Power Steering Overheating?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I put an OME lift on my 97 TLC. Included in the kit was the OME steering stabilizer, which I also put on. Last weekend I take my truck on a fairly light trail in about 90 degree weather. I would say there was about an hour or less of heavy steering around switchbacks and obstacles. Near the end of the trail I start getting whiffs of this smell that kinda smells like paint, maybe a little bit like gas. I pop the hood and I can hear a faint bubbling sound around the power steering reservoir like maybe it's boiling. Engine temps are all reading just fine.

Anybody else experienced this before? Steering felt fine and the problem hasn't returned, but I'm wondering if the increased strain from the new stabilizer is proving too much for my old pump.

Was the engine running when you heard the bubbling sound? I recommend you get a infrared thermometer with the little lazor for checking temps on things like this as well as brakes etc. Cheap and handy.

Fyi if i open the lid of my reservoir for ps i can see the stuff churning due to the pump action not heat. That could be what you hear.

No idea if anything has been removed or added to the steering hydrolic system?

It's not uncommon for the power steering fluid to get too hot while wheeling. The problem has shown up on the forum many times before. If you are going to wheel a lot, It should be addressed. First, and easiest, is to change out the steering fluid with a good quality full synthetic brand. It takes Dextron 3. Mobil 1 makes a full synthetic that can be found at Walmart that is better than Dextron three. Second, the "paperclip" power steering cooler is not the best. It sits down there with no real flow of air being moved across it by the radiator fan. Some cruiserheads go to Summit Racing and find an auxiliary cooler kit, and plumb that in. Lastly, you can increase the size of the reservoir. This last option takes some real work, and you will have to figure it out for yourself. Search around and you should get some good ideas.

Lots of good info in this thread. Has anyone tried a PS reservoir that is larger or has a cap that is designed for severe duty use?

I'm finding that my style of off-roading in swamps and mud may need an enhanced PS reservoir. I have everything enhanced with differential breather extensions and snorkel. I'm finding I may need to use a larger reservoir that's designed for severe duty. The Nishimoto was the first product on the search.

I'm looking for suggestions.

1629297434484.png

I like the looks of this product. I could run the breather tube up and into the diff breather filter junction that's at the top center of the firewall. One of my problems is from mud being sucked into the PS reservoir.

Just thinking about alternatives for severe duty.

1629298317847.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom