not let them touch my vehicle again.

If anyone knows the PN for the nut plate I surely would be appreciative.

Can anyone recommend a solution here? I have a Rhino Rack rooftop bag. I need a way to secure these 1.5” side straps to my Prinsu. Straps aren’t long enough to run them down and under the side rails. The quick release o-ring style tie downs won’t fit the plastic buckles. These straps run parallel to the crossbars, again not long enough to twist under then above them to clip to top of the bag. Is there another anchor style that I can bolt into the t-slot?

B47CE2A5-E731-4E44-8D82-596B7B11E42D.jpeg

BB230B5F-25B3-4269-9965-6BA558659C34.jpeg

AAB4C2DD-E799-4857-8956-DB1A307075F1.jpeg

Can anyone recommend a solution here? I have a Rhino Rack rooftop bag. I need a way to secure these 1.5” side straps to my Prinsu. Straps aren’t long enough to run them down and under the side rails. The quick release o-ring style tie downs won’t fit the plastic buckles. These straps run parallel to the crossbars, again not long enough to twist under then above them to clip to top of the bag. Is there another anchor style that I can bolt into the t-slot?

View attachment 2650408
View attachment 2650410
View attachment 2650411

My first thought was a footman loop attached to the flat part of a rack but I'm guessing that also wouldn't work with the buckle? That said... you could just remove the footman loop each time you take the bag off.

Can you remove the entire strap from the bag and replace with something that has hardware that's easier to use? Something like an e-track strap would be pretty clean or at that point just use a 1 inch strap with the mounting points that you already have? Perhaps poke around here -- Strapworks - Straps, Webbing, Tie-Downs, Buckles & More - https://www.strapworks.com.

@FDMD Can’t you clip an anchor into your airline track system?

Bonberland Single Stud Fitting with D Shape Stainless Steel Ring for L Track/Airline Track-10Packs Amazon product ASIN B07FG26WW9

I can’t speak to the buckles you have, but most of the time plastic buckles come off the strap (unless they are sewn in).

Could you add supplementary cam buckle straps or a cargo net over the bag to hold it in place?

Last edited:
Your load panel looks wrong (too short). Are you sure that's the right size?

Your load panel looks wrong (too short). Are you sure that's the right size?
I was wondering. I ordered these a couple years back and just took them out of the box this weekend as I fine tune how I load the rack. I don't recall there being different widths available back then, but yes, these are not wide enough. I just looked on the website now and I see they offer different sizes. Frustrating. That order also included a cargo basket kit and the included crossbar they sent with it was also the wrong width. They did replace that right away. They don't list the dimensions, so I'm not sure which vehicle this load panel is intended to fit. I reached out to CBI, hopefully they'll honor a straight exchange since these are new and unused.

I’m pretty sure mine are 48.5” and they reach all the way to the slots of the side rails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom