Builds Portland Troopy Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the box idea too, but....it would have to be smaller though. Oh, and by the way, got my PDP second fuel filter diff breather kit installed. I tried to find a way to put the fuel cut off somewhere on the bottom of the chassis but decided to install it inline with the fuel filters. I had to add a relay but it works. Works so well that I have forgotten a couple of times to switch it off. I was able to get about 100 yards before the truck died.

Ok, so I found a couple of pics of the box. One empty and the other full. It was amazing how quickly the room was absorbed. I haven't really tried to "organize" it yet though. You'll see in the empty pic the vertical divider that I wrote about. I'm going to take that out and probably have another shelf welded more towards the top. Keep lighter "stuff" in it and the vertical support won't be needed.

The top of the box has L track....tie stuff (firewood?) on top.

I know that some folks thought the box looked big and I get that but I needed the room. Everything that WAS in the bench seat is now inside this box. View attachment 2319507View attachment 2319509View attachment 2319507View attachment 2319509
Looks like you would have room for a shelf above the chairs as well.

Looks like you would have room for a shelf above the chairs as well.
I think so. Small stuff...good idea.

The box was made to fit the chairs. They’re 20 years old. Everyone custom builds a box around 20yo chairs, right?

The roof rack is coming along. I'm getting a weight tonight but it should be very lightweight as it is aluminum. The plan is to powder coat it black to match the top.
Rack Tire.jpeg
rack tire2.jpeg

Ok, so I found a couple of pics of the box. One empty and the other full. It was amazing how quickly the room was absorbed. I haven't really tried to "organize" it yet though. You'll see in the empty pic the vertical divider that I wrote about. I'm going to take that out and probably have another shelf welded more towards the top. Keep lighter "stuff" in it and the vertical support won't be needed.

The top of the box has L track....tie stuff (firewood?) on top.

I know that some folks thought the box looked big and I get that but I needed the room. Everything that WAS in the bench seat is now inside this box. View attachment 2319507View attachment 2319509View attachment 2319507View attachment 2319509
Those boxes are fantastic on longer overlanding trips ... especially for the dirty type cargo and it frees up alot of internal space.Originally I thought our box was also too big but we have come to appreciate it and I think you will too.
When you upgrade the gas struts also consider the strength of the roof hinge cos it takes the brunt of the force when the struts tries to push the raised roof forward and onto the hood ...
2c

The roof rack is coming along. Total weight of the rack with the mount for the spare is 50lbs. There is NO noticeable difference in raising and lowering the top with the spare mounted. The solar panel will mount towards the rear of the truck and weighs 20lbs.

It's super easy to get onto the roof. I shook the spare and it's rock solid.
roof rack 3.jpg
roof rack 4.jpg

Not real sure why Alucab doesn't offer a rack like this.

Should be off to powdercoating this week.

The hatch will be cut 70/30 this week and the inside of the box will be modified for better spacing on the shelves.

Those boxes are fantastic on longer overlanding trips ... especially for the dirty type cargo and it frees up alot of internal space.Originally I thought our box was also too big but we have come to appreciate it and I think you will too.
When you upgrade the gas struts also consider the strength of the roof hinge cos it takes the brunt of the force when the struts tries to push the raised roof forward and onto the hood ...
2c
Really appreciate your comments here. Some folks mentioned that the box looks huge but it was amazing how quickly the space was used.

No upgraded struts were added to the roof and I'm convinced that none will need to be added. As mentioned I noticed NO difference in the opening and closing of the top....it works like it did before the rack and tire were added.

I DID upgrade the struts on the sleep platform as it slammed down a couple of times in cold weather. The heavier struts seem to have addressed that.

Hatch door has been cut to 70/30. This will allow a sleeping partner to exit without the other person sitting up and also will allow heat to come upstairs if one of the hatch doors is left open. More on this mod later.

hatch door.jpeg

Solar panel installed. May put another one on if needed. This will all come off again for powder coating. The raw aluminum is growing on me.
solar 1.jpg
solar2.jpg

Coming along.
6C8A534E-3F4E-48BE-9808-DBD758A62824.jpeg

Roll the window down, stand on the door/window sill, should be able to reach it from there and toss it to the ground. Just make sure it doesn't roll away from you when you do it...

It’s four small steps from the back of the truck to the roof. Yes, toss the spare from the top. To put the flat on top, get it to the top of the box and lift up from there. Sounds simple enough but I haven’t dealt with the spare yet. The biggest issue I see is getting around the solar panel(s).

Ideally the spare wouldn’t be on the roof but with the addition of the bumper storage box there wasn’t any place else to put it.

Trying to decide if the rack should be powder coated black or left as is....bare aluminum. Cost to PC is $250.

Love opinions.

Reactions: MES
Just to be contrary, leave it bare. With the 80/20 and adjusting things, you risk chipping the powder coating every time you move things around. Leave it bare and spend the $250 on beer for the craftsman who helped you build it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom