Prado near Fredericksburg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi CLCC, a friend to south of you is curious if any of you have seen this KZJ71 near Fredericksburg, and have any thoughts on it?

The dealer seems (quite) a bit shady, and this cruiser almost looks too clean. I was wondering if any of you have been to check it out? I'm about 5 hrs away from it and don't want to make the trip north if it's a total scam/piece of junk.

TIA.

Not entirely sure on their reputation, but I noticed them selling JDM stuff last year or the year before a lot of people got into it. First place I saw a 90 series listed...Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth to go check it out, but im sure someone could swing by?

most JDM prados look like that...too clean, lol! But it's generally because they've been taken care of, not a gimmick. For a 1KZ without a rear locker (don't know if that was even an option on prados?) it seems like a fair price. Looks like the 100,000 km timing belt job was done before it left Japan also. On paper and photos it looks legit. I have no experience with the 1KZ motor.

To me, that’s a reasonable price and from what I’ve searched, that is a good engine. I do prefer manual hub locks over the electric switch. I would like to see more pics of the frame and underside.

Thank you all very much! I've been thinking this one over, and with the higher mileage + unknown history + suspect dealer, I am going to keep searching. I do appreciate your willingness to help!

@little_joe Not that I have any unique knowledge on the matter, but keep in mind that one reason many of them look "too clean" could be the rigorous inspection standards that Japan has for vehicles. I hear it's a pain...worse than Maryland! @kevin in okinawa can probably attest to both. @Diff Kraken - any knowledge on that?

@little_joe Not that I have any unique knowledge on the matter, but keep in mind that one reason many of them look "too clean" could be the rigorous inspection standards that Japan has for vehicles. I hear it's a pain...worse than Maryland! @kevin in okinawa can probably attest to both. @Diff Kraken - any knowledge on that?
Americans would freak. The. F**k. Out if they had to pay for the comprehensive, every two year inspection that Japanese cars are subject too. Like no leaks for starters. Comprehensive to the max.

They keep the cars very clean over there- heck, they keep everything very clean over there. I remember the first time I saw a DC metro train after years of riding the Tokyo metro… I thought something was wrong with the DC train I was seeing- it was covered in grime and looked like it had just re-entered the earth’s atmosphere. It was eye opening.

A couple other thoughts on the matter, I spent some time at an auto auction house in Yokohama and the cars were all super clean to go for auction. At least when I went it was expected that the cars would be clean before auction.

Finally, I remember looking at some really cheap cars there and being blown away at how cheap. Like $5k for an older WRX. It turns out they rarely keep a car for more than 50-80k miles. A car with 100k miles on it was considered to be a real liability. Not sure why. Leave it to the Japanese to both design cars that go 400k miles and also refuse to drive cars with more than 50k miles on them. It also helps that there is excellent public transportation and high tolls to travel by car. So people generally drive less.

I’m sure various fees, taxes, and inspections come into play as well. But bottom line is the cars are usually in great shape including almost always kept up on all recommended maintenance schedules. The Japanese tend to not do anything half ass and will generally budget for total upkeep of the vehicle.

And I’m sure you already know all there is to know on the subject but I found this thread particularly useful and insightful:

Americans would freak. The. F**k. Out if they had to pay for the comprehensive, every two year inspection that Japanese cars are subject too. Like no leaks for starters. Comprehensive to the max.
I'm Ok with an inspection...as long as everybody gets the same inspection.

Hi CLCC, a friend to south of you is curious if any of you have seen this KZJ71 near Fredericksburg, and have any thoughts on it?

The dealer seems (quite) a bit shady, and this cruiser almost looks too clean. I was wondering if any of you have been to check it out? I'm about 5 hrs away from it and don't want to make the trip north if it's a total scam/piece of junk.

TIA.
I just went by there. They have several Prados, all in great shape. The engines were immaculate. The guy we talked to seemed to be el jeffe. Pakistani who sold cars in Dubai before coming here. How he ended up in rural VA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but seemed like a nice guy.

But if you're on the market for a right hand drive diesel it's worth the trip through the 95 nightmare. Maybe stop off at Center of the Universe in Ashland for a quality beer to make it worth the trip.

I just went by there. They have several Prados, all in great shape. The engines were immaculate. The guy we talked to seemed to be el jeffe. Pakistani who sold cars in Dubai before coming here. How he ended up in rural VA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but seemed like a nice guy.

But if you're on the market for a right hand drive diesel it's worth the trip through the 95 nightmare. Maybe stop off at Center of the Universe in Ashland for a quality beer to make it worth the trip.
Really appreciate this, @cruisercadia Former Richmond resident here, so the whole 95 thing is not foreign to me. Did you see anything with this KZJ71 that gave you pause?

Really appreciate this, @cruisercadia Former Richmond resident here, so the whole 95 thing is not foreign to me. Did you see anything with this KZJ71 that gave you pause?
Not really. Interior on some are a bit beat up but not trashed from my cursory look around. Again though, the engines were all immaculate and in one case he has a HDJ81 where the hood is rusted he's not putting it up for sale until he gets a replacement hood in. I'm general my take away was that he's trying to send quality product he can stand behind. Some pics attached

PXL_20220430_200321399.MP.jpg

PXL_20220430_200110882.jpg

PXL_20220430_200005757.jpg

PXL_20220430_195932055.jpg

PXL_20220430_195814958.jpg

Very grateful for this, @cruisercadia I didn't know if this place was flipping junk, or doing things right. Sounds like on the JDM side, they're all right. Now I'm looking at when I can make the drive up there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom