Post your wheeling damage pics (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heya Jeff,
I had an early set of Nittos that chunked…BUT…Nitto replaced them as they were declared a “defective batch.” I’ve literally beaten the poo out of my current set of Ridge Grapplers through two Cruise Moabs, and all over, and no such issue.

Might be worth taking it up with them. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’ll reach out so… maybe? My last set was chunking a little bit and Nitto said “take them to a Nitto dealer to review”. Discount Tire just gave me a 20% credit for the remaining tread life (which was probably 40%).

I’ve put another 7-8k on these since TOTW and they’re falling apart at the seams (edges), and ridiculously noisy. I’ll take a pic before I swap them just for posterity, but the lugs on the edges look like someone took a full knife to them and tried to remove them from the outside. I probably shouldn’t have run them to Canada and back after the LCDC but I’m still on the fence which 35” tire to try.

I’ll reach out so… maybe? My last set was chunking a little bit and Nitto said “take them to a Nitto dealer to review”. Discount Tire just gave me a 20% credit for the remaining tread life (which was probably 40%).

I’ve put another 7-8k on these since TOTW and they’re falling apart at the seams (edges), and ridiculously noisy. I’ll take a pic before I swap them just for posterity, but the lugs on the edges look like someone took a full knife to them and tried to remove them from the outside. I probably shouldn’t have run them to Canada and back after the LCDC but I’m still on the fence which 35” tire to try.

Just 1.5 cents…
If I do 35’s again…I’ll probably go narrower that my former 12.5, or not at all. 12.5 was ok, but 11.5 just handles way better IMO, especially in dirt. I’m sure opinions vary…

Just 1.5 cents…
If I do 35’s again…I’ll probably go narrower that my former 12.5, or not at all. 12.5 was ok, but 11.5 just handles way better IMO, especially in dirt. I’m sure opinions vary…
Yeah I’m forced to decide between 35x11.5 Nitto RGs which will likely chunk in 30k miles based on my experience of my last two sets, or 35x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry Trail R/T which is newer and has a similar tread pattern but is wider and will probably have clearance issues.

Weighing clearance benefits but likely chunking, vs all the unknowns of a new tire plus likely clearance issues. I’ll let you know what I decide but I’m a sucker for making bad decisions over and over again expecting different results.

Yeah I’m forced to decide between 35x11.5 Nitto RGs which will likely chunk in 30k miles based on my experience of my last two sets, or 35x12.5 Toyo OpenCountry Trail R/T which is newer and has a similar tread pattern but is wider and will probably have clearance issues.

Weighing clearance benefits but likely chunking, vs all the unknowns of a new tire plus likely clearance issues. I’ll let you know what I decide but I’m a sucker for making bad decisions over and over again expecting different results.

I didn’t know RGs came in 35x11.5 now.
Hmmm.
Ohhh… Are you on 18’s?
I’m on 17 RW.
Still wondering if you got dud sets… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn’t know RGs came in 35x11.5 now.
Hmmm.
Ohhh… Are you on 18’s?
I’m on 17 RW.
Still wondering if you got dud sets… 🤷🏻‍♂️
17” Icons, so my offset is +25.

It’s possible mine are duds. But I’ve had 2 sets. They seem to degrade on me after 25-30k miles :-(

Edit: tire comparison:
Nitto 35x11.5 is actually 34.76" x 11.42", 66.3 lbs: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-ridge-grappler/p/117655
vs
Toyo 35x12.5 is 34.53" x 12.5", 68 lbs: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-open-country-r-t-trail

Last edited:
17” Icons, so my offset is +25.

It’s possible mine are duds. But I’ve had 2 sets. They seem to degrade on me after 25-30k miles :-(

Edit: tire comparison:
Nitto 35x11.5 is actually 34.76" x 11.42", 66.3 lbs: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-ridge-grappler/p/117655
vs
Toyo 35x12.5 is 34.53" x 12.5", 68 lbs: Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person - https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-open-country-r-t-trail

Thanks for that info. Those skinnies didn’t exist when I started running RG 35’s in 2017.

I don’t know if they make the size you would want, but I’ve been very happy with my Yoko G003’s

Not familiar with those. What sort of terrain is your tendency off-road?

Not familiar with those. What sort of terrain is your tendency off-road?

All of Utah pretty much. The northern part is a little more dirt and chunky rock compared to the sand and slickrock of Moab and the like. Not much mud.

I don’t know if they make the size you would want, but I’ve been very happy with my Yoko G003’s
35s yeah. I’d really like x11.5 wide. I may go x12.5 and deal with the rubbing. Not sure I want the noise of an MT though. :-/

@linuxgod my experience with the G003’s is that they are superior for a MT on the road, minimal noise and decent handling for having such large voids an tread blocks. But still not ideal for daily use. When I swap back to a medium/aggressive AT tire it feels and sounds like I am rolling on Michelin Defenders, the difference is night and day. As good as the Yokos are in the mud and off road I have been disappointed in their performance and durability in the rocks. After one trail run I had noticeable chunks and tears in the lugs and the sidewall had a good sized cut that went about half way through.

My old “budget” Kendra Klever RTs had done these same rocky trails and experienced non of this tire damage over two years of use.

I vote for either an aggressive AT or RT Tire such as the Kenda Klever, Toyo RT Trail, Yoko AT-X, Falken RT, or the Baja Boss AT.

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

@linuxgod my experience with the G003’s is that they are superior for a MT on the road, minimal noise and decent handling for having such large voids an tread blocks. But still not ideal for daily use.

I agree that they’re remarkably quiet.. for what they are. Definitely louder than an AT but not by a ton. My LX shares daily duties roughly 50/50 and I haven’t had any complaints with them. That might change in the snow though, we’ll see.

I haven’t had any of the chunking or damage issues you’ve had. I tend to have a pretty light right foot while crawling. Not a lot of wheelspin. Maybe that’s the difference?

I agree that they’re remarkably quiet.. for what they are. Definitely louder than an AT but not by a ton. My LX shares daily duties roughly 50/50 and I haven’t had any complaints with them. That might change in the snow though, we’ll see.

I haven’t had any of the chunking or damage issues you’ve had. I tend to have a pretty light right foot while crawling. Not a lot of wheelspin. Maybe that’s the difference?
Normally I don’t spin much. I made the mistake of sending it on TOTW where I should have probably stopped, backed up, engaged the front locker, and tried again.

My Nittos had a very small amount of chunking before this but I really destroyed them sadly. My last set had chunking issues too though not nearly as bad as these, and I definitely wasn’t spinning tires. Low PSI off-road is generally bad for them I think. My gut says the rubber is soft and it’s not the spinning that’s chunking them (per se), but the times when they grip (or partly grip and spin just a bit) that quickly tear them up. Kinda like how it’s not the jump that kills you, it’s the sudden stop at the end.

I have limited experience with them on packed snow. They weren't great,definitely not as confidence inspiring as a AT or RT, this is where the Kenda RTs really shined. After getting to the trail and going over the packed snow on the street they did amazing. Grip was unstoppable and when aired down I didn't have any noticeable wheel spin. My buddy was running the Kenda Klever RTs on his FJ and he had noticeable trouble in spots where the 200 with the G003s would grip down through the snow and find traction beneath.

The chunking I encountered wasn't due to any excessive wheel spin but I think is because of the softer compound and large lugs churning against the sharp rocks and granite of the Sierra Nevadas. Two years of running the Kendas showed maybe 10% of the wear the Yokos experienced in just two trail runs in the rocks. No real regrets with the Yokos as they are very livable for a MT and the off road traction is unreal.

I have limited experience with them on packed snow. They weren't great,definitely not as confidence inspiring as a AT or RT, this is where the Kenda RTs really shined. After getting to the trail and going over the packed snow on the street they did amazing. Grip was unstoppable and when aired down I didn't have any noticeable wheel spin. My buddy was running the Kenda Klever RTs on his FJ and he had noticeable trouble in spots where the 200 with the G003s would grip down through the snow and find traction beneath.

The chunking I encountered wasn't due to any excessive wheel spin but I think is because of the softer compound and large lugs churning against the sharp rocks and granite of the Sierra Nevadas. Two years of running the Kendas showed maybe 10% of the wear the Yokos experienced in just two trail runs in the rocks. No real regrets with the Yokos as they are very livable for a MT and the off road traction is unreal.
I would get those replaced. I have destroyed a few different manufacturers tires with our 200s and these g003 seem to hold up better than anything we have had in the last 4 years. (Ridge grappler, Cooper Dt max, falken, toyo mt and toyo at).

My only complaint is you only get about 30-35k out of a set. Other than that they are pretty incredible. Especially at 10psi crawling and in deep snow.

I feel like any tire will chunk, it is so situational. All our tires that have chunked pretty poorly (toyo at3 the worst), I have been able to get replaced with little trouble.

Your chunking seems to be an anomaly, I know quite a few people that use them. And will probably continue to do so based on their versatility for an MT.

Also they are magical if you get them siped. And if you spend any considerable time on the highway I would look elsewhere, they still don’t compare to the comfort of an AT and get considerably worse as they wear.

I would try and get a new set, I bet you could.

I would get those replaced. I have destroyed a few different manufacturers tires with our 200s and these g003 seem to hold up better than anything we have had in the last 4 years. (Ridge grappler, Cooper Dt max, falken, toyo mt and toyo at).

My only complaint is you only get about 30-35k out of a set. Other than that they are pretty incredible. Especially at 10psi crawling and in deep snow.

I feel like any tire will chunk, it is so situational. All our tires that have chunked pretty poorly (toyo at3 the worst), I have been able to get replaced with little trouble.

Your chunking seems to be an anomaly, I know quite a few people that use them. And will probably continue to do so based on their versatility for an MT.

Also they are magical if you get them siped. And if you spend any considerable time on the highway I would look elsewhere, they still don’t compare to the comfort of an AT and get considerably worse as they wear.

I would try and get a new set, I bet you could.
Glad to hear they are treating you well too. Are yours siped? Any pics? I figured adding sipes would weaken the overall strength of the tread lugs/blocks and make this type of damage more common, thoughts?
Aggreed, any tire will chunk and the type of trails and terrain play a big part as well as skinny pedal application. While I didn't use or need the skinny pedal to get over obstacles i did have the multi-terrain set to "mud" which allows the most wheel spin before activating traction control, maybe this played a role in accelerating the tire wear in the rocky terrain.

Well it's nice to see I am in good company with chunked up tires lol. Those are some top tier manufacturers too.

So far in my experience the Kenda Klever RTs and K02s have faired well and resisted chunking pretty well.

I have had two of the 5 yoko MTs replaced so far and will keep an eye on how the others look after hitting the trails this weekend. It's a total nightmare having the tire shops struggle with the Method bead grip wheels. Combined with the tighter then typicial bead that Yokohama uses makes for RPITA.

View attachment 3438198
Think a downed log did this, in the Jemez, NM.
Bummer, I did nearly that same identical damage. Use a heat gun a box wrench to warm up and push/mold back the dent/crease. Mine looks 95 %better after 20min do work.

Reactions: JLH

Users who are viewing this thread

• pcut
Back
Top Bottom