Power Steering Hi-Pressure Hose.... (1 Viewer)

I need to get a high pressure line that runs from my OEM power steering pump to a mini truck box.

Can I run a 60-series hose? I don't want to get something that "almost" fits.....I want it to be right. If not, what do you guys suggest as an out-of-the-box-and-ready-to-go alternative?:meh:

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this project and want all the pieces to be ready to go.....:bounce:

Also, I see the power steering cooler that JTO offers for almost $50.....the one on the MAF site looks exactly the same at about 1/2 the price. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!:beer:

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

why not get a stock 40 series PS hose?

Will the fitting on the box side fit the mini truck box? And will the stock hose cost a bajillion dollars? If it WILL fit the mini truck box (and doesn't cost an arm and a leg) can anyone provide a part number? Thanks!

EWheeler - I've spent plenty of time searching this forum and the FAQ's and didn't find my answer....figured someone may have done the same conversion....found plenty of stuff talking about running a hose from a mini truck to a sag pump, but nothing about running it to an OEM pump. If YOU can find it, I'd appreciate a link to the thread....

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star

I need to get a high pressure line that runs from my OEM power steering pump to a mini truck box.

Can I run a 60-series hose? I don't want to get something that "almost" fits.....I want it to be right. If not, what do you guys suggest as an out-of-the-box-and-ready-to-go alternative?:meh:

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this project and want all the pieces to be ready to go.....:bounce:

Also, I see the power steering cooler that JTO offers for almost $50.....the one on the MAF site looks exactly the same at about 1/2 the price. Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!:beer:
I used a Gates 356000 hose when I ran my minitruck box and Tercel pump. It should work just fine for your OEM pump also. I am pretty sure all the Toyota pumps from that vintage used the same thread, 16mm flare. Application is 1982 Toyota 2WD pickup.

EWheeler - I've spent plenty of time searching this forum and the FAQ's and didn't find my answer....figured someone may have done the same conversion....found plenty of stuff talking about running a hose from a mini truck to a sag pump, but nothing about running it to an OEM pump. If YOU can find it, I'd appreciate a link to the thread....
Although MUD is the $h!t, it is not the only resource out there. I frequent Pirate4x4 for technical information and also use Napaonline.com a lot. Not sure what year minitruck your box is from, but a quick search on the Napa website yielded this info (85 pickup):

P/S Pressure Hose - OEM

It appears that the box has a 16mm male inverted flare fitting.

This link is for an FJ60 high pressure hose:

P/S Pressure Hose - OEM

Both ends, box & pump, are a 16mm male inverted flare fitting.

So, you will be looking for a hose with 16mm male inverted flare fititng on each end. Mount up your box & pump & measure the length of hose you need. You can go on napa online (start here ---> NAPA Online PartsPRO SE ) and search through all of the toyota high pressure power steering hoses & find the correct hose (almost every listing has the length & a picture showing the bends on each end) for your application. Hope that helps.

There is an odd ball box from 79 I think that uses a 14mm nut on the return side of the box. Here's a LINK to a post a few years ago that addressed this.

Kevin

I've been away from the computer for a couple days, but thatnks to everyone for their input and advice.

John Smith - Thanks, I'll check into that Gates hose....

Michael Hanson - That would be great if I had the fittings.....the hose that came with my setup has the wrong threads

EWheeler - Your info (and links) were a great help. Thanks a BUNCH....

T-Mack - That is EXACTLY the info I was looking for! You rock.

josharre2000 - I'll make a call to Napa to see if they have the 16mm fittings....thanks

Toyo FJ40 - Thanks for the link...I'd already read that thread, but lots of good info there. I appreciate it!

CruisinGA - Yes, it looks like the 60 series hose will do the job (according to T-Mack). The problem with the stock hose is that I don't have one...the hose that came with my "kit" has the wrong size fittings. I just wanted to make sure the stock hose would fit the mini truck box....and it appears that it will....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom