Power Steering Reservoir Cap Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't be surprised if the "fix" doesn't work. Quite often the reservoir is leaking from the seam where the halves are crimped together. It can present as a leaking cap.

Don't be surprised if the "fix" doesn't work. Quite often the reservoir is leaking from the seam where the halves are crimped together. It can present as a leaking cap.
Thanks, but it may be worth a try. From the looks of it, it looks like it might be coming from under the cap. If not, new resi it is!

wait, the PS reservoir is NOT suppose to leak? This is news to me.

wait, the PS reservoir is NOT suppose to leak? This is news to me.
My new one doesn't. The original seeped for ages. I tried what looked like a good used one. That too leaked. The new OEM is high and dry. There has been a part number change so there may have been internal changes made. The exterior is silver, prior is black.

My new one doesn't. The original seeped for ages. I tried what looked like a good used one. That too leaked. The new OEM is high and dry. There has been a part number change so there may have been internal changes made. The exterior is silver, prior is black.
I know I'm being annoying, but have the New Part #?

I will check mine and Report back if they were good in 1996.

44360-60171

Toyota Smiles every time we Fix something Instead of Replace.

Per Wiki: Muda (無駄, on'yomi reading, ateji) is a Japanese word meaning "futility", "uselessness", or "wastefulness",[1] and is a key concept in lean process thinking such as in the Toyota Production System (TPS), denoting one of three types of deviation from optimal allocation of resources. The other types are known by the Japanese terms mura ("unevenness") and muri ("overload").[2] Waste in this context refers to the wasting of time or resources rather than wasteful by-products and should not be confused with Waste reduction.

this would be a perfect time to upgrade to the 105 series PS resi that's a tad deeper, no? If so, anyone have that p/n handy?

this would be a perfect time to upgrade to the 105 series PS resi that's a tad deeper, no? If so, anyone have that p/n handy?
44360-60200. You would have to figure out a way to mount it. It is taller but smaller in diameter. I don't think you'd gain much.
20240208_110337.jpg

oh ,I didn't realize that not much is gained by that unit. Thank you for that info.

And a new cap is $26 shipped. Some of y'all must be really bored.
🤷‍♂️ not everyone wants to spend $26 and wait for it when they can spend less than $5 and have it done sooner.

In this case I had already gotten a new cap but wanted to see what the result would be. I'm big into fixing and repairing things myself versus tossing them and buying new. I teach my kids this philosophy as I think it's a valuable life lesson. Also, the joy I see in their face when we repair a toy that they thought was broken can't be priced.

I think this may be another reason why I love my land cruiser so much. Nearly everything on it can be broken down and rebuilt.

Well put 👍🏽

🤷‍♂️ not everyone wants to spend $26 and wait for it when they can spend less than $5 and have it done sooner.

In this case I had already gotten a new cap but wanted to see what the result would be. I'm big into fixing and repairing things myself versus tossing them and buying new. I teach my kids this philosophy as I think it's a valuable life lesson. Also, the joy I see in their face when we repair a toy that they thought was broken can't be priced.

I think this may be another reason why I love my land cruiser so much. Nearly everything on it can be broken down and rebuilt.
100% Agree.
We fix everything around here.
We Rarely Buy Junk, but we are Big Fans of Second Hand.

• Gasket Material Available at Autozone.
  • Use 2 Layers of Gasket - Fit is very Nice.
  • Make sure you use the Correct Pliers for Disassembly, else the OEM Police Scold ya.
  • Existing Gasket had Zero Flex - See Pic
  • Trace Old Gasket with Sharpie
  • Cut out and Take your Lines to Ensure Good Fit - Mine Looks oem. Gasket it thin so you can cut Right to Line.
  • Vice was not needed to remove spring. Flat Screwdriver and Pry both sides back and Forth.
  • Clean the Reservoir and Cap with Degreaser not Brake Clean. Brake Clean removes the Paint - Don't be Me.
  • Make sure Power Steering Fluid (ATF) is Candy Apple Colored and Clear. If not change it. I use Full Synthetic Valvoline from China*Mart

Literally a 5 Minute Job - Wish I did it much Sooner.

View attachment 3419406View attachment 3419407View attachment 3419408View attachment 3419409

View attachment 3419411View attachment 3419413
Did this fix and it seems to work. Can is no longer leaking, but I did find a new leak in the return line 🤦🏽‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom