Possible Canidate... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My A/C has always been topless 😁

Do a search and start a thread with your questions. I am positive those with experience will chime in.

The only thing I recall is that it may not be possible on older engines that don't have threaded holes for the bracketry, but I could be wrong.

Nope, run away from that one. Body is horrible in so many ways. Frame rusted. I would be afraid of it falling apart on you driving away.

Seats are from 60 series. Although it has the AC and PS it has been thrown together. If I recall your budget was around $12,500.

You can do much better

I wish it was closer to me. Doesn't scare me. But I have most of not all the pieces to put this back together. Just ashame to see one with factory air and power steering in this shape.

If the PS and AC work! Definitely not the one for a nice young kid looking for his first cruiser.

Not sure if its armor plating or holding a few things together. Better then last one but still kinda rusty and I mean that it still seems like a lot and i bet the under side is ugly. I agree with your budget rust free isn't gonna happen but there is a cruiser out there with your name on it.

I'm sure your scouring craigslist like i have done so many times. If your willing to go OKC for one or Michigan then look in NM, Kansas, North TX. Anywhere away from water. Heck if you find one close to CO I would be happy to go inspect it for you.

Not sure if its armor plating or holding a few things together. Better then last one but still kinda rusty and I mean that it still seems like a lot and i bet the under side is ugly. I agree with your budget rust free isn't gonna happen but there is a cruiser out there with your name on it.

I'm sure your scouring craigslist like i have done so many times. If your willing to OKC for one or Michigan then look in NM, Kansas, North TX. Anywhere away from water. Heck if you find one close to CO I would be happy to go inspect it for you.
Thanks a lot! And yes, I’ve been looking everywhere in the States except for pretty much anywhere north of around West Virginia and northeast there.

I do not understand what anyone in California would buy a rust bucket from Michigan. Think the real sorry was once they got the cruiser and realized how bad the rust was looked for a different one. Would probably be work more in California if it was a 75 instead of a 76 which still requires emission.

I'm sure your scouring craigslist like i have done so many times. If your willing to go OKC for one or Michigan then look in NM, Kansas, North TX. Anywhere away from water. Heck if you find one close to CO I would be happy to go inspect it for you.

Interesting you included Kansas. Thought it was cold and snowed there. Would stay away from places that salt heavy. Because all pre 8/80 have the short VIN CarFax or the like are useless. A vehicle forty years hard to know where it been over the years. Even possible it could have been totaled in one state then moved to another that only issues regular titles. There are some true survivors still out there just need to know how to indentify them. Some like these 76 & 79 are pretty easy to tell they aren't one of them.

Most of Kansas is close to oklahoma in winter weather which averages (usually) a couple of small snow storms a year. Gets a little worse the more north ya go.m. Unlike here in Steamboat where it’s insane. When compared to coastal states it’s no comparison. Growing up in Oklahoma I prayed for snow growing up. As I’ve grown up I cuss it now.

I would strongly consider a cruiser from any area around Oklahoma although AZ, Nevada and NM would be ideal.

There are hidden gems in the Midwest. Some don't get driven in the winter, and the ones that do get oiled/fluid filmed. It's not difficult to keep them from getting rusty. Many people just don't make time to take care of them.

There are hidden gems in the Midwest. Some don't get driven in the winter, and the ones that do get oiled/fluid filmed. It's not difficult to keep them from getting rusty. Many people just don't make time to take care of them.
I agree, I bought mine 60 miles south of Chicago 6 years ago. Rust in some of the usual spots (rear sill, tops of fenders, and rockers) but frame and everything else was mostly rock solid and the truck was mostly unmolested. After paging thru a manual that came with it, realized it spent a significant part of its life in Utah based on some service records and receipts. Came to Chicago area via Boston and who knows what in between. Point is, these things get around and just because it is the rust belt, doesn't mean it lived it's life there. BTW, I paid $5100 and still can't believe how lucky it was in my "backyard" Actually drove it home which was really pretty stupid....

I would say a hardtop is great, but don't just limit your search to that. You can get a softop and run A/C just fine. You can find hardtops, not super easy but they are out there. You can piece together a hardtop if you need to.

Find the best shape cruiser you can afford and go from there.

There are options for running a roof rack with a soft top. This is one thought.

Factory style OEM top
p1090804-jpg.628641

Aftermarket style top

p1090338-jpg.628640

another option...
258-100a-big.jpg

I would say a hardtop is great, but don't just limit your search to that. You can get a softop and run A/C just fine. You can find hardtops, not super easy but they are out there. You can piece together a hardtop if you need to.

Find the best shape cruiser you can afford and go from there.

There are options for running a roof rack with a soft top. This is one thought.

Factory style OEM top
p1090804-jpg.628641

Aftermarket style top

p1090338-jpg.628640

another option...
258-100a-big.jpg
Thanks! I never knew that it was an option for soft tops with a roof rack.

I second @FJBen , get the best option you can afford. Then you’ll have it and can do as you please when you please. That’s what I did. I’m still working on mine. (In fact it’s in the shop for adjustments 😁) at the worst.. it’s stories!!

Thanks! I never knew that it was an option for soft tops with a roof rack.

another option is just run a bikini top for awhile to protect from the rain. Nothing better than a 40 with the top off and you live in a state where you can run without a top year round.
these things get really hot with a top on.
the one in Marietta has a lot of the right things done to it to give you a trouble free ride for years. Believe there is also a hardtop for sale on Atlanta craigslist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom