Pinion flange (rear) making metallic noise. (1 Viewer)

Hi All
Was hearing a metallic noise coming from under vehicle. Disconnected the rear driveshaft to start troubleshooting. Noticed the pinion flange was wonky - see video below. Maybe instead of 'wonky' I should be more specific. It appears as if side of the flange that is, I think, supposed to be tight up against the 3rd member is spinning freely. This is causing a rattle when I drive as the shaft/spline spins and the loose metal flange also spins freely. It does not make any other noise, so no whining, no grinding, etc. Just the metallic clinking of the loose flange bit.

There is no real play in the pinion bearing...though there is a little leak that I will fix.

Not sure what is happening here. Hoping not to have to replace / rebuild diff...

Is my pinion bearing shot? Is my diff ruined? Could this be somehow caused by insufficient grease in the slip yoke?

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi All

After some searching, this part moving around is just the dust cover of the companion flange (I think). Is a loose dust cover something to worry about if there is no play in the pinion flange / bearing? Or is a loose dust cover indicative of a larger problem? Or can I just somehow affix the cover or replace it?

thanks

st

I believe the dust cover is pressed onto the flange. You might do well to remove the flange, buy a dust cover, and install it. Your old dust cover might still fit on the flange, but prying it back on their with the flange installed will be difficult or impossible. You could also cut off the current dust cover and leave it off. But, it's there for a reason.... so replacing it is best.

When you remove the pinion nut, pay attention to the pinion nut tightness and retorque it to the exact same location where it started (same # of threads sticking out, location of stake on the nut, etc. You don't want to change the preload on that nut while doing this service. Also, check your axle vent (pry off the cap) and be sure the rubber disk is dry and not welded to the stub on the axle, or attach a 3/8" fuel line to the stub and run it up high. This will prevent pressure in the axle and future leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom