Builds Portland Troopy Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put a Highway Products box on today. Very nicely built and will provide a lot of extra storage. Not too big and looks good on the troopy.
0FB15A36-9B05-4EB9-9349-B10DFBA7C28B.jpeg

23C9B0DA-5AA0-4525-BE26-5CA57BB1EFCF.jpeg

Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters sent new door gaskets for all the doors. Rear door lower stopper. Upper door striker assembly. Rear trim plate.

Crazy times right now. Hope all are well.

What is the reason you decided to replaced the striker assembly? Does this noticebly improve opening and closing?

I've been playing around with mine because the big rear door needs some lifting and budging to properly open and close and dust enters way to easily. Don't really feel like spending a fortune replacing all four hinges, both door rubbers and the strikers, want to replace the most effective parts.

What is the reason you decided to replaced the striker assembly? Does this noticebly improve opening and closing?

I've been playing around with mine because the big rear door needs some lifting and budging to properly open and close and dust enters way to easily. Don't really feel like spending a fortune replacing all four hinges, both door rubbers and the strikers, want to replace the most effective parts.

I'd start with your hinges... that was the biggest culprit on my rear small door and my drivers' side front door. But really, doing it all will seal everything up nice.

I
Put a Highway Products box on today. Very nicely built and will provide a lot of extra storage. Not too big and looks good on the troopy.View attachment 2283804

I’ve got to admit, that looks absolutely huge.

What are you planning on putting in there? I’d guess you can fit a fair amount of weight in there which sits way back behind the rear axle.

How do the roof struts handle the spare mounted up there?

There was a rubber piece missing from the top piece and the bottom piece had a rubber stopper that was coming out. My understanding is that the pieces weren't available individually.

I was getting dust from the back but after replacing the gaskets and the other parts I think that should take care of the problem.

I

I’ve got to admit, that looks absolutely huge.

What are you planning on putting in there? I’d guess you can fit a fair amount of weight in there which sits way back behind the rear axle.
I've already got the box full. Two camp chairs. High Lift Jack base. Toilet. Stove. Air hose. Fresh water hose. Bottle Jack. Kinetic Strap. Oil. Brake Fluid. Tools.

The space goes quick.

Shipping weight on the box was 50lbs so loaded with the "stuff" above, it won't be any heavier than the spare.

There is L track on top of the box which will provide a way to carry a few sticks of firewood or other miscellaneous.

I agree that in the pic the box looks big. However, it doesn't stick out any farther than the spare tire did. Also, the rear view on the passenger (right) side already was mostly obstructed by the cabinet. I can still see out the rear from the drivers side window and also about an inch or so on the right. In person, the box seems to just "fit" and doesn't seem out of place.

The only real downside from the box that I can see is that the spare now has to be on the roof. It's super easy to access the roof though from the bumper by basically taking three steps up. So easy access, and hopefully I'll very seldom need the spare. Everything is a trade off it seems. The truck is now with an aluminum welder for the next couple of weeks where a roof mount for the spare and a solar panel will be fabricated. Once this is done, I think that I'll "hopefully" be able to say that I'm through with the build. Maybe an intercooler. Driving lights. Stereo. Navigation.

Can someone please help me??

This is a cool box. Would love to see what you've done inside...
Inside the truck? Happy to take pics. I think there's a few back in the build thread. Let me know if anything in particular is of interest.

If you say so....
Funny. Smiling. Yeah, I guess to each his own. I can see your point though and I hope I'm not going off the deep end with this. The thing is that I expect to live out of the truck for the drive south. As much room as there is in the troopy......I was able to empty the entire bench seat storage. All the stuff that I'll need daily....chairs, stove, etc. are right on the back for easy access.

When overlanding , space is never enough .
But...how is you roof coping with the weight of the tire on top of it ?
I have my roof that " barely " stands on its own .
If I would put a spare wheel , 30-40 kg , it will not stand .
Some times with strong contrary wind I must put a leg stick inside to safely hold it .

The only real downside from the box that I can see is that the spare now has to be on the roof. It's super easy to access the roof though from the bumper by basically taking three steps up. So easy access, and hopefully I'll very seldom need the spare. Everything is a trade off it seems. The truck is now with an aluminum welder for the next couple of weeks where a roof mount for the spare and a solar panel will be fabricated. Once this is done, I think that I'll "hopefully" be able to say that I'm through with the build. Maybe an intercooler. Driving lights. Stereo. Navigation.

Can someone please help me??

I can't imagine getting a 35kg (approx?) spare up and down from the roof is particularly easy? I know I struggle with it on my back door and my rims are ultra light but the KM3 is super heavy.

When overlanding , space is never enough .
But...how is you roof coping with the weight of the tire on top of it ?
I have my roof that " barely " stands on its own .
If I would put a spare wheel , 30-40 kg , it will not stand .
Some times with strong contrary wind I must put a leg stick inside to safely hold it .

Suppose the solution is heavier gas struts...

I loaded my Zarges box on the roof with all my tools and recovery stuff and then I couldn't open de roof anymore, bugger!

So I decided to reshuffle and move all the heavy stuff to a cut open jerry can on the back and then loaded the Zarges with light stuff.

If I would have had more time, I would have purchased heavier struts. There are enough online webshops where you can order the exact strength you need. This site is in Dutch, but it has a super straightforward calculator (no Dutch skills needed ;)) :

Suppose the solution is heavier gas struts...

I loaded my Zarges box on the roof with all my tools and recovery stuff and then I couldn't open de roof anymore, bugger!

So I decided to reshuffle and move all the heavy stuff to a cut open jerry can on the back and then loaded the Zarges with light stuff.

If I would have had more time, I would have purchased heavier struts. There are enough online webshops where you can order the exact strength you need. This site is in Dutch, but it has a super straightforward calculator (no Dutch skills needed ;)) :

it’s also worth noting that you’d want as much weight as possible right at the front of the roof.

Inside the truck? Happy to take pics. I think there's a few back in the build thread. Let me know if anything in particular is of interest.

No, inside the box. Is it shelved? Just a big open space? How'd you organize/cram stuff in?

Sorry for the slow uptake on messages. The truck is at an aluminum welder and I will be happy to get pics of the inside of the box. There is a shelf but unfortunately ran a divider vertically inside the box. I don't like that an it's coming out.

I'm going try to attach some pics here of the rack that is being made for the roof. I'm going to like it. Will mount two solar panels and the spare will be right at the front of the roof just behind the windshield. If you keep the weight towards the front it doesn't affect the opening an closing.
Rack 1.jpg
Rack 4.jpg

Last edited:
And I completely agree about having to get the tire ON the roof. It's going to be a PIA but hopefully it won't happen often. Might be a 2 beer job with rest.

Ok, so I found a couple of pics of the box. One empty and the other full. It was amazing how quickly the room was absorbed. I haven't really tried to "organize" it yet though. You'll see in the empty pic the vertical divider that I wrote about. I'm going to take that out and probably have another shelf welded more towards the top. Keep lighter "stuff" in it and the vertical support won't be needed.

The top of the box has L track....tie stuff (firewood?) on top.

I know that some folks thought the box looked big and I get that but I needed the room. Everything that WAS in the bench seat is now inside this box.
box empty.jpg
box full.jpg
box empty.jpg
box full.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom