Builds Portland Troopy Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice to see you guys still have the old 45 shop truck.

And that 70 isn't bad either. Bastard :D
The shop truck will be there until literally hell freezes over. There's so much cool stuff around this place that it messes you up.

The front suspension is on the truck. OME heavy, 2-3". No measurements were taken but it did raise the front end "quite a bit."

Last week custom "NATO Spec" wheels were ordered from Stockton Wheel (credit the lead to gilmorenau). They will arrive powder coated in ANSI#49 Gray. The split rims will be removed and returned to the previous owner.

The custom front driveline should be installed soon making the truck moveable in front wheel drive. We are waiting on the rear suspension to "hopefully" arrive mid April so alignment can take place for the rear driveline.

Front Suspension.jpg

My Troopy build had fallen to page 6 so I thought I'd bring an update.

The truck has been at Willamette Blvd Auto for what they must think forever but there IS progress. I can't say enough about the tremendous job that Josh is doing. It has occupied a LOT of his time not only working on the truck but also tracking down parts and putting up with my frequent visits......I can't really use the "Oh, I was just in the neighborhood" excuse as his shop is on the other side of town and I've already used it a dozen times anyway. So thanks Josh for tolerating me.

The mechanical work on the truck is not complete. Lockers will be added. A knuckle job. Replace the steering stabilizer. Finish the AC plumbing. But I do think that the majority of the heavy lifting is done. I needed to pick it up last night though as I have an appointment with Darrio for a round of his capable body work. Ok, so I will tell on myself and say that I drove the truck home last night and hit 87mph on I-84. That's 87mph and it was building. Good god I've "never" been in a Land Cruiser that has had this much quickness and acceleration. The thing is scary fast. Loved listening to the whine of the turbo and the tractor sound of the 1-HDT. Wow is about what I can say about this engine.

I'm strongly considering putting the spare on top of the Alu-Cab. I've been told that the struts will work well with the weight. My thought is to have a rear bumper build with a locking storage box for chairs and "stuff" that will be used frequently. I hardly ever need a spare so I thought I would put it up top. I'd welcome Mud thoughts on this. A Font Runner rack on top to accommodate the spare, solar panel and maybe a parts/tool box(es).

I've been in contact with a local welder that has designed an almost 40! gallon stainless steel water tank that should be completed hopefully in the next month or so. 40 gallons is a LOT of water but I don't have to fill it but the capacity will be nice to have on occasion.
It will be mounted under the truck.

Now on to some photo's that I took.

Last edited:
Here are a few random shots. A new rear driveline was installed.
Check out the rear spring pack. 12 leaves. Thought we might be building an LTL trailer.
See the detail work on the throttle cable holder.

Random.jpg

Spring Pack.jpg

Drive line.jpg

throttle cable.jpg

The truck is now at the body shop where dents and rust will be repaired. It will then be painted inside and out. I should have it back from the body shop by the end of May and then it will go back to Willamette Blvd Auto for finishing on the mechanical and then on to SoCal for the inside work.

dent.jpg

Rust.jpg

Troopy Inside.jpg

This is it for the photo's for now.

I HOPE to have the wheels in this week from Stockton Wheel. I've been promised several shipments but there is an issue with the powder coater that they use.

Dent 2.jpg

inside 2.jpg

A couple more for posterity.

A side view of the truck as it was dropped off at the body shop this morning. New exhaust is coming out right in front of the rear tire.

The PO hit something pretty hard with the spare. Thought is to remove the holder and relocate the spare to the roof.

side view.jpg

tire carrier.jpg

I'll get the paperwork and come back to you.....

What are the solenoids for on the A/C lines?

hmm, do they just turn off the compressor at certain high/low pressure?

hmm, do they just turn off the compressor at certain high/low pressure?
Yep. If you overcharged the refrigerant or have a blockage, the high side cutoff kicks in, and if you're low on refrigerant, the low side switch kicks the compressor off. That way you don't run it low on oil (oil is carried along w the refrigerant through the entire AC loop.

Do modern cars have these safety precautions standard? Makes sense, but don;t recall ever seeing this on other cars, what is the likelihood of either causing damage

My 87 BMW and my 85 FJ60 both have the low pressure cutout and the BMW has the high pressure one as well. Low pressure cutout is pretty important. If the refrigerant has leaked out, there will be nothing to carry oil around the AC circuit, which can lead to a compressor burning up.

Do you have the instrument cluster that has a tach? What kind of rpms are you turning at 87mph? What gears do you have 4.11? or 3.73?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Dan

Do you have the instrument cluster that has a tach? What kind of rpms are you turning at 87mph? What gears do you have 4.11? or 3.73?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Dan
There isn't a tach yet but one is in the plans so I don't know the rpm's. Probably wasn't the best idea and likely won't ever do it again but wanted to know the range. Not sure about the gear ratio. Nothing has been changed there so stock is the guess.

Apologize.......not a lot of info here.

BJ 75 should have 4.11 gears in stock form unless special ordered with different gears .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom