POLL: Which Front Bumper Do You Have on your 200? (1 Viewer)

Which Front Bumper Manufacturer Bumper do you currently have installed on your 200?

• Toyota Factory Front Bumper

Votes: 118 51.1%
  • ARB

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Cbi

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Dissent

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Dobinsons

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Ironman

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Metal Tech

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Rhino

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • TJM

Votes: 15 6.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did most of you guys do your bumper or bumpers at the same time as your lift or just s front springs ?
I’m at the point on my 2019 to do both front and rear bumpers and suspension all at the same time , I don’t want to have to go back and re do spring rates .

Simply not true
I personally hit an extremely large buck at about 75mph with our low profile bumper and while the vehicle and bumper took damages I was able to drive the 4K miles and continue our trip. I can also say with confidence that if the bumper had not have given the frame would have, most likely totaling the vehicle. I can tell you that any bumper out there would most definitely have not survived.
We did however make some improvements on the bumper design based off that collision and also offer a beefier full replacement with optional bull bar.
The bumpers are also a steel aluminum hybrid all built from 1/4” steel on the frame brackets and 1/4” aluminum on the main shell. They are also designed to give before the frame does in a high speed collision as a bumper should.

View attachment 2470785

View attachment 2470789

View attachment 2470790

Ya, I was referring to the low profile bumper, which seemed to be what was available at the time. Glad to hear you strengthened it after the incident. If you’ve made significant changes, and it’s ready to take larger or regular trail impacts, then bravo.

Last edited:
Now we see the real reason @benc started building a version with a hoop for the 2016+ ;)

The bumper from the deer strike is the one my comments were referring to.
This one:
18511AB1-F70E-4B10-9671-09513FC50CE1.png

Not every bumper design has to be focused on big impacts. I just think it’s fair to mention that some aren’t going to provide as much impact protection as others—if impact protection is a high priority...which is what I was talking about.

There are light weight priorities that are legit...and it was great for that. It looks great too. Just wasn’t a strength-focused design.

Last edited:
The bumper from the deer strike is the one my comments were referring to.
This one:
View attachment 2473405
Not every bumper design has to be focused on big impacts. I just think it’s fair to mention that some aren’t going to provide as much impact protection as others—if impact protection is a high priority...which is what I was talking about.

There are light weight priorities that are legit...and it was great for that. It looks great too. Just wasn’t a strength-focused design.
It has always been designed to take low speed impacts and i have had plenty without issue. Like I said, this was a high speed impact at about 75mph. The bumper saved the vehicle from being totaled and was certainly not a damage multiplayer like suggested. I can say with 100% confidence that it would have been far worse without the bumper. FWIW the frame brackets are and were made from 1/4” reinforced steel and those were the main points that bent, it also ever so slightly bent the frame. If the bumper did not give the frame would be in much worse shape as well. Again we made some improvements however it is still designed to give in a high speed impact. In an impact like this something has to give and we do our best to make sure it’s the bumper before the frame. Here is a pic from a couple days after, I was able to drive 300 miles to grand junction, make some repairs in the koa camp ground and continue onto the event. I posted the pic because imo the bumper did its job, I am confident that the lc would have been on a flat bed headed back to California where it likely would have been totaled out without the bumper.
049D6E2E-75EB-4449-8409-44FABC3A6A29.jpeg

Did most of you guys do your bumper or bumpers at the same time as your lift or just s front springs ?
I’m at the point on my 2019 to do both front and rear bumpers and suspension all at the same time , I don’t want to have to go back and re do spring rates .
It is certainly a good idea to plan out your suspension for the bumpers and other loads.
We have done a lot of different combos so feel free to reach out if you would like.

Now we see the real reason @benc started building a version with a hoop for the 2016+ ;)
Part of it yes, that being said in this particular situation I don’t feel it would have made much difference either way. No matter the bumper you are going to see some pretty major damages at this speed unless you hit it just right. A dead center hit could help but a single side impact with or without the bull bar would have had similar results most likely.

I’m still in the plan mode , I like the ARB stuff but after seeing my buddies rear bumper I am not that excited about ARB Summit looks great but I want real steel strength 3/16 or close .
I like Kaymar stuff but also put a inquire On the Slee rear bumper is pretty trick .
I’m on hold as far as suspension until I pick my bumpers and may also swap out the running boards .
Sucks you have to drop 10k on your stock 200 Street Cruiser to turn it into a Land Cruiser .

Sucks you have to drop 10k on your stock 200 Street Cruiser to turn it into a Land Cruiser .

Strongly disagree. The 200 is a very capable trail rig right out of the box - the one exception being tires. Bumpers, suspension, control arms, etc - it's all 'nice to haves' but certainly not must haves. I drove my 200 through some pretty gnarly trails before it ever had an upgrade beyond tires and it handled just fine.

I'm no longer on the west coast , I ran a full Genright buggy with 40's for hard packed Technical stuff , I really was not interested thrashing my 80k Land cruiser , now I'm on the east coast , sand and mud out here but we do have a lot of Mountian fire trails , coal mine trails and hill climbs .
I have side by side and quads these days .
I basically use the Land Cruiser on the Beaches and New Jersey Pines , I'm not getting too carried away , maybe 34" tires , bumpers , Front Winch is a must possible a Winch rear would be plenty of room with the rear tire relocated to the bumper .
I'm in PA right on the NJ line so I'm always in the Pines and lots of sand , this is my 2nd LC and the first one was sunk in the sand more times than I remember .
This is my 2nd I picked up just before the whole Covid 19 thing and got a great deal trading up from a 2017 to a 2019 , I almost got what I paid for my 17 .
The 2019 is bone stock , I'm putting together my build list just not sure on the front bumper , I do like the ARB if I can't find another style like the ARB but built better I will just get one .

I'm no longer on the west coast , I ran a full Genright buggy with 40's for hard packed Technical stuff , I really was not interested thrashing my 80k Land cruiser , now I'm on the east coast , sand and mud out here but we do have a lot of Mountian fire trails , coal mine trails and hill climbs .
I have side by side and quads these days .
I basically use the Land Cruiser on the Beaches and New Jersey Pines , I'm not getting too carried away , maybe 34" tires , bumpers , Front Winch is a must possible a Winch rear would be plenty of room with the rear tire relocated to the bumper .
I'm in PA right on the NJ line so I'm always in the Pines and lots of sand , this is my 2nd LC and the first one was sunk in the sand more times than I remember .
This is my 2nd I picked up just before the whole Covid 19 thing and got a great deal trading up from a 2017 to a 2019 , I almost got what I paid for my 17 .
The 2019 is bone stock , I'm putting together my build list just not sure on the front bumper , I do like the ARB if I can't find another style like the ARB but built better I will just get one .
Ironman is running a sale: Premium Off Road Bumper Suited For 2016+ Toyota 200 Series Land Cruiser

I like Ironman stuff , I was wondering if they improved there coatings , I know a few guys who had there bumpers when I lived out west and Ironman kind of cheated out bumpers were rusting in all the nooks and crannies small rust spots developed .
Besides that I do like there stuff , they are on my list , my biggest choice would be hoop or no hoop , we have lots of Deer in my area , I would think hoop would be better .

After weekend research I’m looking at TJM , they are a little more money but seem to have a good report from all Toyota reviews on this site and others , I’m on other sites with my Taco and guys say they are a good manufacture , I like the Ironman but seem to be a budget bumper they cut a few corners on fit and finish .
ARB are nice but don’t like that I have to cut my OEM bumper and piece fillers ... thats just stupid , they lost my money because of that .
That puts me at the TJM , there a little more in price than the Ironman especially with the sale going on .
Any one have one on there 2016 + 200 ?
Do we have TJM distributor we are getting a discount with ?

Last edited:
I got in on the Rhino group buy after hitting a tiny deer with my plastic factory bumper. I felt that it looked slightly more factory than most of the other choices.
Bump on the Rhinos. Anyone part of the group buy and interested in selling? PM me. Also, any ARB reps on here that can help me procure an ARB Sahara for my '13 LC in Atlanta?

I just ordered the TJM , I have had ARB and are a nice bumper but liked what I seen with a one piece bumper no cutting cannibalizing and not as Aesthetically pleasing as a one piece , ARB could have made one and I think they cheaped out , TJM has done a better job .
Now I have to figure out which Wench for my new bumper , 4 to 6 weeks which is fine .
Waiting to hear from Slee rear bumper out of stock , I do like there rear bumper or a Kaymar .

I just ordered the TJM , I have had ARB and are a nice bumper but liked what I seen with a one piece bumper no cutting cannibalizing and not as Aesthetically pleasing as a one piece , ARB could have made one and I think they cheaped out , TJM has done a better job .
Now I have to figure out which Wench for my new bumper , 4 to 6 weeks which is fine .
Waiting to hear from Slee rear bumper out of stock , I do like there rear bumper or a Kaymar .
I'm not sure ARB cheaped out. I think they were the first (or one of the first) to produce a bumper for the 200-series. I suspect one of their design goals was near-universal fit, regardless of minor changes or differences in the body between years and regions. Another was likely the ability for the bumper to handle abuse without damaging the body - because it's mounted to the frame the body will move differently than the bumper and can make contact if things are too close. Third was allowing for the above flex without huge unsightly gaps between the bumper and the body.

@benc do you make a pre 2016 Landcruiser front bumper? Specifically for a 2013 I didn't see any on your website? Do you have any pics?

@benc do you make a pre 2016 Landcruiser front bumper? Specifically for a 2013 I didn't see any on your website? Do you have any pics?

Dissent’s original design fits the 2013. That’s what I am running. His newer design with the hoops I believe is Currently only offered for the 2016+.

It has always been designed to take low speed impacts and i have had plenty without issue. Like I said, this was a high speed impact at about 75mph. The bumper saved the vehicle from being totaled and was certainly not a damage multiplayer like suggested. I can say with 100% confidence that it would have been far worse without the bumper. FWIW the frame brackets are and were made from 1/4” reinforced steel and those were the main points that bent, it also ever so slightly bent the frame. If the bumper did not give the frame would be in much worse shape as well. Again we made some improvements however it is still designed to give in a high speed impact. In an impact like this something has to give and we do our best to make sure it’s the bumper before the frame. Here is a pic from a couple days after, I was able to drive 300 miles to grand junction, make some repairs in the koa camp ground and continue onto the event. I posted the pic because imo the bumper did its job, I am confident that the lc would have been on a flat bed headed back to California where it likely would have been totaled out without the bumper. View attachment 2473559

I'll echo Ben's points made here.

The viewpoint that things can continually made increasingly massive under the guise of bigger/better/more protection is simply false. Leading to a false sense of security.

Protection has to be evaluated in the context of the system. What are we trying to protect? At some point, more strength is futile and will only serve to be a damage multiplier. Whether that is to the frame, or worse, the occupants. With enough impact energy, something has to give.

I agree with Ben that the bumper ultimately should always be the sacrificial component. What I see in the picture is an unfortunate accident, but a successful bumper design. OEMs design frames to crumple. They have features and notches to help them deform, in a controlled fashion - to protect the occupants. Bumpers should be the same. Enough robustness to handle weekend rock humping. But only so much as they should never be so stout as to ask the frame, or occupants, to be the sacrificial component.

Nevermind the weight of some bumpers that would hamper the possibility of effectively stopping or maneuvering around a potential accident in the first place.

For those with the ARB Summit, what did you do regarding front springs? I have the Ironman FC Pro setup with 1" comfort lift springs (front and rear) rated at an additional 110lbs. The springs seem really stout (just installed yesterday so no settling). . .do you think they would handle the load without too much sag?

I can't speak to the ARB Summit but I have the Trail Tailor bar with a winch and lights, all of which adds almost 200#. I run the Tough Dog standard duty springs and lift-wise it was less than 1/2" of sag.

That said there's more to your setup than just ride height as the weight over the front impacts braking and handling characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom