Post your wheeling damage pics (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stuff happens when you wheel those kinds of trails. Rock vs. aluminum and steel...bet on the rock every time no matter how well the metal is done. All the precautions equipment-wise mitigate, not eliminate damage.
Fwiw, I didn't say anything different. This is a trail damage thread. I was showing what I thought people wanted to see.

I am pretty certain that a different cut with more clearance on the vertical portion of the wing would have avoided the lower hatch damage. But Dissent is good about making improvements, so I'm sure they'll figure it out and improve it for future buyers.

Fwiw, I didn't say anything different. This is a trail damage thread. I was showing what I thought people wanted to see.

I am pretty certain that a different cut with more clearance on the vertical portion of the wing would have avoided the lower hatch damage. But Dissent is good about making improvements, so I'm sure they'll figure it out and improve it for future buyers.

Looks like a helluva trip 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Looks like a helluva trip 🙌🏻🙌🏻
Epic. The hardest stuff I've ever done.Eight days where we hit a lot of bucket list trails including fins and things, hells revenge, top of the world and poison spider (plus a ton of others). We got back to camp after 10pm multiple days.

901D7D33-DEF8-4164-BCA4-F8B05E8AA877.jpeg

Epic. The hardest stuff I've ever done.Eight days where we hit a lot of bucket list trails including fins and things, hells revenge, top of the world and poison spider (plus a ton of others). We got back to camp after 10pm multiple days.

View attachment 3307877

The above mentioned trails are all my Moab favorites. Jealous!

Once I bust out the pressure washer in the next couple days and get some pictures, you'll get to see what a San Juans trip, some local northern Utah trails, and a Cruise Moab trip (Top of the World, Fins and Things, Poison Spider) will do to the stock plastic bumpers of an LX. Definitely took some damage, but basically all cosmetic.

I can't even imagine those trails on stock plastics. I had scraping, slamming, and approach angle issues on many spots with high clearance metal front/rear bumpers. I was trying to take the same lines as my friend in a built jeep though, so maybe there were bypasses?

Once I bust out the pressure washer in the next couple days and get some pictures, you'll get to see what a San Juans trip, some local northern Utah trails, and a Cruise Moab trip (Top of the World, Fins and Things, Poison Spider) will do to the stock plastic bumpers of an LX. Definitely took some damage, but basically all cosmetic.

What size tire and sensor lift are you running? Looking forward to the pics.

So here’s Hells, Wipeout Hill, and Fins. That’s from the one time I dropped it into Normal by accident on Hells! 37s and a body lift are cheaper than a rear bumper!

Edit: so my charming wife reminded me of the price for the tundra swap parts, paint/consumables, sway bar parts, body lift parts, and five 37s at $550 per (with warranty).

So maybe a rear bumper is cheaper?

9A1B824F-C67A-4F89-92EE-8B78FD9FCFFF.jpeg

Last edited:
So here’s Hells, Wipeout Hill, and Fins. That’s from the one time I dropped it into Normal by accident on Hells! 37s and a body lift are cheaper than a rear bumper!

View attachment 3311107

It's always that pesky rear of which departure is probably the most limiting geometry of this truck. That damage is pretty tame and credit to all the work you've done on the rest of the car. How much body lift and sensor lift (if any) have done? And then the Tundra arms which may have given just a bit extra? Trying to understand how much clearance you have to ride out with such little rash.

It's always that pesky rear of which departure is probably the most limiting geometry of this truck. That damage is pretty tame and credit to all the work you've done on the rest of the car. How much body lift and sensor lift (if any) have done? And then the Tundra arms which may have given just a bit extra? Trying to understand how much clearance you have to ride out with such little rash.

No sensor lift and a 1” body lift. Definitely fully stuffed a few times and no rubbing/scuffing or fender/wheel well damage too. Always nice to see you’ve cut enough lol

I can't even imagine those trails on stock plastics. I had scraping, slamming, and approach angle issues on many spots with high clearance metal front/rear bumpers. I was trying to take the same lines as my friend in a built jeep though, so maybe there were bypasses?

One thing that always amazes me when I'm in Moab is how varied the line over an obstacle can be between different vehicles. These trucks' approach and departure angles require what can seem like an unorthodox approach to the steep climbs and drop-offs in Moab. Where a solid axle vehicle on 37+" tires can approach a climb or drop off straight on, the geometry of a 200 might require taking an approach where you end up staggering the tires of each axle in order not to climb or drop both sides of the truck at the same time. This can feel unsettling coming down waterfalls and drop-offs, but it's also where the sure-footedness and balance of a 200 shines, particularly for a rig with IFS. If you have a spotter setting you up on the same line as a Jeep or an 80-series, it's a recipe for damage. Going to Moab is a mindset change for me, and honestly, I still don't have enough experience out there to always wheel with the utmost confidence if my goal is to keep damage to a minimum. Mrs. JohnJB did a lot more driving this year and did Fins for the first time with @mcgaskins in the passenger seat while I drove our friend's 62. Matt could do most of the spotting from inside the truck and only got out to take video. He guided her down some of the steeper lines off the fins, directing her so that the front bumper would only kiss the sand and not run aground. This is all the truck has to show from it:
IMG_3475.jpg

The only thing that might be a little unique about my setup is that I have 2723 springs in the rear while not having drawers or anything outside of a basic recovery kit with a few tools in the truck. Therefore the rear of the truck sits about an inch higher than other 200s running the same ~34" tire size but with 2721s, which is what many would run without any sort of build or rear bumper. It's minor but makes a big difference in whether the rear touches while wheeling.

What size tire and sensor lift are you running? Looking forward to the pics.

I’m on 295/70/18 G003’s, front height sensors maxed out but nothing tweaked through techstream. Did quite a bit of work to the front fender liners but only got these tires in March so I’ve still been working through the clearance stuff.

Didn’t get a good chance to get all the pictures, but here’s a teaser. Front bumper, front skid, sliders/AHC skids (Slee), rear bumper, and exhaust resonator/tip all got hit pretty good. Fender liners in the front (mostly the passenger side) got kinda hammered. Bumpers are just plastic, sliders are made to take it, and exhaust is no big deal. I took a couple decent dings to the factory skids as well as a scrape on the little transfer case skid, so those might be what I focus on next. I was surprised how much the hitch acted as a skid even being mounted so high up. There are a couple vertical ribs just below the 2” receiver that did some work. The front and rear tiedown points also act as pretty good approach/departure skids.

PXL_20230428_232157721.jpg

Just a few would-be scratches, protection worked as it should. Thanks for the great products @sleeoffroad @TRAIL TAILOR @turbo8

I was on the fence before, but I think it's now time to trim my rear mud flaps.

20230630_094106.jpg

20230630_094132.jpg

20230630_094202.jpg

20230630_094221.jpg

20230630_094243.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom