Post pics of your GX 460 in action, off-road and 4 Wheeling (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whereabouts is that? I’d really like to check it out!
Peridot Mesa east of Globe. Be sure to get a tribal recreation permit, now only available at the Fish and Game office in Peridot, call ahead to see if they're actually open. Poppies are out this time of year, and they'll usually have a tribal officer checking permits.
20230317_170535.jpg

:cool:

I can't wait to get back to AZ and see the spring bloom, with all the rain earlier this year

:cool:

I can't wait to get back to AZ and see the spring bloom, with all the rain earlier this year
It's a tad early for most places, but shaping up to be an epic superbloom.

Things are blooming here in Verde Valley , Az.
Been years since I've seen it like this , 25 years maybe

My first time doing any real level of off roading on Old Ore Road in Big Bend NP. It doesn’t look like much, but I had a good time! I have since installed a 2" Dobinsons IMS lift and now waiting on some RCI sliders :)

we did Old Ore Road in the fall of 2020 in the DSRTGX, traveling from AZ to Louisiana

after a short while going north on Old Ore Road, we encountered a Border Patrol officer in his vehicle, who is snickering at our Lexus - but is willing to let us go on after seeing we had AT tires, and learning that the GX has low-range

I think he seriously expected us to see us coming back, which -of course- didn't happen :p - we did encounter a Nissan traveling south who claimed there was an off-camber spot that was "too hard", and we also had been warned by a National Park Ranger the day before that there was a really bad "sideways" spot

so we kept anticipating this supposedly dangerous "sideways" spot . . . all the way until we hit asphalt again - where did we miss it ? :confused:

turns out, I think he meant an off-camber section where the most heavily travelled tracks indicated that people commonly went high to really get away from what looked like a soft shoulder - and since I really hate off-camber, I drove there NOT taking the high bank, but straddling both sides of the washed-out V between the tires - so :meh: (let it have been 100-200 feet, but hubby wasn't even getting nervous)

and indeed, the right shoulder was close to a ~4-5-foot drop on the side where hubby was sitting, but hey: it wasn't off-camber on my side :flipoff2::hillbilly: :lol:

Last edited:
it wasn't off-camber on my side :flipoff2::hillbilly: :lol:
this phrase harks back to an epic CopperState Cruisers wheeling trip on a New Years Day circa 2011 (Saturday 1-1-11 Devil's Canyon/Easter Island - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/saturday-1-1-11-devils-canyon-easter-island.445680/), when there was snow and ice on the trails:

I was driving the 40, with Michael sitting on the passenger side bench (because there was something wrong why he couldn't drive his Blazer, I don't recall the details)

with snow and patches of ice on a shelf road, which tilted ever more to the right as I drove on . . . Michael goes: "hey, it's off-camber over here . . . "
but from my perspective then: "well, it's not off-camber on my side" :flipoff2: and so I motor on :steer: :grinpimp:

Last edited:
several years prior, we had a similar experience, when I was bouncing the 40 up the Golden Stairs in Moab with Michael in the passenger seat being bounced ever more sliding out the right side off the passenger bench :hillbilly:

we did Old Ore Road in the fall of 2020 in the DSRTGX, traveling from AZ to Louisiana

after a short while going north on Old Ore Road, we encountered a Border Patrol officer in his vehicle, who is snickering at our Lexus - but is willing to let us go on after seeing we had AT tires, and learning that the GX has low-range

I think he seriously expected us to see us coming back, which -of course- didn't happen :p - we did encounter a Nissan traveling south who claimed there was an off-camber spot that was "too hard", and we also had been warned by a National Park Ranger the day before that there was a really bad "sideways" spot

so we kept anticipating this supposedly dangerous "sideways" spot . . . all the way until we hit asphalt again - where did we miss it ? :confused:

turns out, I think he meant an off-camber section where the most heavily travelled tracks indicated that people commonly went high to really get away from what looked like a soft shoulder - and since I really hate off-camber, I drove there NOT taking the high bank, but straddling both sides of the washed-out V between the tires - so :meh: (let it have been 100-200 feet, but hubby wasn't even getting nervous)

and indeed, the right shoulder was close to a ~4-5-foot drop on the side where hubby was sitting, but hey: it wasn't off-camber on my side :flipoff2::hillbilly: :lol:
That's good info. I live in the Hill Country and Big Bend is first on my list once I get the AT tires on our stock GX. I had read that Old Ore was doable but might have a few tough spots. Good to know we should be ok.

I didn’t encounter any doubters on the trail. As a matter of fact, I only encountered a total of 5 vehicles the entire way. 3 jeeps, an X-Terra, and a lifted Subaru. All five stopped to chat, and we complimented rigs. The word seems to be out that the GX is very capable, at least within the off-road community. I was able to complete with very cautious navigation without a lift, low hanging bumpers/steps, and Defender LTX tires.

There was a Unimog that was overturned on Old Ore a few years ago. I made sure to take it real easy at that part lol

Another pic:

A014CF98-EDC3-422D-803C-58DFFD3A2179.jpeg

I didn’t encounter any doubters on the trail. As a matter of fact, I only encountered a total of 5 vehicles the entire way. 3 jeeps, an X-Terra, and a lifted Subaru. All five stopped to chat, and we complimented rigs. The word seems to be out that the GX is very capable, at least within the off-road community. I was able to complete with very cautious navigation without a lift, low hanging bumpers/steps, and Defender LTX tires.

There was a Unimog that was overturned on Old Ore a few years ago. I made sure to take it real easy at that part lol

Another pic:

View attachment 3288860
yeah, we only saw 3 vehicles the entire trail - that was during the first year of the pandemic, though; it could be busier now

yeah, we only saw 3 vehicles the entire trail - that was during the first year of the pandemic, though; it could be busier now
I went in the last week of February, before spring break. I have heard that that is the end of the “slow season“ at that park. Makes sense to me.

Honestly, the people that I have met while wheeling so far have been pretty incredible. Even with a small sample of the people at Big Bend, they were all extremely nice, helpful, and genuinely interested in each others set ups. I even got my first Jeep wave Lol. Never happens on suburb roads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom