Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the body off the the '78. Sand blasting of the frame and donor body is next. The frame is going to need some attention.

20210702_100631.jpg

20210702_100655.jpg

20210704_150339.jpg

Its not Tuesday, but I had some time today. Swapping on the savage bumper from the 4runner to the taco. Looks like it should fit with very slight mod. I need to elongate the slot in the side bracket mount as the taco bolt spacing is narrower than on the 4runner. I've also run out of drop adjustability to lower the bumper in relation to the body and frame. Interference between the side bumper arms and the fender.

So, I've decided to add a slight body lift to get the spacing I need to fit the bumper and give me a little more pinch weld clearance in the wheel well from my 32" tires.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mild body lift, 1"- 1.5"?

I have a 4crawler 1.5" body lift with the steering spacer that I never installed on the 4runner, but I think I might be missing some pieces. I'd like to get this done this week, since I already started tearing Into everything.

20210704_155443.jpg
20210704_155550.jpg
20210704_155518.jpg

I drank some coffee and muscled the bumper into position. No body lift "needed", but its damnsure close.

Looks like I can just mod those side brackets and I'm good.

Still though, body lift is in the future.

Got some led headlights to install, but I'll need to do a new harness same time for them to work.

But, it's already 4 on this 4th of July. Maybe lights can wait.

Finally got the last parts for front 2.5" lift installed this weekend and tricked the rear air suspension to be level. Replacing the bushings in the lower control arms was a massive pain but they're poly now which is nice. Also broke the last bolt I touched, typical, then broke an extractor for extra fun and 3 extra hours of work...

Now to tackle the CV that started leaking as soon as I test drove it. Boot is still good it seems so I'm hoping it's just a clamp. I'm still waiting for rear shocks and springs parts even though I ordered everything 4 months ago

well it was another mail call today... all the pieces for my new lighting showed up!! I hope to get it all installed this weekend but we will see.....

PXL_20210708_000535936.jpg

Diode Dynamics has a 15% off sale ending tonight so I was able to get the 3" pods (Driving light style) wiring harness and shipping for the regular price of the pods!

The brackets are cheap Amazon ones that have gotten some great reviews hear on Mud.... and were only like 20$

Amazon product ASIN B07NTYXB4V
The switch was 14$ and is a Toyota style one so it will match the other stock switches in both form and lighting.... I hope the lighting matches...

in the new SB Precision switch plate. I opted for the new plate to keep everything looking as stock as possible ... it is a Lexus and we have to maintain the standards ... pinkies up!! LOL!!!!

Nothing too interesting but my 80 crossed the 150k mile mark and got an oil change to celebrate. I got 9 more of these good made in Japan filters left after this one so I'm good through 200k.

PXL_20210712_000857462.jpg
PXL_20210712_000530117.jpg

Well I was able to talk my buddy into helping with the install of my Diode Dynamic Pods...

The SBE Precision switch plate looks great... such a nice stock look to it for that extra switch placement.

lexus switch plate.jpg

Ran the power right off the battery for now... in the future there might be a Power Tray installed with s distribution block to keep the future upgrades nice and tidy. We did take the time to use wire loom and run the wires behind the trim panels to keep a clean look...

pod wire hiding.jpg

The GS Power brackets ( Amazon 20$ special ) fit just fine and had JUST enough clearance that neither the bracket nor the lights touched the windshield with the hood fully raised.

underhood pod.jpg

The pods are a nice size and are not ostentatious and don't SCREAM look at me like a full size light bar seems too.

pods on.jpg

lexus pod.jpg

... so they still need to be aimed and do the final tighten down but I am very happy with them indeed.

Last edited:
Part 2 ... the results....

I took it out to see how the lights looked... did a basic aim to get them straight but I will still play about with them to figure out how I want the final aim to be.... I must say i am pretty impressed by the light output!

here we are in my parking lot.... just looking at the hill across the way...

no headlights....
no head lights.jpg

just the LED head lights....

just headlights.jpg

no just the new pods....

just pods.jpg

and both LED headlights AND Pods...

both headlights and pods.jpg

I think that I will be very happy with these... the main reason is for when I go to the GF's cabin in WV those damn roads are DARK as crap at night!! Also these might make some great a****** move over lights too LOL

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3m crystalline installer in the area? Hoping to get a quote for the 62. Would do 90 (basically clear)

Got the Slee sliders/mama steps/dad steps/kiddo steps on today. Been working on a very important non-Cruiser project too—he’s one week old today!

huge thanks to Pedro (@rrc swb) for combining shipments, taking delivery and storing them for a few days while we were at the hospital.

50013FC8-859E-4867-BAD5-08068DB6CF30.jpeg
D4CAA564-787C-4186-B353-AEB6CACD1AF6.jpeg

Got the Slee sliders/mama steps/dad steps/kiddo steps on today. Been working on a very important non-Cruiser project too—he’s one week old today!

huge thanks to Pedro (@rrc swb) for combining shipments, taking delivery and storing them for a few days while we were at the hospital.

View attachment 2730881View attachment 2730882
Congrats... lil handsome mudder. :)

Don't even mention it dude... It was my pleasure.

Congrats on the new kid!

you did good there @NearJetties .... he looks like a great addition to the mud family!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom