Power steering hose banjo bolt fitting leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I've taken to task the replacement of the high pressure power steering line. I picked up a Duralast hose (for theb80, it lines up and looks right) and swapped them out. After torquing it down, im getting a leak at the top of the bolt. The gaskets are new. Should the pirt be tight against the pump (ive tried it tight and loosened it up some, no change).

New Toyota dual gasket? Once it's been crushed it can't be reused. Maybe try a new Toyota gasket (see below).

Check to see if an old gasket is stuck on the pump and if the new hose fitting is flat on both sides of the union.

This is what you want:

High pressure union dual gasket.jpg

New Toyota dual gasket? Once it's been crushed it can't be reused.
Check to see if an old gasket is stuck on the pump and if the new hose fitting is flat on both sides of the union.
New Toyota dual gasket. Failed right out of the gate. Everything seems to be flush. The leak is at the banjo bolthead and the gasket.

If the Duralast banjo is not as tall/thick as the OEM one and you reuse the OEM banjo bolt, you will bottom out the bolt on the pump leaving gap allowing leakage. This happened with my non OEM high pressure hose too so I bit the bullet for a new OEM hose. Problem solved. For a quick and dirty fix you may want try to stack gaskets. May reduce the leaking.

If the Duralast banjo is not as tall/thick as the OEM one and you reuse the OEM banjo bolt, you will bottom out the bolt on the pump leaving gap allowing leakage. This happened with my non OEM high pressure hose too so I bit the bullet for a new OEM hose. Problem solved. For a quick and dirty fix you may want try to stack gaskets. May reduce the leaking.
That was my initial thought (bottoming out the bolt). I thought by loosening the port (and I assume raising it) that the leak would come from the bottom of the fitting instead of the top. Well that didn't pan out. I thin I'm going to try a different line and ANOTHER new gasket.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

You might could file down the end of the banjo bolt with a flat file depending on how much difference in thickness the aftermarket hose connection is compared to the OEM hose end. Then clean up the threads with thread file if needed??

I ran into a somewhat similar situation with aftermarket brake bleed screws, the tip was just a hair too long so wouldn't seat fully.

You might could file down the end of the banjo bolt with a flat file depending on how much difference in thickness the aftermarket hose connection is compared to the OEM hose end. Then clean up the threads with thread file if needed??

I ran into a somewhat similar situation with aftermarket brake bleed screws, the tip was just a hair too long so wouldn't seat fully.
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to run to thevdealership tomorrow for another new gasket and look into that idea. Thanks!

If you don't have one yet you could maybe pick up a digital caliper measuring tool and compare thickness of the old hose end to the new??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom