Power steering pump options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sag and never look back. Easy to Install, easy to replace, cheap and steering is easier than it was with the Toyota. I’d have to look back but I think it’s been at least 5 years for me.

.png
IMG_0768.JPG
power-steering-pumps-factory-7.jpg

Another vote for Saginaw. And while I love Toyota, their PS pump is barely adequate for stock tires. If you put on larger tires, it just doesn't cut is. As much as it pains me to say, the Saginaw pump is a superior product, way cheaper, and plentiful.

There are actually a ton of power steering pump bodies out there that resemble the stock Toyota unit and could probably adapt the stock reservoir to. So it would look stock but be a newer higher fluid flow pump.

Atta boy. Keep it Toyota!!! I get the want for the sags and I even talked to George about his kit which was pretty new at the time. Something about it seemed wrong so I ended up putting in a new OEM from Toyota when my original 1984 pump threw its woodruff key and had its shaft buggered up. Have never looked back. I am sure the sags are plenty powerful but my stock pump turns my 33's without issue. I doubt the sags will last 30+ years however. Its a good thing the saginaw pump is plentiful.

I don’t know how you guys that live up north don’t complain all the time about the Toyota pump. When it drops below 30 degrees here in Alabama the stock pump groans something awful until it gets warm.

I don’t know how you guys that live up north don’t complain all the time about the Toyota pump. When it drops below 30 degrees here in Alabama the stock pump groans something awful until it gets warm.
The YODA pumps always seeped a little but never had any other problems with them. However with Ford's, I'm never sure if they are supercharged or just need another steering overhaul.

I learned early that you never crank the wheel unless you are moving. That wisdom may be key to power steering longevity.

The YODA pumps always seeped a little but never had any other problems with them. However with Ford's, I'm never sure if they are supercharged or just need another steering overhaul.

I learned early that you never crank the wheel unless you are moving. That wisdom may be key to power steering longevity.
One of mine weeps as well as groaning. Just when really cold

Everything I had growing up was manual steering so that advice was hardwired into me.

My wife cranks the wheel lock to lock, at a dead stop! It takes all I’ve got to not give her another “driving lesson” every time

One of mine weeps as well as groaning. Just when really cold

Everything I had growing up was manual steering so that advice was hardwired into me.

My wife cranks the wheel lock to lock, at a dead stop! It takes all I’ve got to not give her another “driving lesson” every time
Give her a jeep on condition she has to do all repairs. Nevermind, keep your marriage instead.

Ended up with OEM and the dummy idler pulley from TLC. Pretty straightforward install. Good project to do with Dad while he was visiting! Thanks for the help everyone.
View attachment 2732122
View attachment 2732121

GOOD SHOW guys !

GREAT OEM PUMP CHOICE TOO

:)

PM me your shipping addy ......

I WILL throw one of these in the mail to you as a Professional Sample Prize ............ :cool:

1626459689884.png

As promised …..

again good choice you will never regret !

Keep it OEM and Keep it Real !

6E759B60-1A4A-4086-A7AB-DBEC12FBF6DB.jpeg

Had this dilemma on an older 60that I had and now just rebuilding an 85 60 and here's my 02. cents. On my old rig I pulled the smog stuff becuase I could, Put in an alternator in its place and had an extra battery. Nice being able to jump yourself and....power a winch. Then I replaced the leaky oem PS pump with a saginaw and never looked back. Made my own bracket there are options..There are more saginaw pumps in vehicles then imaginable and its because they are a superior design, simple cheap, easy. Toyota did some things really well...the PS pump was not one of them.
On this build I used a smog pump bracket and mounted the PS down low whare the smog pump would be. Fantastic, open, lots of room and turns smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom