Planning a Run Across the C-Gap (Tucson) on 26 Dec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple of buddies and I are planning a trip over the Charelaeu (sp) Gap on 26 December.

We will probably shoot to get on the trail about 0830 or so....

Not sure if we will go in from Oracle (our typical route) or run it from Catalina.

If anyone wants to join us, post up here.

Hope to see you -

Chuck

A couple of buddies and I are planning a trip over the Charelaeu (sp) Gap on 26 December.

Not sure if we will go in from Oracle (our typical route) or run it from Catalina.

Hope to see you -

Chuck

I could be down I will be getting off work at 0730 but could head over afterwards

Hope to see you -

Chuck

Hey Chuck I have not seen a report on the Gap for a long time, last I heard it was graded:frown: What is the trail condition these days? Will 4WD be needed?

We don't know either - I haven't been up there in a while. I heard they took a jackhammer to the big rock on the Catalina side, so that has been "smoothed out".

We will follow up with a report...

Will keep everybody posted on our plans...

Chuck

I've been up there about 6 months ago the rains have washed it out pretty good on both sides. I'll post some pics.

The climb up or down from the west side of the actual "Gap" is pretty hairy in spots. I pulled a 3-foot wheel lift in the 100 going down when I sid into a rut. I'm bummed that many of the optional lines on the Catalina side are gone.

The climb up or down from the west side of the actual "Gap" is pretty hairy in spots. I pulled a 3-foot wheel lift in the 100 going down when I sid into a rut. I'm bummed that many of the optional lines on the Catalina side are gone.
:meh: Lifting wheels is what 100's do best...

wheel lift.jpg

re_guderian said:
:meh: Lifting wheels is what 100's do best...

Only when a talented 15 yr old is driving. ;)

Hey Chuck I have not seen a report on the Gap for a long time, last I heard it was graded:frown: What is the trail condition these days? Will 4WD be needed?

It was graded a while ago on the Catalina side. the big rock that was referred to as kiss rock going up the Catalina side was completely smoothed out. Pretty much all the rocks on the way up the Catalina side were taken out. As rockjock said it is starting to wash out again , although its not any where near as rough as it was. However a lot of the trail is down in the wash with big boulders and none of that has been touched. Plus there are some optional lines to make it tougher if you like , such as the step.

Sounds like you drive like your dad:rolleyes:

Should be no problem in an 80 then;)

Is there a meeting time and place set up yet?

I think the meet spot should be Jerry Bob's in Catalina for breakfast, say 5:30am? That way I can partake before heading off to work.

One of my brother in laws was up in the area a few days ago. He says that the "Kiss Rock" area is back to being pretty rough. His passengers in a 4 seat side by side were pretty intimidated.

X2 on time and meet up spot.

If a stock hundy can do it...

I was there just last weekend. Came in from Catalina (Had the best Greek food ever in a small strip mall there...fantastic!)

It was a first for me, so I'm not familiar with the names of the obstacles you are talking about, but it's wasn't a walk in the park by any means. (in the rain and snow @ night however) It's no Bulldog Canyon...lots of boulders still, esp. down in the stretches near the river crossings, some tight turning climbing obstacles, off cambers and ruts. Plus some optionals for you geterdun folks. Water is super low from what the others were saying, not over your tires.

We camped half way in and came out next afternoon. The Catalina side was definitely the hairier of the two, only one major hill climb on the Oracle side that was "tough" The group I was with commented that it had changed a lot since last year.

I'd recommend sliders, lift and a locker at least if you're planning on doing it all yourself. I was in an open 100 with larger tires and some WAAG :rolleyes: step sliders that saved my bacon a few times and had to pick lines carefully and make a number of runs at things. Even took a tug from my Rubicon friend :doh::ban::censor: a couple times when it just wasn't worth continuing to try at it in my current setup.

:banana::banana::banana:

Phil...your 80 is more than fine. ;)

I think the meet spot should be Jerry Bob's in Catalina for breakfast, say 5:30am? That way I can partake in intros and say have fun before heading off to work.
;)

^^^Edited for clarification..

y'alls have fun :cheers:

Sorry, John - we would love to accomidate you, but (number one, none of us are die-hards like you, we are more like lazy slugs)......

I am picking up a friend of my daughters at 0800, so our plan was to meet at the Circle K in Oracle at about 0845, and hopefully pull out from there at about 0900 AM.

We will go from the Oracle entrance, and go N-S and end up in Catalina.

The greek food after the trip sounds good. Anyone know the name of the restaraunt?

This should be a link to where we plan to meet from MapQuest.....

http://mapq.st/V3AcPs

See you there!

Chuck / Rocky

Awesome! I'm definitely going to try and make it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom