post 2003 nav delete how to. (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's for the late 2002 and early 2003 guys. The m8 and m5 for them are the two in the truck that would need adapters. Not the big m5, (different one) for the late 2003 + since I was asked if I had found one. I've tried to avoid it on cost alone. not to mention the sheer number of adapters and connectors that people don't want to cut off. That is until I'm sitting there with wire cutters in my hand. Saying things like... you know someone installing a stereo is going to have a hard time jamming this all in there.

I did order 3 with terminals for the next one that comes along. If it does.

Saying things like... you know someone installing a stereo is going to have a hard time jamming this all in there.
Damn right. Alpine's new ilx407 is a shallow mount I have one on order from crutchfield for my 2006

m8 males pictured below. These are unmarked, appear to be fakes, much like all the stereo plugs everyone buys. I coild be wrong though. Never seen a sumi unsealed male.
If anyone wants one let me know. If you buy from the company in the previous pic, get the smallest terminals they offer. You can use 18, 20 and 22 gauge wire in these and 18 fits in the cavity. The terminals do look decent.

m8male2021.jpg

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 2003 land cruiser and knew this would be one of the first projects I tackled. I've actually had all the swap parts for about a month, but I've been waiting to do the swap because every head unit I want is out of stock due to the chip shortage. Today I decided to a quick test of the new AC unit and while doing so I discovered a bunch a whole mess of modified wires.

I knew the previous the owner had installed a bluetooth adapter, but when I took everything apart I also found a second Parrot hands free adapter. Both were terribly installed and there was a complete mess of sticky electrical tape, poorly soldered wires, and even some random cabinet shelf liners used for foam padding I guess. Needless to say, I tried to take care of everything and revert it as best I could.

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

The good news is the new AC assembly works great.
IMG_1768.jpeg

This is the mess of cables I ended up pulling out.
IMG_1778.jpeg

Had to crimp a few connectors back together and then reinstalled everything how it came to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Everything works as it should. Hopefully I'll actually complete this swap in the next few weeks when I finally get a head unit. Thanks Jerry for the harness and all help so far.

IMG_1767.jpeg

edited 11 Aug 2019 to include harness install and explanation pics.

CLIMATE CONTROL

55902-60110 PANEL SUB ASSY, A/C
55912-60150 (ACTUAL PART # ON PLASTIC 688683-0020) HOUSING, HEATER CONTROL

84014-60190 BOARD SUB-ASSY, PRINTED WIRE INTEGRATION
Part Number: 84014-60350 for 01/2006 and later production. edit april19

88650-60B80 AMPLIFIER ASSY, A/C 2005-7 only.

the 88650-60821 ac amp board is for 2003&4 and up to 05/2005 production verification needed on a few wires.
The 88650-60810 ac amp is also recommended by some dealers.
There is also a 88650-60820 ac amp that works, or has been reported to work in early years.

55905-60780 KNOB, HEATER CONTROL

CLOCK
83240-60220 CASE ASSY
83265-60220 COMPUTER

the double din plastic surround- only place I've found the correct size.
DFP-11-15 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 100 SILVER DOUBLE DIN FASCIA FACIA ADAPTOR PANEL | eBay
Toyota OEM stereo surround # 55412-60310

non nav brackets 8620860030 (left) 8620760030 (right) Alternate bracket numbers are
86208-60020 and 86207-60020

The blank steering wheel button switch on the right side is 8425858010B0 for the black one.

The 2003 LC has the same screen connectors as the 2002. Labeled as M5-M8. All the wires are there to use in one or the other of those 4, but I don't have an adapter for that.
The rest, 2004-2007 are all the same regarding the upper harness.

The PDFs of the nav and non nav for every 2003-2007 LC are attached at the end of the next couple posts. If you have a 2003 I recommend looking behind the screen to see if you have 4 or 3 connectors.

2006 non nav info. Part numbers.

Most of it is pretty self explanatory. There's basically the top computer, the plastic face with the security light, and clock and stuff. Those two bolt and clip together. That mounts to the double din fascia from wherever you choose to get one.

Then you have the heater panel sub assembly, that's the lower half of the plastic fascia, you have to get the knobs for it also. The button covers for the lower four buttons come from your own cars rear, defrost, etc.

Behind that, the board sub assembly, wire integration. That screws directly down with six or seven screws.
The AC amplifier assembly is just a PCB that slides into the heater housing, two screws to mount that down. There is a small harness that connects the two boards. (red wires) The heater board PCB has the two pigtails that connect to the side panel vents for hazzard, center lock and antenna on one side and the red seatbelt reminder in the pre JAN 2006 editions, FOr the post JAN 2006 there is also an airbag on/off yellow indicator. The sub assembly integration panel is different for those years, with 5 wires coming out to the vent panel, where previous years have 3 wires. Also a tiny three prong harness to connect the temp knob to the board. All that comes as complete packages, Nothing extra is needed except screws to mount the boards, and four screws for the heater housing, the black box to the back of the panel sub assembly.

Also I have the upper and lower harnesses plug and play versions with adapters for the M5 and A45 (or A47 on the LX 470) available.

THIS PIC IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU'RE HARDWIRING EVERYTHING.
if you have a harness set none of this is applicable, the harness sets make it so it's plug and play.
View attachment 1614600

Connectors. Some other info here I found out. terminal repair, crimp pins

In the thread links above there are pics of a (i think) post jan 2006 production non nav.
that is what they will look like when your done. Minus 2 wires that are extra in the post jan 2006 LC, these are for airbag control ECU airbag on off checking.

THE C14 plug is the one behind that instrument panel third from the left, drivers side, second row (from left two right) #20 is at the top, #1 at the bottom. There are supposedly two junction boxes where these wires go to. I couldn't find the one behind the original nav screen. The other location is against the fender behind and to the right of the glove box. I found that (it's blue) and sky blue wires go in there, but the only thing coming out was the three assorted colored wires that are suppose to be there in nav cars. NO green/white and green/black.

Harness set installation info

there are two harness sets. One for the top section and one for the bottom (AC area)

The bottom is the shorter one with three open connectors.
The small mall connector c28 accepts the stock female C28.
the one with the shrink wrap is the other male connector that accepts the cars stock A45 connector, the 40 pin.
Then the bottom of that harness has the female A45 that plugs into the new AC amp you bought.
That is all for the bottom harness.

the top harness is the small M9 connector with the longer bare wires and another wire with a bare terminal coming out that is green. The M9 is the one that goes into your new security computer, the top one that shows mileage info and temp, etc.

The other end of that harness with the big adapter / shrink wrap/ goes into the cars stock M5 connector. That is the bigger one from the old screen. 26 pin I believe.

so then you're left with three wires, the two longer ones with the white and black stripes and the one bare ended green terminal wire.

the terminal goes into the A47 plug in position 1. as seen in the pic I will email you if you got a set up from me.
or posted on the first two posts in this thread.

the long wires go behind the instrument cluster, also described in photos emailed or posted here.

that should be it. call or email or message for help with harnesses

View attachment 2055062

View attachment 2055063

View attachment 2055064
Does anyone make a plug and play harness for a 03 LC with Nav?

you specifically mean the 4 connector screen? yes and no, there will still be 2 for instrument panel, one to insert into one of the AC connectors and I'd have to look exactly how many are left. The m8 male is going to plug and play. Essentially there are two versions.
2003 would have two extras to splice.
read the last 3 pages.

Last edited:
I finally completed this swap over the last few days. Overall it was pretty straight forward, but definitely took more time than I thought it would. Huge thanks to @jerryb and @OilHammer who's previous comments pretty much answered every question I had.

The climate control swap / nav delete itself was really easy. Mine is a 2003 so I purchased a m8 male and wired it up to Jerry's harness. I spliced into the IU4 connector next to the glovebox and then just had one more splice to make behind the stereo (m5 I think?).

Where I ended up spending a lot more time was mounting and wiring all the new stereo components. I replaced the JBL amp with a Kenwood Excelon 802-5 5 channel amp. I realized it was the exact same size as the nav ecu so I cut out some ABS and mounted it in the same location so I could reuse the plastic cover. I'm not sure if I would do that again because the stock bracket ended up making the wiring pretty tight and hard to access with all the old connectors in the way. I still need to paint the ugly corroded brackets. I also ran new power and ground wires and mounted a fuse off the battery tie down.

The previous owner replaced the front speakers with Pioneer coax's but left the factory tweeters. I'm not sure if they're wired up correctly, but I plan to replace them with components soon anyways. In the meantime, this still sound a million times better.

I also got a really good deal on an open box Sony ax150 head unit that I'll probably replace with a higher end Sony at some point. The screen has pretty poor color contrast when CarPlay is running (hard to tell in the photo but pretty obvious in maps).

This feels like a brand new truck now with modern navigation and way better climate controls. So happy I did this.

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

I finally completed this swap over the last few days. Overall it was pretty straight forward, but definitely took more time than I thought it would. Huge thanks to @jerryb and @OilHammer who's previous comments pretty much answered every question I had.

The climate control swap / nav delete itself was really easy. Mine is a 2003 so I purchased a m8 male and wired it up to Jerry's harness. I spliced into the IU4 connector next to the glovebox and then just had one more splice to make behind the stereo (m5 I think?).

Where I ended up spending a lot more time was mounting and wiring all the new stereo components. I replaced the JBL amp with a Kenwood Excelon 802-5 5 channel amp. I realized it was the exact same size as the nav ecu so I cut out some ABS and mounted it in the same location so I could reuse the plastic cover. I'm not sure if I would do that again because the stock bracket ended up making the wiring pretty tight and hard to access with all the old connectors in the way. I still need to paint the ugly corroded brackets. I also ran new power and ground wires and mounted a fuse off the battery tie down.

The previous owner replaced the front speakers with Pioneer coax's but left the factory tweeters. I'm not sure if they're wired up correctly, but I plan to replace them with components soon anyways. In the meantime, this still sound a million times better.

I also got a really good deal on an open box Sony ax150 head unit that I'll probably replace with a higher end Sony at some point. The screen has pretty poor color contrast when CarPlay is running (hard to tell in the photo but pretty obvious in maps).

This feels like a brand new truck now with modern navigation and way better climate controls. So happy I did this.

View attachment 2866969
View attachment 2866970
View attachment 2866971
Same experience I had. The actual navigation and HVAC swap is relatively easy, but the stereo add takes some man hours. The ironic part is it's the nav delete portion that would be difficult to outsource to somebody else while the stereo installation can be done by any shop. I always hint to people that the way to tackle this project if they are feint of heart at doing the project is to A) source the parts (the most difficult task), B) do the nav delete themselves, and then C) hire a stereo installer to put in a new stereo, amp, and speakers where the real cumbersome part of the project lies. It really is a game changer in making the 100 series feel like a modern car.

Hi All, posted this message as well on the LX forum so trying my luck here.

Has anyone has some recent luck finding the AC amplifier? 88650-60821

Also, for those of us doing this conversion on the LX -- does the LC controls conversion mess with the auto air circulating feature?

It really is a game changer in making the 100 series feel like a modern car.

It was the biggest factor in me deciding to ride this thing to 500k miles if I can. I'm blown away by people trading in and getting new cars just because their technology is outdated, but that's because we now have the luxury of easily upgrading ours for the fore sable future. Great spot to be in.

I'm curious, if parts could be sourced that is, if I could put the knob control heat-a/c setup in my 06 LX470? Ive been really interested in doing this.
1645543686648.png

I'm curious, if parts could be sourced that is, if I could put the knob control heat-a/c setup in my 06 LX470? Ive been really interested in doing this.
View attachment 2933574
I am no expert, but I think this has been done. But I could be remembering a Pre 03 Nav delete.

A lot of the parts needed for the LX470 conversion are NLA now correct?

Hi all,

Just wanted to add that parts are still available to do the LC. I just finished doing my 2006 and it makes it feel so much nicer. Im grateful to all of you who spent so much effort and time to post your work and part numbers and links and whatnot… and thanks for making me a harness Jerry!

Side note I tried to source the console cubby without the cd changer but it looks like all avenues are closed on that. I think 5891360010 is the only NLA part I ran into on this project.

Last edited:
it could be that all the used ones were bought up also. Any lower box from 1998-2007 will fit. I cannot remember where I got mine.

@Druss do you have a VIN for a truck with that setup? That would be very useful to search for part numbers needed for that conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom