Post up what you pedal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like that gravel bike @SIG383

Alloy frame carbon fork?

I'll play :beer:

Here's my 2020 Giant Fathom 2:
D0IZepV.jpg

Giant Fathom 29er. Pretty decent bit of kit with excellent geo for the coin from a big company.

Plus it matches my 80! Working on a mount for my tire swing now.

View attachment 2527962
The geometry on this bike is killer for down hills....
Considered a hardcore hard-tail.. and great color to boot...

Giant Fathom 29er. Pretty decent bit of kit with excellent geo for the coin from a big company.

Plus it matches my 80! Working on a mount for my tire swing now.

View attachment 2527962

I love the new 2021's. I was a little upset to hear that they upgraded the 2021 when I just bought a 2020 but it is what it is.

Yeah I bet that Giant is a ton of fun at the Auburn bike park @MaK92 4RnR

They're Crank Brothers, I believe. Flat, billet aluminum. Needless to say, my legs hate them but my feet love them. lmao
That’s what I thought they were but wasn’t 100% sure. On my MTB I’m running aluminum OneUp which like you, my shins have the scars, but my feet love them! On my gravel I’ve got the Crank Brothers Candy 11s which are awesome clipless.

Seeing all the bikes along with everything else on this site makes me really want to ride again as well as be able to drive. Hopefully I will get cleared by my doctors by beginning of March, fingers crossed

Yeah I bet that Giant is a ton of fun at the Auburn bike park @MaK92 4RnR

For a hardtail, it's a fantastic bike. I really wish I would've known the 2021s had big changes coming and i would've held out for that model but hey... it still works. lol

That’s what I thought they were but wasn’t 100% sure. On my MTB I’m running aluminum OneUp which like you, my shins have the scars, but my feet love them! On my gravel I’ve got the Crank Brothers

Yeah, they're great pedals! but they do chew your legs up pretty good. Those metal teeth get you pretty good every once in awhile. hahaha

For a hardtail, it's a fantastic bike. I really wish I would've known the 2021s had big changes coming and i would've held out for that model but hey... it still works. lol

Yeah, they're great pedals! but they do chew your legs up pretty good. Those metal teeth get you pretty good every once in awhile. hahaha
Lol, that they do. My latest scar from a ride in December
7268A7A9-18D3-4B32-AE07-FBD5B3AE7E2D.jpeg

Tough part about that waiting game, now more that ever in the bike industry, will be delivery dates and inventory. I'd let that thought go and be happy to have a bike, that most bike shops are probably wishing they had over-bought last time around.

Tough part about that waiting game, now more that ever in the bike industry, will be delivery dates and inventory. I'd let that thought go and be happy to have a bike, that most bike shops are probably wishing they had over-bought last time around.

Oh i'm definitely grateful to have a bike! I've been trying to find the girlfriend an entry level mountain bike and there's nothing here in Northern California within the price range we're looking.

The geometry on this bike is killer for down hills....
Considered a hardcore hard-tail.. and great color to boot...

It's been great so far. Granted we aren't Whistler down here in Florida, but we do have a pretty good MTB trail system in the Big Bend area. The bike is better than my ability, but she's been rock solid. "Hardcore hard tail" is perfect for what we have. Haven't really come across anything that I would necessitate a full squish for just yet.

Loving the Trekking Green. Looks great against my 6M1 Collector's Edition. Still need to fab up a hinge system so I can tuck it in closer to the truck, but it works fine for getting to trails around town.

1614014278020.png

I love the new 2021's. I was a little upset to hear that they upgraded the 2021 when I just bought a 2020 but it is what it is.

The upgrades are what got me to pull the trigger. I had my eye on a Kona but just kept striking out when it came to picking one up. As much as I love the '21 Fathom, they were unobtainium. I finally said screw it and rode up to my local shop to put in an order figuring I'd just have to wait 6 months - figured a better shot of a big company than a smaller Kona.

As chance would have it, the exact bike in the exact size, and the exact color I wanted was delivered about 5 minutes before I pulled up. It was ordered for another guy in town, but just as I finished all the paperwork to get my own on order, the original guy that ordered it called to back out of his deal. Got to take it home that night!

It's been great so far. Granted we aren't Whistler down here in Florida, but we do have a pretty good MTB trail system in the Big Bend area. The bike is better than my ability, but she's been rock solid. "Hardcore hard tail" is perfect for what we have. Haven't really come across anything that I would necessitate a full squish for just yet.

Loving the Trekking Green. Looks great against my 6M1 Collector's Edition. Still need to fab up a hinge system so I can tuck it in closer to the truck, but it works fine for getting to trails around town.

View attachment 2593064

The upgrades are what got me to pull the trigger. I had my eye on a Kona but just kept striking out when it came to picking one up. As much as I love the '21 Fathom, they were unobtainium. I finally said screw it and rode up to my local shop to put in an order figuring I'd just have to wait 6 months - figured a better shot of a big company than a smaller Kona.

As chance would have it, the exact bike in the exact size, and the exact color I wanted was delivered about 5 minutes before I pulled up. It was ordered for another guy in town, but just as I finished all the paperwork to get my own on order, the original guy that ordered it called to back out of his deal. Got to take it home that night!

Damn, that's pretty lucky. The Desert Tan Fathom 2 that I picked up was the same situation, I originally test rode it and then walked away and then called back a week later to see if the local shop still had one and all they had was black. I pulled the trigger on the black one and hung up the phone. Sales rep called me back an hour later and said he found a Desert Tan in the box still. So I went with that one and he put it together. Been riding it around since. lol

The bike industry here in Germany is the same it seems. Even getting spare parts has been a challenge. Took me three weeks just to get sealant for a tubeless setup, lol.

As an employee of a global bicycle parts manufacturer, the industry as a whole is affected across all regions and supply chains. This is not surprising given the location of most manufactured bicycle items, and subsequently, the location of the majority of the consumers.

Supply has not been able to keep up with the sudden onset demand, let alone the resurgence and re-discovered need for local bike shops versus online retailers. When I left the bike shop in 2016 after ~10 years in the retail bike shop environment, I was certain most brick and mortars were done for. One plus about the pandemic has been the ability for brick and mortars to regain some foothold in the average consumers life.

The supply chain issues are far from over, as manufactured timelines expand from next model year to several. Buy what you can, when you can ( as shown above with these harcore hardtails) and support your local bike shop whenever possible! Their skill, expertise, and access to the brands you love depends on your continued patronage.

The supply chain issues are far from over, as manufactured timelines expand from next model year to several. Buy what you can, when you can ( as shown above with these harcore hardtails) and support your local bike shop whenever possible! Their skill, expertise, and access to the brands you love depends on your continued patronage.

Well said. Fortunately, I have a great local shop just down the road from me that I worked in 25 years ago and that I still support today. The only things that don't come from the shop are custom Chinese frames and rims, and anytime I find take-off parts for less than half off. You've commented on my gravel build and I really am torn between the custom frame and getting one of the Warakins that they have coming in in late April or early May. The shop has been having issues getting me the fork for my single speed since last fall. Luckily it's still ski season here so no rush just yet.

Thanks for chiming in in regards to the state of the industry. BTW, are you able to share which company you work for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom