Pics of my Mahogany Console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last summer my brother-in-law had some mahogany laying around that he couldn't use, and I had a busted center console...and a whole lot of time on my hands. This is the fruit of my labor. Several months after these pics I took it all apart, clamped, glued, sunk the screws and lacquered it. Its big enough to actually rest my arm on, hold a few different large water bottles at a time, and any other randomness I need to stow. I wish I had enough skill, and foresight, to have built it with a lock.
Hope you enjoy.

P.S. This was my first woodworking project.
_MG_7832.jpg
_MG_7833.jpg

Now put about 10 coats of Watco Danish Oil on it. It will be amazing.

x1000

nice work, it will look awsome after you oil it. please post up some pics if you do....

i am sure you can still figure out some way to integrate a lock...

Edit-

just actually read all of the text. post us up some pics of the finished product please....i'd love to see how the color turned out.

swamp60

Last edited:
Love to post some finished pics up when I get a chance, but I won't be home around it for another month or so, but the finish really brought out the wood grain. It also isn't bolted down, I thought that would be the easy part, but trying to line it up with the hole is tougher than expected. Surprisingly it doesn't move around much.

Cool-

you could probably fix a latch on the bottom side of the lid, and have some type of key/lock cylinder mechanism that comes in from the front right corner on the side panel (pass side) or from the vertical panel on the front to secure the lid and not affect the astetics of the wood on top, where it looks like you spent a good deal of time on the work....

swamp60

... It also isn't bolted down, I thought that would be the easy part, but trying to line it up with the hole is tougher than expected. Surprisingly it doesn't move around much.

Mighty Putty!!!!

i kid.

swamp60

would you be willing to share the blueprints? :)

danish oil is really pretty, but remember not to wad up the towels as they can spontaneously combust as so can other oils and finishes.

nice work, but me personally i hate seeing wood in cruisers.....

edit: i am referring to the console

Last edited:
right on!

Thanks for all the good comments guys, its always encouraging.

Rob Faucett- I'll be checking out that link to the different locks when I get a chance. Finding the right lock will make things quite a bit easier.

CruiserGuy- There aren't any blueprints, there should have been. The original was actually made out of cardboard for templates. However, in a month or so I could possibly measure everything out and make some minor needed adjustments to the design. Do you have a 60 or 62? A 60 might be easier to work with since it doesn't have the rear heater between the front seats, but my design is for the 62.

Looks great for being a rookie in wood work.

Thanks for all the good comments guys, its always encouraging.

Rob Faucett- I'll be checking out that link to the different locks when I get a chance. Finding the right lock will make things quite a bit easier.

CruiserGuy- There aren't any blueprints, there should have been. The original was actually made out of cardboard for templates. However, in a month or so I could possibly measure everything out and make some minor needed adjustments to the design. Do you have a 60 or 62? A 60 might be easier to work with since it doesn't have the rear heater between the front seats, but my design is for the 62.
I have a 60. I love the design of the whole console! is it tall enough to give it a nice arm rest? I am sick of driving with my arm in my lap! haha

nice... now go toss that worthless haynes manual in the trash and download some of the factory manuals...

I have a 60. I love the design of the whole console! is it tall enough to give it a nice arm rest? I am sick of driving with my arm in my lap! haha

That's mostly why I thew the old one away, not the only, but the old one was almost completely worthless. It's a perfect height and the fact that it can hold tons of stuff.

nice... now go toss that worthless haynes manual in the trash and download some of the factory manuals...

You're right about that. The biggest help I've gotten was from you guys through MUD. However, 2 copies came came with it, and on a couple of occasions its come in handy and given some needed help when in a tight spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom