Possibilities: Mild Hardcore, lightweight, low "project" factor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So... I'm thinking of getting out of my FJ60 wheeling truck, Yukon XL tow rig and steel trailer and into a much more lightweight wheeling (rock crawling) rig, aluminum (lightweight) trailer with a Toyota expedition/overland truck (possibly a 70 series Troopy) for a tow rig.

Lightweight is essential to be able to tow it with the Troopy (with a FF rear axle and 7500# tow rating). I'm not a crazy hardcore wheeler but I generally wheel black trails... My 60 gets around pretty well (see specs in my sig line)

The topic for discussion is: what would be a reasonably "simple" path to go for the wheeling rig? I'm thinking a chopped up mini/4Runner might be the ticket. (I know "simple" is a relative term)

I'm looking to keep the "project" factor to a reasonable minimum. I would like to stay as stock as reasonably possible. I'm thinking ToyBox for getting the gearing low, Sawzall to fit big tires, lockers... I would go with a link kit if the front needs to be converted to solid axle anyway.

I'm wondering what a truck as spec'd above would weigh?

mark

If you are asking about my proposed truck, no...
I WOULD like an enclosed cab for cold and rainy weather wheeling but no need for fenders or a cargo bed.

And BTW: I'm not against buying a built truck - I just don't want too much "Frankenstein", mostly for reliability/repair/replacement parts issues.

If you could afford it, you could not do better than the truggy Jim Job built for his wife, and now for sale:
Search Jim Job Industries on Facebook.

37866197_1755441131199457_3900091906931032064_n.jpg

First incarnation was cheap, went a little overboard as the years went on. Trimmed body to fit 35's, rear elocker, dual cases and armor. Amazing where it will go.

Weighs between 3500 and 4000, towed on an open deck car hauler with my V6 05 4Runner without issue. Hell, for the right price it could be yours :)

JT's 88 4 Runner Build
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Very nice... While I'm a manual transmission kinda guy that is on pretty rig.
It's a relative of mines rig. He's not into wheeling much anymore. I almost bought it myself just because I know how much he worked on it and it's cool to hear the supercharger scream as it launches up rocks. Toyota truggies make great light weight rigs.

Sami on Toyota axles....
Light, cheap, easy to work on
Gears in the case, remove body and just go tube or leave body and cut off as dented or wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom