Difference between 70 series and a Prada (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing some research into the 70 series and the Prada but some bits of information say there one in the same and other sights say there is a clear distinction. Any guidance on the two would be appreciated !

In some markets the light duty 70 or Landcrusier 2 is called a Prado...
Basically 1990 to 1995/6.
These are typically the square shaped, part time 4wd, coil spring and live axle vehicles.
Now after 1995 a new "Prado" was introduced to the Toyota lineup...
And is nothing like the old one, only really sharing the 1KZTE engine...
And is more like a miniature IFS front 80 series...with full time 4wd

Oh, where to start....

I assume you are talking about the 70 series Prados vs. 70 series Heavy Duty?

Basically they are the same EXCEPT:

- Prado has a shorter and wider engine bay with a softer front end look.
- Prado runs a small electronic 2.4l or 3.0l turbo diesel instead of the larger mechanical 4.2l normally aspirated diesel
- Prado runs coil suspension instead of leaf suspension
- Prado rear axle is lighter duty with an 8" differential instead of 9.5" full floating
- Prado runs A343F electronic auto trans or R151F manual instead of A440F hydraulic or H55 manual
- Prado interior is more luxurious
- Prado came with optional rear locking diff, where heavy duty model came with optional front and rear locking diffs
- Prado is 12V and I think the heavy duty models are 24V

- Front axle components are all the same except the housing is different between the two and gear ratio
- Frames are essentially the same with just minor differences, both very strong
- Transfer cases are both very strong and quite similar
- Both are four wheel disk brakes

In terms of reputation, they are both generally tough trucks, with the EXCEPTION of the Prado's engine family. The 2LTE is a small engine for the vehicle and is prone to overheating in stock form. This is why Prados are (or at least should be) much cheaper than the heavy duty model. These issues can be over come to some degree if you are so inclined.

So generally, the safest bet is the HZJ77/HZJ73 heavy duty models.

Prados are LJ78/LJ73 or KZJ78/KZJ73.

There is also the PZJ77/PZJ73. It has a 3.5l normally aspirated diesel (5/6th of a 1HZ). It has the smaller R151F manual transmission like the Prado.

Last edited:
@GTSSportCoupe ....... "Prado interior is more luxurious"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait a darn minute ....
My 77 Series has bouncy seats and a FM/AM/Cassette radio. By any standard that is pure luxury. :)

If you like your fine italian hand bags, and shoes, feel free to pay the premium price. It's good quality stuff, with normally minimal design.

Let's just say us Prado guys have been teased with the use of Prada by some of the Heavy Duty owners. We're just a little sensitive. :cool:
That's shameful. I can't believe anyone would do that. I apologize for the entire group. :)

As the happy owner of a 1990 Prado, I'd like to add that as long as you don't plan on hauling heavy trailers, or carrying an actual ton of people and gear, the 1990-1995 Prado is a great choice. Yes, the engine needs the mods described extensively on this list, but it runs fine. The coil suspension and overall comfort make it an ideal rig for my use. That includes 4-wheeling that most new SUV's couldn't handle, and great manners in the snowy winters that we have here in McCall. The only item I wished I had is the locking rear differential. I do have manual locking hubs, and recommend them. 19-20 mpg is what I average long term.

HZJ77/73 and same with PZJ77/73 also have rear disk brakes. I've seen a lot of prado interiors and would be curious how they are any better than what is in my ZX now.

an LJ78 is like a HZJ77 except weaker diffs, weaker tranny, terribly inefficient, underpowered, and unreliable engine, and wicked coil suspension. The issues can be overcome and many have done so with great success. However most that have ventured down that path if they totalled the hours and money they put into their prado they could've purchased a nice HZJ77.

now If you're thinking that a HZJ77 is possibly the bees knees of land cruisers I caution you: they are gutless. Even worse if you have an auto. With a turbo this can be overcome as well and I walked down that path but wouldn't recommend it. I say this simply because of the high cost and the net results still won't compete with a DI engine. More cost effective to swap in a 1HD-T

as a rough comparison here is a list of toyota diesel engines from my own experience that I felt were from the most gutless to the most powerful:

3B - BJ70, BJ60 (the BJ70 was sporty but only because it was light)
13BT - BJ74
1HZ - HZJ77 (Always found it funny that the 13BT could never keep up to my NA HZJ77 with big muds)
2F - FJ40 A gasser but will put this in here for comparison
12HT - HJ61
1HZ-T - HZJ77

Havent driven a 1HD-T but i'm sure with a tune it'll beat out whats on the list.

HZJ77/73 and same with PZJ77/73 also have rear disk brakes. I've seen a lot of prado interiors and would be curious how they are any better than what is in my ZX now.

an LJ78 is like a HZJ77 except weaker diffs, weaker tranny, terribly inefficient, underpowered, and unreliable engine, and wicked coil suspension. The issues can be overcome and many have done so with great success. However most that have ventured down that path if they totalled the hours and money they put into their prado they could've purchased a nice HZJ77.

Good to know about the rear disk brakes; wasn't sure on that one.

Things additional about the interior of the Prado is the better adjust-ability in the center row and additional rear row. Thought the fabrics in the LJ78 EX5 were nicer, but looks like the HZJ77 ZX is pretty nice too.

I would argue the Prado Auto transmission is not weaker. A343F is also used in heavy duty cruisers (80 series, 100 series), V8 Tundra, V8 Sequoia, V8 4Runner behind the 1FZFE and 2UZFE. Better in some ways as it locks up in 3rd and 4th gear so runs much cooler.

Front diff is not weaker in the Prado, they are both high pinion 8".

Yes the 2LTE engine is inefficient and underpowered in OEM form. And yes it is fairly expensive to improve, although less costly than turboing a 1HZ I'm guessing.

Really, what I tell anyone who wants a Prado, is they have to expect a project. Either improve the motor, or swap it for something better.

The good news is the A343F bolts to many many Toyota engines. I've seen Prados with 1UZFE, 5VZFE, 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE, and more. Would love to see someone do a 1KD-FTV.

Just my two cents.

I've never set behind a 1HD-T so I can't comment but my 1HZ-T is an amazingly smooth running diesel and with the turbo and Intercooler I can definitely run in the "fast lane." The seating position and comfort are second only to a 80 Series in my opinion. The ride is stiff but I'm good with that. It seems to be decent in an off road setting. It's capabilities far exceed those of mine.

Good to know about the rear disk brakes; wasn't sure on that one.

Things additional about the interior of the Prado is the better adjust-ability in the center row and additional rear row. Thought the fabrics in the LJ78 EX5 were nicer, but looks like the HZJ77 ZX is pretty nice too.

Seat comfort is the same with the same electric lumbar support adjustment, same suspension seats and so forth. Different cloth however. Middle row I like the prado seats because they are split bi-fold as opposed to the one long solid piece in HZJ77's. Its a lot less comfortable with three people in the back on prado seats as opposed to the long bench but I rarely have more than pone person back there let alone myself. Steering wheel and everything you are interacting with is the same.

I would argue the Prado Auto transmission is not weaker. A343F is also used in heavy duty cruisers (80 series, 100 series), V8 Tundra, V8 Sequoia, V8 4Runner behind the 1FZFE and 2UZFE. Better in some ways as it locks up in 3rd and 4th gear so runs much cooler.

My apologies, I was only referring to the manual transmission R series vs H series.

Front diff is not weaker in the Prado, they are both high pinion 8".

Again my apologies as I was only referring to the rear. Interestingly enough a lot of people seem to use the Prado front housing to do a coil swap on the front of their HZJ77/75

Yes the 2LTE engine is inefficient and underpowered in OEM form. And yes it is fairly expensive to improve, although less costly than turboing a 1HZ I'm guessing.

Your 2LTE is exceptional. Pardon my bias but I would never own a 2LTE, except yours. I'd be curious to know what you have in yours, but then I'd have to tell you what I have in mine and I'd rather not think about that. 1HZ owners are fighting their engines like 2LTE owners. On;y difference is 1HZ owners are looking for more speed so they won't have to dip into 3rd on long hills while 2LTE owners are trying to make their engine reliable enough so it won't crack their head and boil over their radiator each time they attempt a long hill like the coquihalla. Once reliability is achieved you still have a slow motor

Really, what I tell anyone who wants a Prado, is they have to expect a project. Either improve the motor, or swap it for something better.

Excellent advice.

The good news is the A343F bolts to many many Toyota engines. I've seen Prados with 1UZFE, 5VZFE, 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE, and more. Would love to see someone do a 1KD-FTV.

Did not know this.

Just my two cents.

I've never set behind a 1HD-T so I can't comment but my 1HZ-T is an amazingly smooth running diesel and with the turbo and Intercooler I can definitely run in the "fast lane." The seating position and comfort are second only to a 80 Series in my opinion. The ride is stiff but I'm good with that. It seems to be decent in an off road setting. It's capabilities far exceed those of mine.

Its not only what it can do, but cost and return ratio. A 1HZ turbocharged and inter cooled is a quick machine but its an expensive journey that in the end will compromise the integrity of the motors life. The point I am making is if you really want one of these just be prepared. if you're not prepared you'll be behind the wheel of an expensive dog. a mild turbo setup is going to be 5K easy by the time you are done. if you want more than "mild" you're risking an engine that was never designed for it and is made up of expensive parts. If this is the case it's going to cost a lot more than 5K and at that point you could sell your current 1HZ and buy a different motor. If you're in AUS thats different but in NA we don't have lines of cruiser experts in every town. Don't get me wrong, I've driven a lot of toyota diesels and the 1HZ is one of my favs, but realize what it is and keep your expectations realistic otherwise you'll end up selling your other vehicles just to fund your obsession.

I drove my 1HZ normally aspirated for several months to get a feel for the engines health and to record exhaust temps. under various driving conditions. I was somewhat shocked at the exhaust temps. on even the slightest inclines. (1,100+ degrees.). Since the turbo and Intercooler installation the exhaust temps. have never exceeded 850 degrees and normally averages 600-700 degrees. (In other words the turbo and Intercooler greatly cooled the engine down which can only be seen as a plus). I capped the boost at 10psi to further enhance longevity. I'm further blessed to have one of the best diesel shops in the country less than a 15 minute drive away. I'll further acknowledge that the 1HD-T is possibly a superior engine but it's a "bird in the hand" kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom