FJ40 OEM power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know the fittings needed for a return line on a early FJ40 stock power steering set up? I got the box and pump on E-Bay. My steering box has differant size ports for the pressure and return lines. I bought a set of hoses from cruiserparts.net but the set they sent me have the same size fittings on the pressure and return line. I e-mailed them and they said that I have an early steering box with a smaller return and they don't have hoses for it. The set they sent was for a 82 FJ40. If I knew the fitting size I can make up the return.

Thanks
Kevin

The nut on the return line on later Toyotas is about 1mm larger diameter than the high pressure line. I'm guessing that it is 15 mm. The junk yard is full of these fittings.

The return line is the same as the output of the pump? I was told that the smaller line was return which doesn't make sense. so I need a pressure line that's got 2 different fittings on the hose. and the return line is the one furthest from the engine.

does this look like your OEM PS box? this is a stock 1980-1 fj40 PS box with the correct hoses. If your box doesn't look like this, then it might be a OEM fj40 PS casting wtih mini truck guts swaped in(which is identical for fj40 PS, except the fitting)
70133964.jpg

66179059.jpg

66179053.jpg

return line is closest to the motor, high presure on the outside.

Cruiser parts sent you a mini truck line/fitting I suspect. which works just fine for a OEM fj40 PS casting with swaped mini truck gutts

John

Yeah that's it... The smaller fitting is the return...Do you know the fitting size? or someplace to get the fitting?

Thanks

no I dont, I'd measure it for ya but I dont know how(pitch ect)

on the left is OEM fj40, right is OEM mini truck
70133962.jpg

Toyo FJ40 said:
Yeah that's it... The smaller fitting is the return...Do you know the fitting size? or someplace to get the fitting?

Thanks

I can pick up some brake line fittings close to that size and see what I can do. Auto zone had the metric brake fittings I needed so who knows.

Kevin

I stop by the parts store and see if one of the guys knows how to measure the darn fitting.

I checked some of the fittings I had laying around (I'm a plumber so I had a few) A 1/4" NPT fitting screws right in. I ran in a 1/4 x 3/8 flair adapter, flaired a 3/8 pipe and bent a 90 with a tubing bender.... looks almost stock. I fired the beast up on Sun.(first time since it was totaled 2 years ago) and the steering works great. :D

Kevin

I'm not sure about 'Cruiser PS boxes, but this is what I know about minitruck PS boxes...

High pressure line is 16mm and the return nipple is 17mm.

3/8 tube will work with a 17mm inverted flare nut -- that's what I did with mine -- took the nut off a kinked/bad nipple and had a 90 deg. nipple made. Works perfectly since the return line on a saginaw pump from a '77 Volvo 240 is 3/8". A length of 3/8 hydraulic hose and I was done.

My hydraulics guy found a 16mm to 3/8 flare nut adapter somehow and now my high pressure line has SAE fittings on both ends -- therefore, I can have a replacement line made just about anywhere they make hydraulic lines and not have to worry about metric fittings that they won't have handy.

Good luck!!

Jody.

Well, I have something to add to this thread.

Purchased a mini-truck PS box and an OEM FJ40 box casting a while back, got them assembled, gathered the other OEM parts, and put it all in over the 4th of July weekend. A :banana: :banana: :banana: job - until I got to the end!

I had purchased the mini-truck return fitting from the local Toyota dealership, and received the short, straight tube with the silver inverted flare nut, as pictured above, in this thread.

It was then that I found that the mini-truck box I had purchased had had FJ40 guts! It need the unobtanium FJ40 return line. Aw, crap! So close...

What to do? I found this thread, and digested its contents, and then proceeded to figure out that the FJ40 return hole is M14x1.5 threaded. Nobody local had the required inverted flare nut, and online searches turned up nothing!

With that knowledge, and from measurements on the old brass seat, I determined that I needed an 5/16 (actually, 8mm) return line with a 45 degree seat. That's a common brake line size, hmmm....:idea:

I also found a Dorman oil drain plug in M14x1.5 - apparently there are dozens of cars with this size drain plug.

Here's the raw materials:

What_you_need.jpg

Indicate the plug in the lathe:

Indicate_on_lathe.jpg

Face and center drill:

Face_then_centerdrill.jpg

Drill through with 1/4 inch drill, followed by 5/16, followed by 21/64:

drill_through_with_quarter_inch_drill.jpg

Turn the seat for the flare on the nut at 45 degrees (90 degrees included angle):

Turn_45_degree_seat.jpg

Remove the flange with a file (faster than setting up the milling machine), and here's the completed inverted flare nut and the tube:

Assembled_inverted_flange_nut_and_tube.jpg

Couple seconds with the tubing bender and a little fit'n'try on the truck, and here's the completed product:

A_few_seconds_with_the_bender.jpg

Total elapsed time - 45 minutes. Total cost - under $5. Satisfaction - priceless!:cool:

Here's the competed installation:

completed_installation.jpg

We'll get her buttoned up, and the PS purged on Sunday:

ready_to_button_up.jpg

:cheers:

Kirk

not following you. OEM fj40 and mini truck boxs use the same internal/guts. it would be the casting/housing that would have been different

largenfirm said:

Purchased a mini-truck PS box and an OEM FJ40 box casting a while back, got them assembled, gathered the other OEM parts, and put it all in over the 4th of July weekend. A :banana: :banana: :banana: job - until I got to the end!

I had purchased the mini-truck return fitting from the local Toyota dealership, and received the short, straight tube with the silver inverted flare nut, as pictured above, in this thread.

It was then that I found that the mini-truck box I had purchased had had FJ40 guts! It need the unobtanium FJ40 return line. Aw, crap! So close...

What to do? I found this thread, and digested its contents, and then proceeded to figure out that the FJ40 return hole is M14x1.5 threaded. Nobody local had the required inverted flare nut, and online searches turned up nothing!

With that knowledge, and from measurements on the old brass seat, I determined that I needed an 5/16 (actually, 8mm) return line with a 45 degree seat. That's a common brake line size, hmmm....:idea:

I also found a Dorman oil drain plug in M14x1.5 - apparently there are dozens of cars with this size drain plug.

Kirk

Landpimp said:
not following you. OEM fj40 and mini truck boxs use the same internal/guts. it would be the casting/housing that would have been different

Guts are same, but the return fittings are different - the mini truck guts have the larger return fitting, while the FJ40 guts have the smaller return fitting, as you illustrate:

70133962.jpg

I reproduced the fitting on the left, the FJ40 fitting.

The mini truck box I purchased required the smaller FJ40 return fitting (surprise!), so I conclude that someone put FJ40 guts in a mini truck box at some point.

Either that, or there was an unknown variant of the mini truck box that takes the small return fitting.

Obviously, I swapped the guts into an OEM FJ40 housing...

Either way, I now have a steering box that *looks* like an OEM FJ40 box, right down to the smaller return fitting.

I am much pleased. :grinpimp:

Now to bend up the cooling line...

Kirk

Last edited:
The input and output ports are part of the casting and have nothing to due with the "guts" of the PS unit. They can not be changed out to a different thread size.
Steering Box 02.jpg

bsevans said:
The input and output ports are part of the casting and have nothing to due with the "guts" of the PS unit. They can not be changed out to a different thread size.

Wrong. They come out with the guts, and bolt onto the OEM casting.

Look again at your own picture.

Kirk

largenfirm said:

Kirk

I don't think that is was necessarily FJ40 guts in a mini casting. I encountered mini truck boxes with different sized return ports. I just kept loking in the junk yard until I found a return line that had the proper size nut.

Pin_Head said:
I don't think that is was necessarily FJ40 guts in a mini casting. I encountered mini truck boxes with different sized return ports. I just kept loking in the junk yard until I found a return line that had the proper size nut.

That was my thought, too - seems unlikely that someone would gut an FJ40 PS box to fix a mini truck, given the relative production volumes of PS boxes for each.

I'd never seen any mention of different sized ports for mini truck boxes, and the parts illustrations for the mini truck don't illustrate such a variation, either.

Good data - thanks.

Kirk

largenfirm said:
That was my thought, too - seems unlikely that someone would gut an FJ40 PS box to fix a mini truck, given the relative production volumes of PS boxes for each.

I'd never seen any mention of different sized ports for mini truck boxes, and the parts illustrations for the mini truck don't illustrate such a variation, either.

Good data - thanks.

Kirk

That looks great. Now run out and make another one for me :)

I found a brake line fitting that fit and drilled it out to fit a 3/8 line but the nut was too short and the top of the nut bottoms out before the flair seals.
I'm still running a 1/4 brass ips fitting with teflon tape run into the flair.

Kevin

largenfirm said:
Wrong. They come out with the guts, and bolt onto the OEM casting.

Look again at your own picture.

Kirk
Now I understand what you are talking about - my bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom