Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (3 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,196 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, 2003 with 106k miles.

Just to be sure, you guys putting up a post saying No, you realize you still have to click the option button, right?

Anyway, these stats so far -20% and holding- better not be right... but, all the same, I had a talk with my wife about what to do in case this happens to her...

Last edited:
My 2000, had brake system/lines flushed in 2011 with 177k miles on it. Right now, it has 210k miles. However, previous owner did not keep service records from 2011 to present, so not sure what happened over the next 30k miles. I don't believe anything major. Although, it's at the shop right now getting all new seals. I may now have him check the brakes a little closer!

Just to be sure, you guys putting up a post saying No, you realize you still have to click the option button, right?

Anyway, these stats so far -20% and holding- better not be right... but, all the same, I had a talk with my wife about what to do in case this happens to her...

Curious - what did you tell her?

I'm thinking the data suggests preventative maintenance should be done at about 100,000 to reduce risk of failure, the question is, what should be done? (Hopefully something short of replacing the entire assembly.)

Gil

600 views but only 80 votes. What's with that? Either a few 100 people with a morbid fascination for the issue coming back over and over again, hoping to see the failure rate go down, or the damn 80 guys enjoying our poor 100s getting hammered by brake failures....? :confused::D
Vote guys, vote! This can't be true....

Last edited:
Gil, I told her that she better take good care of me and be nice while she still can, cuz you never know... :D

Last edited:
Addendum to my earlier post. I had total brake failure because of corroded lines at approx 95,000 in a 2000 LC. As I recall, I had no brakes, the blown line was in the rear Drivers side and I was able to get a small amount of pressure if I panic pumped the brakes.

Addendum to my earlier post. I had total brake failure because of corroded lines at approx 95,000 in a 2000 LC. As I recall, I had no brakes, the blown line was in the rear Drivers side and I was able to get a small amount of pressure if I panic pumped the brakes.

doesn't that thing have separate rear and front systems? If so, I would have thought that would give you still sufficient braking power...

Yes
Total brake failure
157,xxx

Yes. 1999 LX470 MC has slow leak. No pedal problems. Fixing problem now. LX had no warning lights come on.

No, 2000 LC w/167K miles

This thread is telling me I need to readjust my E-brake ASAP.

^ needs to be done several times per year...if you expect it to even sorta, kinda work :bang:

^ needs to be done several times per year...if you expect it to even sorta, kinda work :bang:

I voted "yes". Before and what pushed me to doing the Stoptech BBK (zero regrets BTW) I had a couple situations in Utah and also in Death Valley where I was on a steep incline and the brake pedal went to the floor. No bueno. The situation in DV, with the usual suspects as witness, just about dragged me off the top of South Park and into Striped Butte Valley...the fast way.

The second occurrence was when the front brake line ruptured while at the last switchback turn climbing out of the Maze District atop the Flint Trail switchies. I just got past the last of the multi-point turn switchbacks and the line burst. It was then I discovered :mad: Land Cruisers, at least 100-Series, do not have more than one brake circuit: Lose one corner line and you lose all corners. No bueno.

Kind of unfathomable in this day and age of automobile safety at all costs...and NHTSA, guberment oversight, lawyers, yadeeyadeeyada.

And certainly not what one would expect for the flagship vehicle in any car mfg's lineup.

wow, you sure about that eh? no dual circuits? amazing!

I have to say, the more I think about all this, the more disturbed I am. Talking about the 80s for example, one can badmouth the HG issue, say, and sure enough it's not great; but at least it won't have a significant probability of killing you if it fails. This is a different level altogether and brings up serious safety concerns. And if indeed not only can the pump failing zero your brakes, but there is also no dual circuits, one is left to wonder about the design of that system... I for one, never had any concerns about having the family take out the 100, indeed I was thinking it's one of the safest vehicles on the road and so I encouraged that over the Prius, say. Now, though, I'm wondering...

Last edited:
and coming back to the pump issue, it also is worth noting that the poll suggests that this happens pretty early on in the life of the vehicle too... The higher numbers between 100 and 150K may just be the result of there being more of those trucks around, of course, but yet, the absolute mileage at which this happens is damn low for a truck that is marketed as being near indestructible and that should last 300K plus by all accounts...
:censor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom