1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power steering gearbox leaking

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by nyk438, Jul 8, 2005.

1. nyk438

nyk438

How much of a job is it to swap the gearbox. I can get one used no leaks for $300

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    That particular job is straight forward. You will need appropriate tools to remove the pitman arm from the gearbox and to remove the fluid fittings. I would not suggest you attempt the job unless you have the proper tools for those steps.

3. nyk438

nyk438

Thanks for the response, I don't have the proper tools as it seems, just basic car tools and sockets and wrenches. How many hours of labor would this be?

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I do not know what the "book" time is but I would allow 3-4 hours for one of us to do it, assuming proper tools and cold beers...:D

5. nyk438

nyk438

2-3 horus doesn't sound that bad. Might have LCS my local cruiser shop do it once I get a freaking job :mad: . No one will hire me ANYWHERE due to the fact that I'm gone at the end of the summer. Been this way since the beginning of June. Still waiting on getting the money to replace my main o2 sensor.

6. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Where did you find a box for $300 ... I've been looking for about a year, last one on eBay went for $600+. Find another one and we can do both in my driveway :D

Tucker