Builds Portland Troopy Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Silicone Heater Hose. Few stones left unturned......

silicone heater hose.jpg

12v alternator to support house batteries and 12v accessories.

Alternator 12v.jpg

Yesterday Josh at Willamette Blvd Auto completed the install of the 12v alternator. The truck is 24v so we needed to devise a way to charge a 12v system that will power the accessories. This is another real work of art and ingenuity that Josh has provided.

Photo's include all of the parts and pieces that Josh put together to make it happen. Sitting on top of the OME box are the parts that were used. The part at the top of the shock is a fan clutch from a fj60. Next to the fan clutch is the alternator. It is a 40amp Denso alternator that is used in a Kubota tractor application. The fj60 fan clutch doesn't stick out as far as the 1HDT clutch and by using the fj60 clutch room was gained to install a spacer (pic is below the alternator) that allowed for an extra pulley so that the alternator runs on a separate belt from the AC compressor. Josh made the spacer (crazy skills) in his garage on a lathe; very time consuming. The idea of running the alternator separate from the AC compressor was to shorten the length of the belt thus reducing potential slop. Additionally, if a belt breaks you can still have AC or alternator....belts are separate. The pulleys that were used are from an 88-95 Toyota 3.0L V6. I love the accessibility of the alternator in the event that it needs to be replaced. 3 bolts and a couple of wires. Additionally, Kubota supports this alternator in the Americas. The only wear parts in the system are the alternator, belt (common size) and the fan clutch.

Josh is fantastic to work with. Given time he comes up with solutions that are simple, clean and effective. He doesn't over complicate things which is a rare talent.

Pics are below.

Alternator Parts.jpg

Alternator Installed 1.jpg

Alternator Installed 2.jpg

Alternator Installed 3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, looks like it is in the same spot as the power steering reservoir, that shouldn't be a big deal to relocate. I love the ingenuity, but why not just go with a robust converter/equalizer like the Vann Guard for your 12v needs?

Another thing to check is that the fan clears the radiator, with it now being pushed out some

Wilson Radiator, vancouver WA

Nice job, looks like it is in the same spot as the power steering reservoir, that shouldn't be a big deal to relocate. I love the ingenuity, but why not just go with a robust converter/equalizer like the Vann Guard for your 12v needs?
I'd have to say personal preference here. I plan to live out of the truck for a couple of years and all of the accessories will be 12v. I wanted two alternators and the easier way around it for me was to keep one of the alternators dedicated to the 24v starting system. Already knew that I was going to have a separate house bank battery and have decided on 12v, likely Lithium Ion batteries.

Some extra photos to share. The radiator is in. An additional 4 gallons of capacity was added. Also the red top power steering reservoir from a Coaster Bus. A nice custom bracket on the reservoir. The radiator fan is out of a 60 series. It allowed for more room. Not sure if you can see the fan shroud but it is easily removed with 5 bolts. That allows easy access to the fan, belts and radiator. A good design.

Hopefully later this week the engine will be started. It's been a long process but there does seem to be some light in the tunnel.

radiator install.jpg

Radiator Side.jpg

Power Steering.jpg

Last edited:
Additional capacity was added at the bottom of the radiator. Sitting at the same height as a 60. I will have an Iron Man front bumper installed with a bash plate providing protection. I don't see it as being an issue.

4 Additional Gallons? Thats a lot, I remember only putting in like 2.5-3 into my stock one, I can see 4 gallons total.

4 Additional Gallons? Thats a lot, I remember only putting in like 2.5-3 into my stock one, I can see 4 gallons total.
Come on up and take a look or I'll stop by on my way to the Baja.

That would be great, I'd love to see your rig.

Additional capacity was added at the bottom of the radiator. Sitting at the same height as a 60. I will have an Iron Man front bumper installed with a bash plate providing protection. I don't see it as being an issue.
Ah, my replacement radiator I had custom built I had it lengthend 2” on the bottom, don’t know how much that incresed the fluid quantity.

First a correction from a previous post; it's pretty hard to get anything by the Mud crowd. The radiator capacity was NOT increased by 4 gallons. I will get the specifics on the capacity but suffice it to say that the post was in error and I stand corrected.

Pretty significant news this weekend as the engine was finally started. I had intended to record a video but as luck would have it my cell battery was too low to record a video....either that or I didn't know how to work the damned thing. Anyway, after some effort the engine came to life. It shook a bit (lot) and belched some smoke but settled down into a nice diesel drone.

Pics below are of Josh priming the engine with oil through the sensor hole. Oil going in and welding cable use for the battery connections.

Sensor.jpg

Oil.jpg

Battery Cable.jpg

@AndrewHadji I believe those are just post style marine terminals. More popular in actual marine engine bays with space constraints. Usually comes bare and you tighten the bolt of your choice into it.

Side Post cable connectors. They should be available at any auto parts store. The cable is 1/0 welding cable. I like them....a lot....and will have them put on my 62. The batteries are on opposite side of the engine bay so the thick cable will reduce resistance.

The cable connectors are an example of the detail and thought that Josh at Willamette Blvd Auto has put into the build.

For clearance, the oil pan was relocated slightly. The oil capacity is 11 quarts.........so almost 3 gallons of oil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom