Please advise: High mileage LX vs Lower mileage GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I have been looking at a few options for a family car. We need it for daily driving, but also go on a few high mile road trips during the year. No off-roading. The wife sits in the back with the baby for now.

So we have it narrowed down to a:

black 2015 GX460 with 81,000 miles for $24,000

or a:

pearl 2013 LX570 with 181,000 miles for $27,500.

I drove the LX and it drives like a dream. Like perhaps one of the best driving experiences of my life. We’re just hesitant because of the miles and it feels a bit dated to my wife. Haven’t drove the GX yet. Anyways, what do y’all think?

181k seems high for a 2013. At 21k miles a year, you can assume most of those were highway. Is it at a dealer here in Houston? How many previous owners? How’s the rust?

being a 200 forum, you may not get a lot of love for the GX, but they really are apples vs oranges.

Edit: never mind, just found it at Northside. 1 owner and sold from that same dealer. Not bad.
They listed price is stupid at $31k.

Last edited:
181k seems high for a 2013. At 21k miles a year, you can assume most of those were highway. Is it at a dealer here in Houston? How many previous owners? How’s the rust?

being a 200 forum, you may not get a lot of love for the GX, but they really are apples vs oranges.

Edit: never mind, just found it at Northside. 1 owner and sold from that same dealer. Not bad.
They listed price is stupid at $31k.
Yup that’s the one. I talked them down to $27,500. What do you think? Our budget is $30k after TTL

Yup that’s the one. I talked them down to $27,500. What do you think? Our budget is $30k after TTL

Do you know how to plug the vin into the Lexus website and see all the service details?

No off-roading = why aren't you considering a Sienna instead? Image?

Not sure what your suggesting but my family and I have 600k+ miles in 100s and 200s. Not one mile off-road.

I have a heavily modified 4Runner that’s seen nothing but paved and dirt roads too.

Some people appreciate these vehicles for what they are.

Yeah I like luxury. Sue me.
Did you commit a crime against me that I don't know about?

Why on earth would I sue you?

Seems to me you got offended by my first post. Sorry about that, BUT, it was an honest factual question.

Just for financial intel:

Bought a 2010 LX with 125K from Sewell (North Houston) a couple months ago for $29 after TTL, and feel that given its maintenance records and history, I probably overpaid marginally for the risk assumed.

Obviously I’m partial to the LX, as I think most of us are on here, but from my reading on the GX (looking to find one as a salvage project to beat up in Colorado mountains), they’re great cars too. Follow your heart... life is short.

I drive a 2015 LC, wife drives a 2014 GX. If size isn’t important, the gx drives very nice and I recommend it to all that will listen when we talk about smaller SUV’s.

Go drive the GX and report back. You can't make a decision until you and your wife have been in both! :slap:

Have the wife stand at the back of the GX and open that stupid (IMO) door. Then look at all the room that folding rear seat takes up, and it's a PITA to remove.

That might help.

I will second the minivan recommendation, doesn’t have to be a Sienna, any that cross the ocean from the west are fine. SUVS are just not very practical for small kids.
GX vs LX I don’t see the competition.

Have the wife stand at the back of the GX and open that stupid (IMO) door. Then look at all the room that folding rear seat takes up, and it's a PITA to remove.

That might help.

I own one of each, both are 2019 models. The door on the GX is stupid in theory but in reality it hasn't been an issue and it has been used on many SUV's over the years. The third row folds flat into the floor so it doesn't take up any space other than having a 4-5" higher deck height as opposed to the silly jump seats in the 200 series that still take up space on the floor unless permanently removed with their mounts.

The GX is IMHO the better every day/around town vehicle due to it's size. I prefer the GX off-road as well for the same reasons, size and weight. The GX is still a good highway vehicle, better than most in it's class and it gets better fuel economy than the LX. There's no denying that the 200 series is the better all-round truck, but that's to be expected when you compare their price tags and categories. I love taking the 200 series on long road trips, it's buttery smooth and the more comfortable option. If I weren't interested in major off-road use and needed a long haul highway truck then I'd definitely lean towards the 200. If off-road trips and in-town use are of more importance then I would lean towards the GX.

In regards to the two particular vehicles you listed OP, I would take the GX hands down based purely on price and mileage. That LX is over priced given the mileage and year model. There are bound to be better LX options out there if you look around. Should you end up leaning towards the 200 then I would broaden your search and look for a better deal.

We will likely be selling our LX next year and keeping the GX. I will miss the LX and many of its attributes but we simply get more use out of the GX and it's already well on its way towards being built out for off-road travel. We might find ourselves back in a 200 at some point but for now it looks to be on the chopping block. Best of luck with your decision and the search for the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom