Please advise: High mileage LX vs Lower mileage GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You try the RX? They ride better as well, and is a more updated platform over a 13 year old 200 series. And you'll be getting a far newer one than something with 181k miles. A unibody ride will out-do a truck chassis every single time.

Even though it's a 200 series, you're driving something with close to 200k miles on it. Expensive parts start to wear out, and I'm sure you're not someone who wants to be DIY or chasing down repairs after spending $30k. Most of that rubber is near end of it's useable life and suspension parts are going to have to be taken care of.

At $30k, most 200 series are for enthusiasts and diy'ers, unless you budget $x per year into repairs and maintenance.

You try the RX? They ride better as well, and is a more updated platform over a 13 year old 200 series. And you'll be getting a far newer one than something with 181k miles. A unibody ride will out-do a truck chassis every single time.

Even though it's a 200 series, you're driving something with close to 200k miles on it. Expensive parts start to wear out, and I'm sure you're not someone who wants to be DIY or chasing down repairs after spending $30k. Most of that rubber is near end of it's useable life and suspension parts are going to have to be taken care of.

At $30k, most 200 series are for enthusiasts and diy'ers, unless you budget $x per year into repairs and maintenance.
Heck, get an RXh and you can almost completely avoid the torque steer the 200 exhibits towards a gas station!

Looking at your responses, seems like your heart really wants the LX. But you have to use your brain this time and put your family first.

Your budget is $30k, and it’s unwise (almost irresponsible) to spend it on a 200k mileage car (any brand) for family duty. In fact, I wouldn’t even consider the 80k mileage GX.

With a $30k budget, I would get a Highlander/4runner.

My wife and I have been looking at a few options for a family car. We need it for daily driving, but also go on a few high mile road trips during the year. No off-roading. The wife sits in the back with the baby for now.

So we have it narrowed down to a:

black 2015 GX460 with 81,000 miles for $24,000

or a:

pearl 2013 LX570 with 181,000 miles for $27,500.

I drove the LX and it drives like a dream. Like perhaps one of the best driving experiences of my life. We’re just hesitant because of the miles and it feels a bit dated to my wife. Haven’t drove the GX yet. Anyways, what do y’all think?

If you don’t need to tow and don’t go off road, a used Lexus RX or a Highlander will be a better family vehicle. Lower miles for the same money, much better fuel economy, and still gets you Toyota reliability/longevity. If you have a bunch of kids I would add Sequoia to the mix but with one small child an RX or Highlander might be ideal.

If you are set on getting a body-on-frame 4WD then the lower mile GX would make more sense.

Last edited:
i looked up the lexus owners website. The good news is they changed out the differential fluids, transfer case, flush brake fluids, replaced rear bearings recently.

There was no mention of AHC fluid flush ever. Only drive belt was replaced so no mention of radiator, water pump, and/or starter. The previous owner could have used an independent to replace all the above noted items.

This lx was recently acquired (11/21/20) so contact them by years end if you have your heart set on this one.

The dealership will be highly motivated to negotiate even further.

Had a 2016 GX and hated the seats. Have a 2018 LX and love the seats.

In your case, you need to get the GX or wait until you can spend another 5K and get a lower mileage LX. Not that higher miles is all that bed, but the money you need to spend base-lining and doing PM on an older LX is likely to break anyone on a strict budget. As an owner of both, I can say you will be very happy with the GX as long as you don't go out and drive too many LX's...it will spoil you! My wife loves her GX. I personally hate the rear cargo door on the GX. If it had a split tailgate or a 4runner hatch/sliding window, it would be a hard truck to beat.

I own one of each, both are 2019 models. The door on the GX is stupid in theory but in reality it hasn't been an issue and it has been used on many SUV's over the years. The third row folds flat into the floor so it doesn't take up any space other than having a 4-5" higher deck height as opposed to the silly jump seats in the 200 series that still take up space on the floor unless permanently removed with their mounts.

Understood. Don't get me wrong, I think the GX is a great vehicle, and I looked really hard at the first generation which ended in 2009. The combo of the door and the raised floor in the 2nd gen was a deal breaker for me. I have no use for the 3rd row seats, but they are quite a project to remove from the GX, a simple task in the LX/LC. I wouldn't be able to open that rear door if the truck was in my garage, without putting the garage door up, it's too long.

Each person has different needs/tolerances, which is what I was trying to say.

Understood. Don't get me wrong, I think the GX is a great vehicle, and I looked really hard at the first generation which ended in 2009. The combo of the door and the raised floor in the 2nd gen was a deal breaker for me. I have no use for the 3rd row seats, but they are quite a project to remove from the GX, a simple task in the LX/LC. I wouldn't be able to open that rear door if the truck was in my garage, without putting the garage door up, it's too long.

Each person has different needs/tolerances, which is what I was trying to say.

I have no use for a third row either but the GX comes with it. I plan to remove mine in favor of a plate system next year but the space won't be a game changer, more or less the use of the plate system is what I am after and to drop the 100lbs in weight. We bought a LX570 two-row for this very reason, they are hard to find but we weren't going to pay more for the jump seats only to remove them and then have the odd spots in the floor where the mounts once were.

I rarely park the GX in the garage so being able to open the rear door inside of the garage isn't a concern, but the majority of garages are too shallow for that as it is. I know most regard to split gate on the LC/LX to be the holy grail but I actually prefer the standard lift gate with roll down rear window of the 4Runner. Being able to sit on the tail gate is a nice option but I rarely do so.

They both have their merits, it really just depends on what your needs are and of course budget plays a role, especially if buying new. It sounds like the OP really likes the LX and is trying to be convinced that it is the right vehicle for him so there's a slight bias in all of this. It very well may be the better choice for his needs but not the particular one he's looking at.

Get the LX 570 find one between 50,000 and 100,000 miles spend a little more money. But I still wouldn’t worry about failure it’ll just cost you a little more to keep it on the road.

Last edited:
For family and daily driving, I am not trying to be rude, get Sienna or similar mini van. Great for gas mileage (you will thank me when you really daily driving) and spacious for kids and anything you want to bring with you.
I have LX570, GX460, and Sienna. I drove Sienna most often.

Just my humble opinion.

For family and daily driving, I am not trying to be rude, get Sienna or similar mini van. Great for gas mileage (you will thank me when you really daily driving) and spacious for kids and anything you want to bring with you.
I have LX570, GX460, and Sienna. I drove Sienna most often.

Just my humble opinion.
??? The guy narrowed it down to two vehicles LX or GX did not ask about a minivan no “guy” wants to drive a minivan 🤣

The 200 series is built to survive 25 years of use in a Third World country the 180 thousand miles is’nt a problem if you have to replace a water pump the starter a radiator that’s just part of doing business the LX will last as long as you want to drive it. Sounds like you found one that was well-maintained and taken care of and from Texas so it shouldn’t have any rust which is the main problem for any vehicle

Some years of the RX have a lot of problems. Well worth double checking.

I also had a 2020 RX loaner for a week or so earlier this year and wasn't impressed. My '14 LX was much more comfortable, roomier, and more powerful. The pre-loaded brakes felt great in the RX, and the mileage was better, but outside of those details, I couldn't wait to get back into my LX.

OP - focus on the LX, and keep looking for a lower mileage, better deal. It'll come.

as a minivan and suv owner there is definitely an age range (0 to 8) where the minivan is the best choice for a family. No SUV can compare for this use case. Don’t care what it looks like as long as the stereo bumps and it’s safe for me and mine.
when the kids are older and the car seats are fewer the suv makes sense to get out and about.

as a minivan and suv owner there is definitely an age range (0 to 8) where the minivan is the best choice for a family. No SUV can compare for this use case. Don’t care what it looks like as long as the stereo bumps and it’s safe for me and mine.
when the kids are older and the car seats are fewer the suv makes sense to get out and about.
I could never bring myself to do the minivan thing. I know they're practical, and some are pretty awesome (friend has had several top of the line Siennas) but something about them feels like a succumbing to something that doesn't resonate with me. All in meant jest, but long ago, when I first got married, I told my wife if we ever had to get a minivan, to please shoot me. My compromise vehicles were Ford F-250 crew cabs with fiberglass caps - more rear seat square footage than some city apartments have, plenty of cargo hauling space for the inevitable kid gear, and lots of flat places to change diapers. The 200 seems like it would make a decent family hauler, if one wasn't ready for the minivan step.

ps. My kids are long past that stage, so I may be forgetting something.

Last edited:
Here is my report, I have both in the fleet LX570/GX460. Myself and the wife have seat time in both.

2016 GX460 CPO = 32k odo / $36000
2008 LX570 = 108k odo / $21000

BLUF: The GX would definitely be the smarter buy for a small family that needs quality, reliable transpo given your budget and intended use.

Ok, like many have said they are very different vehicles. The 460 is amazing, and as you know is built to a very high quality standard. It is comfortable, it is slightly smaller and more nimble in a city environment than the 570. The GX is very comfortable, of course the bigger LX is slightly better in this area. They both have "outdated tech", but really I think people buy these for longevity, not tech. The 570 puts out almost 400 HP and merging on the freeway is an absolute joy even in this large vehicle, the GX at 300hp is a little low on scoot for the size/weight. My wife can maneuver/drive/park the LX just fine, and comments that it feels very similar to the GX while you're driving it, despite being much larger. The aft door, this is purely preference and IMO should not be a deciding factor on a vehicle purchase. Also, mini-vans are stupid, we're on ih8mud.

when I first got married, I told my wife if we ever had to get a minivan, to please shoot me

On this end, my wife told me she'll shoot me if I ever suggest a minivan. If it ever comes down to owning a van, it'll be full sized, 4x4, lifted, regeared, locked, and on at least 35s before it ever sets foot in my driveway. We have a family agreement on that.

Nothing screams "my life is over" quite like a minivan. And all of my minivan-owning friends are prime examples of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom