Possible fake AISIN water pumps in AISIN timing belt kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going in that far and not changing the cam and crank seals is like taking a shower and then putting your dirty clothes back on. :doh:

So is there no difference between VVTI and non-VVTI? The person who I talked with made it sound like there was.

The setups are different but both have seals.

Difference in the kits? the cam/crank seals we are discussing.

So is there no difference between VVTI and non-VVTI? The person who I talked with made it sound like there was.

Yes, they are different. We didn't decide to make them two different part numbers on CruiserTeq.com for giggles. :D The cam and crank seals vary between the two kits. I'd have to double check but I believe the timing insert we supply is the same between them.

Changing cam seals on VVTI are much more complicated than non VVTI based on my research for 2004 LC.

Changing cam seals on VVTI are much more complicated than non VVTI based on my research for 2004 LC.

Your research is correct, I don't think anyone is arguing that fact. However if they are weeping and/or a high mileage motor, they should still be swapped imo.

Just as another data point, my kit from Amazon (sold by Amazon) came with the same water pump OP found in the RockAuto box.

$%(&#! I just found out I spent last weekend installing a water pump that looks exactly like the suspected fakes. And I purchased the tkt-021 kit from RockAuto in April 2022. I guess the plan is to get one from Lexus as they're only about $100 and spend this weekend r&ring the whole thing again. At least it should go a lot faster this time.

Sadly there are plenty of fakes on the market. As we have a great deal of AISIN components on our website (CruiserOutfitters.com and CruiserTeq.com) we get hit up by China based companies offering lower prices on 'authentic AISIN' parts super regularly. One sent us a sample AISIN hub, it weighed measurably less than an authentic hub and had poor fit/finish. No... thank... you...

We are 100% direct with AISIN and have been for many years. We work with and have met in person their US and Japan based staff, we absolutely 100% trust our parts pipeline with them.

We offer the 2UZ timing belt kit and our kit features (4) additional parts we consider important to change.

We stock the thermostat, fan bracket, fan clutch, fan blade, drive belt, tensioners, and any other items you might want to do 'while you're in there', all sold, packed and shipped by Land Cruiser aficionado's. 3-4 2UZ's in the employee parking each day :D
@cruiseroutfit

Kit Includes:​

• 1 x Water Pump
  • 1 x Water Pump Gasket
  • 1 x Timing Belt
  • 1 x Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly
  • 1 x Water Bypass Pipe O-Ring
  • 1 x Water Inlet Housing O-Ring
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #2
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #1
  • 2 x Camshaft Seals
  • 1 x Crank Seal
  • 1 x Timing Belt Cover Gasket Insert

Kurt, are these "Toyota" cam and crank seal in your kit?
  • 2 x Camshaft Seals
  • 1 x Crank Seal
What's this gasket insert?

@cruiseroutfit

Kit Includes:​

• 1 x Water Pump
  • 1 x Water Pump Gasket
  • 1 x Timing Belt
  • 1 x Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly
  • 1 x Water Bypass Pipe O-Ring
  • 1 x Water Inlet Housing O-Ring
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #2
  • 1 x Timing Belt Idler Sub Assembly #1
  • 2 x Camshaft Seals
  • 1 x Crank Seal

Kurt, are these "Toyota" cam and crank seal in your kit?
  • 2 x Camshaft Seals
  • 1 x Crank Seal
What's this gasket insert?

They are NOK, same manufacturer as Toyota, fantastic quality. The insert fits on the cover. I'm traveling but will try to remember to grab a picture of them when I'm back tomorrow.

Oil Seals in Toyota are made ny "NOK" I've been dealing with Toyotas since 1990 (since we bought our HILUX). There is a fake oil seal and it is called "KOK" AVOID the KOK.

I just got a genuine Toyota kit off ebay. The waterpump has a sizable step on the mating surface and the teeth are out on the timing belt in the package. Never seen either of this before. Searched the Internet for the potential issue with fakes and it brought me back around to here. There are multiple sellers shipping out of walnut, California. Sending this one back.

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

I would be very wary of any eBay part unless you have a means to verify the seller is a real Toyota dealer. I've been burned before on counterfeit eBay parts.

Send it back and get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto. It's not worth risking your engine over.

Adding another data point:

I just ordered a new Aisin kit and got the "good" water pump. Smooth ports and Aisin logos on the front. Impeller looks good too.

I was going to order it from amazon, but it was on backorder. So I got it from walmart.com and at all looks great.

Another option for those hunting authentic AISIN kits, our options are guaranteed authentic, include more parts and it's packed and shipped by a Land Cruiser enthusiast here at our Murray shop!

1998-2005

2005-2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom