Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (5 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,195 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
There is some discussion going on of total and sudden braking failure in 100 series models, with reports of no -or essentially no- braking left at all a very short time (of the order of seconds/minutes) after dashboard warnings. That is scary stuff. It is, however, also difficult to find out how prevalent a problem that is based on just anecdotal evidence. So let's find out a bit more and see if we can get a better feel for how common a problem this really is. I'll just put out a few options in a quick poll here. Yes, yes, this is not scientific etc etc. But it may either help put some folks at ease or prod some into taking proactive measures. If it helps increase the visibility of a possible problem and prevent one accident, that is great.

So, here you go. You can only vote for a 100 you personally have at this time. If you have more than one 100 -or in the unlikely event you had 2 distinct failures- you may pick more than one option or ask another Mudder to vote for you if the system won't let you do it all yourself (if you have 2 Nos to report for example.) Do not vote for somebody else's current truck, but you can report a failure experienced by a previous owner of your current vehicle. I'll leave this open to changes so you can change your pick in a while if -I hope not- you experience the problem at some later date. I'll put in various mileage options in case there is some pattern to it that might emerge and help narrow things down. Feel free to post and elaborate a bit on circumstances, warning signs, resolution etc, that may be helpful to others. Be sure to vote as well if you have NOT experienced this or the results will be skewed. The more folks who vote, the more meaningful the stats will be. Everybody who looks at this thread and personally has a 100, please vote!

Last edited:
Mine is a little different. My brake lines failed backing out of my driveway. Pedal went to floor, alarm went off, I was not going fast enough to b dangerous.

that reads like total brake failure, if a bit different than the booster problem. Were the lines corroded? And you lost both front and rear at the same time?

If you have experienced this or any unsafe brake failure please submit a complaint to NHTSA https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

They do read them and if they see a pattern or a trend they will definitely inquire Toyota.

My vote was no. Mine is an '01 with 115,000 miles.

No on my 98 w/ 173.

I voted NO and have 204k miles on my 2000

Brake booster failure at 235k miles on my 99. Found the electric motor that powered the abs pump finally quit. The abs light would come on and the pedal would be VERY soft. Replaced abs actuator and all was good.

Prior owner had failure around 144k. Dealership replaced brake master cyclinder and brake booster.

No, 1998 with 112,000 miles

No, 1999 with 230,000 miles

I voted no.

My 05 LX has 117,XXX and my 04 LC has 102,XXX

No. 1998 with current 210K miles. Full disclosure, bought her at 207K miles. I have receipts from past 4 years and do not see this issue. It could be replaced earlier though.

No, 2002 with 168K Miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom