1988 FJ62 rear diff 3rd member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear differential has been making alot of noise and I finally got it checked out.

My mechanic says I need a new 3rd member, he said don't get a rebuilt.

Problem is i'm having a hell of time tracking down an OEM. Help?

Yeah unless he specifically says why, that's weird. You could rebuild it yourself, lots of videos out there, just order the parts. I imagine a nice clean replacement third isnt going to be too cheap.

I just called a shop to ask about getting my front rebuilt and they quoted 7 or 800 plus parts. But I think I'll just do it myself.

"My mechanic says I need a new 3rd member"

An awful lot of "Mechanics" are more accurately described as parts changers.

Just saying...

Mark...

Problem is i'm having a hell of time tracking down an OEM. Help?

try posting in the classifieds here on mud

a good used unit should be available close by

did he find chunks in the oil?

@grizfj62 I know of a used one in East TN if you decide to swap one in.

Don’t know where you are located.

HTH

If you drove it there and it’s not catastrophically damaged and leaking, without seeing it, I’d bet it’s rebuildable. That’s the whole point of Toyota. Gears, gaskets, and bearings are what’s in it.

If the mech can’t rebuild it he shouldn’t be touching the truck probably.

X2…

My opinion would be, if you don’t want to rebuild it yourself, find a good cruiser shop in your area or region, and you’ll be in much better hands than someone that doesn’t have the competency or patience to take it on.

Cruiser outfitters sells perfectly good rebuilt units for around 600-700 bucks last I checked. They ship in five gallon buckets. Just pull the old one and swap the new one in. Send the old one back to them for a core charge refund. Easy project to do in an afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom