Possible fake AISIN water pumps in AISIN timing belt kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to save folks time, so here is another drop in the bucket for my contribution to the forum.

I'm a preventive maintenance fanatic and preorder everything before I actually do it, it's a bad habit that comes costly sometimes. I've had instances where I wait too long to open boxes or install and the parts are a) not needed anymore or b) damaged or didn't fit and it's too late to return.

This brings me to my new adventure and the reason I'm posting this. Prior to inspecting my timing belt and realizing I don't need one. I had purchased an Amazon Aisin timing belt kit.

The amazon kit looked very much legit. AISIN TKT-021 with an AISIN branded box, materials, manual, card holograms, Mitsuboshi timing belt, koyo bearings, NTN timing belt tensioner, the works. EVERYTHING looked superb and even the packing looked amazing. It all came to a screeching halt when I started inspecting the waterpump.

I immediately became suspicious of the waterpump. It had very unfinished ports, with aluminum casting slopy matting, no Aisin label or stamp but most importantly the flat matting surface to the engine side was badly finished and had some pitting. The water ports had pitting as well. Overall it did not look like an Aisin product. I heard from a buddy that there is a fake water pump market so I returned the entire kit and ordered from RockAuto.

After receiving the RockAuto version of the part I confirmed my suspicion. The RockAuto version of the pump was a world of way in regards to finishing compared to the amazon version. The box was slightly different but otherwise, everything was identical, the only difference was the pump itself. Pictures speak loudly so I've attached them. Be aware!

Amazon:
1659999189031.png

1659999228180.png

RockAuto:
1659999281179.png

1659999325154.png

I can't stress this enough that otherwise the box and contents were identical! the box had a different logo outside and had a different design but even the components were arranged the same way. The Amazon pump was packaged like new and both packages looked like they had never been handled.

Buy carefully!

Excellent point about fake parts and always needing to be cautious. I just wanted to point out (since you gave me a minor heart attack) that Partsouq does not show the AISIN logo on the Toyota part. In addition, the water pump I got from McGeorge Toyota also does not include the logo. Images below:

Image from Partsouq Water Pump
Partsouq Water Pump.png

Image from McGeorge Toyota received Water Pump
McGeorge Water Pump.jpg

Amazon Aisin port: (yes that's an aluminum shaving hanging by a thread.)

1660004112169.png

RockAuto Aisin port:

1660004152038.png

I've had instances where I wait too long to open boxes or install and the parts are a) not needed anymore or b) damaged or didn't fit and it's too late to return.

I know them feels bud, you aren't alone.

I got my fingers crossed about numerous items sitting in my parts room as we speak.

Almost anyone can sell on Amazon. It has all the quality control of eBay. If it is a critical part, you MUST buy from a reputable supplier. IMO that is not the two sources mentioned in the previous line.
Agreed. I only chose rock auto over Toyota because the experiences of other users getting legitimate aisin and the kit availability which is not offered by Toyota. I would of otherwise bought from Toyota.

Also other reputable suppliers (mud vendors) are all OOS In fact everyone else besides amazon and rock auto are ALL OOS at the time I ordered (few weeks ago)

Starting to get parts ready for upcoming timing belt work. Never done it myself but after paying for 2, figured I would give it a try. Influenced by all of you, :) I ordered from Rockauto (ordered stuff from them before and they've been good). All other parts from Partsouq and waiting. Amazon had the same kit (sold by Amazon... third parties are also selling it too) but figured I would just order from Rockauto. Pricing was basically the same between Amazon and Rockauto.

According to the TKT-021 box label, this kit is being assembled in the U.S. So, maybe they are all legit but with different production runs parts or maybe they are some knockoffs being put together and being sold off in the marketplace. IDK...but the parts I received from Rockauto looks good. For those curious, here's what and how it comes in the TKT-021 kit from RockAuto:

The box (this box was inside larger RockAuto box with bubblewrap...so box in a box):
IMG_4651.jpeg

How it looks when you open the box: Includes instructions
IMG_4654.jpeg

The content/parts in the box:
IMG_4660.jpeg

Here's the water pump (It looks like OP images):
IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_4663.jpeg

I wanted to save folks time, so here is another drop in the bucket for my contribution to the forum.

I'm a preventive maintenance fanatic and preorder everything before I actually do it, it's a bad habit that comes costly sometimes. I've had instances where I wait too long to open boxes or install and the parts are a) not needed anymore or b) damaged or didn't fit and it's too late to return.

This brings me to my new adventure and the reason I'm posting this. Prior to inspecting my timing belt and realizing I don't need one. I had purchased an Amazon Aisin timing belt kit.

The amazon kit looked very much legit. AISIN TKT-021 with an AISIN branded box, materials, manual, card holograms, Mitsuboshi timing belt, koyo bearings, NTN timing belt tensioner, the works. EVERYTHING looked superb and even the packing looked amazing. It all came to a screeching halt when I started inspecting the waterpump.

I immediately became suspicious of the waterpump. It had very unfinished ports, with aluminum casting slopy matting, no Aisin label or stamp but most importantly the flat matting surface to the engine side was badly finished and had some pitting. The water ports had pitting as well. Overall it did not look like an Aisin product. I heard from a buddy that there is a fake water pump market so I returned the entire kit and ordered from RockAuto.

After receiving the RockAuto version of the part I confirmed my suspicion. The RockAuto version of the pump was a world of way in regards to finishing compared to the amazon version. The box was slightly different but otherwise, everything was identical, the only difference was the pump itself. Pictures speak loudly so I've attached them. Be aware!

Amazon:
View attachment 3081580
View attachment 3081581

RockAuto:
View attachment 3081583

View attachment 3081584

I can't stress this enough that otherwise the box and contents were identical! the box had a different logo outside and had a different design but even the components were arranged the same way. The Amazon pump was packaged like new and both packages looked like they had never been handled.

Buy carefully!

My waterpump from RockAuto looks identical to the one you are concerned with. Same green marks and the same little shaving from the edge that was not completely broken during the mfg process.

So what's everyone's opinion on the kit if it's shipped and sold by Amazon? I noticed you didn't say who was the seller of your kit. I stay away from most sellers on Amazon and try to stick with items sold by Amazon.

Sadly there are plenty of fakes on the market. As we have a great deal of AISIN components on our website (CruiserOutfitters.com and CruiserTeq.com) we get hit up by China based companies offering lower prices on 'authentic AISIN' parts super regularly. One sent us a sample AISIN hub, it weighed measurably less than an authentic hub and had poor fit/finish. No... thank... you...

We are 100% direct with AISIN and have been for many years. We work with and have met in person their US and Japan based staff, we absolutely 100% trust our parts pipeline with them.

We offer the 2UZ timing belt kit and our kit features (4) additional parts we consider important to change.

We stock the thermostat, fan bracket, fan clutch, fan blade, drive belt, tensioners, and any other items you might want to do 'while you're in there', all sold, packed and shipped by Land Cruiser aficionado's. 3-4 2UZ's in the employee parking each day :D

Yes. inner gold knobs are almost bronze color and red inner springs.

Wild. The 13 does have an almost metallic bronze/gold color but the red inner spring sounds odd. We have plenty of the authentic ones if you need a pair.

Yes. inner gold knobs are almost bronze color and red inner springs.

Wild. The 13 does have an almost metallic bronze/gold color but the red inner spring sounds odd. We have plenty of the authentic ones if you need a pair.

If Tony didn't send them back already I will snap pics and box for you.

Sadly there are plenty of fakes on the market. As we have a great deal of AISIN components on our website (CruiserOutfitters.com and CruiserTeq.com) we get hit up by China based companies offering lower prices on 'authentic AISIN' parts super regularly. One sent us a sample AISIN hub, it weighed measurably less than an authentic hub and had poor fit/finish. No... thank... you...

We are 100% direct with AISIN and have been for many year. We work with and have met in person their US and Japan based staff, we absolutely 100% trust our parts pipeline with them.

We offer the 2UZ timing belt kit and our kit features (4) additional parts we consider important to change.

We stock the thermostat, fan bracket, fan clutch, fan blade, drive belt, tensioners, and any other items you might want to do 'while you're in there', all sold, packed and shipped by Land Cruiser aficionado's. 3-4 2UZ's in the employee parking each day :D

Why do you include the cam seals in the VVTI package? I've been told that adds nearly 15 hours to the job on a VVTI motor because the cams have to be removed. And what's the difference between the two kits? The 98-05 appears identical to the 05-07 VVTI.

edit: after a bit of research it seems 15 hours may have been exaggerated when quoted to me and it's probably closer to 5 hours (well, 15 if I did the work lol). Still it seems the consensus is don't mess with it unless it's a bad leak.

Last edited:
Why do you include the cam seals in the VVTI package? I've been told that adds nearly 15 hours to the job on a VVTI motor because the cams have to be removed. And what's the difference between the two kits? The 98-05 appears identical to the 05-07 VVTI.

edit: after a bit of research it seems 15 hours may have been exaggerated when quoted to me and it's probably closer to 5 hours (well, 15 if I did the work lol). Still it seems the consensus is don't mess with it unless it's a bad leak.

Appropriate edit, 15hrs is faaaar too long.

100/470's are getting waaaaaay up there in miles, perhaps the cam seals were OK for the first, second and third timing belt jobs. We are seeing customers on their 4th+ timing belt job and more importantly had demand for it.

Difference in the kits? the cam/crank seals we are discussing.

Going in that far and not changing the cam and crank seals is like taking a shower and then putting your dirty clothes back on. :doh:

Going in that far and not changing the cam and crank seals is like taking a shower and then putting your dirty clothes back on. :doh:

That is a very vivid comparison :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom