pics of FJ60 axles under a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!

I will be getting a set of FJ62 axles shortly and am not sure if it is worth the hassle to put them under my FJ40 SOA or to just use FJ40 axles with 2.5 BS wheels.
I am specificly interested in pictures of what ppl have done for mounts..i am deffinitly willing to cut the housing as needed i would just like to see what others have done and how bad it looks/functions/raises the spring perches ect. This would be your typical SOA using FJ40 fronts and FJ55 rears.

I am also considering inboarding the rear springs under the frame and pushing the rear shackle hanger back all the way to the rear cross member to get more flex...only problem i can see is if i get a Toybox and shorten up the rear driveline to much it may not have enough slip for all that flex? yes? no?
I am thinking this will push my rear axle out a good 3.5-?? inches depending on were i end up locating the rear shackle hangers...hopefully as far back as i can...basicly have my breakover angle be the spring/shackle. I think this will help with the Toybox install also because it will push the axle back even more than just flipping springs/55rears ect.

Man i can't wait to start this project...hopefully around thanksgiving time i will start and get a bunch load done before christmas and then take 2 weeks at christmas and finish it up.

Stew

yeah i checked out PBB after i posted here and did a search so i wouldn't be called a newbie :flipoff2: :flipoff2: hehe Basicly everything i have seen save one looked kind of hacked a bit..i don't like the idea of welding on the bolts for the springs...the one i saw i liked used two bolts on the inside through a mounting plate welded to the diff. It was pretty clean..the other one that wasn't to bad offset the axle a 1/2in to the drivers side so that the spring perch sat a bit lower. I think that i am going to use the FJ62 axles under my cruiser..why not if i got them...though i do have 3 cruiser axle housing sets..anyone want a new one?? bueller?

Stew

if you dont like that why dont you out board them ? do a shackle rev at the same time and make the frt an "crossmember" across the frt and out boarded shackle hangers in the rear . and if your given away 62 axles i'll take a set ::)

??? Where did you get a set of 62 axles Stew? :flipoff2: What else you got in your closet?!
Lane :beer:

kling-on
Don't really want to outborad the springs either...reason is that it will give you less flex...ie if you could pivot your axle directly in the center it would give you max up and down...I am going to use the 62 axles and look into making a decent mount for the shortside front and just not do a hack job(hahah) This will make it nice and tippy/flexy! probably have to go with 9012s to keep it from rolling like mad on the road or maybe a rear sway bar...hmmm

green40
I am getting the FJ62 axles from Mike Fox, He was gonna sell them to the Johnathon R(kid with the VERY clean 60 at the FG) for just the 4.11 diffs so i struck a deal with John, I buy the axles, pull the diffs and sell them to him for 100 less than mike wanted for them and i keep the rest...so basicly i am going to have some FJ62 axles for 100 bucks with good brakes and everything(i hope) and i am thinkin of seein if john wants to give me his 3.73 diffs so i can regear (4.88?) and put my new ARB's in that i got a screamin deal on ::) ::) 8) :D Will have to see about the last part with the diffs...if not i have 3 course spline diffs to work with...hehehe and i got more stuff ...i want my yard to look like Kina's when i grow up... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Stew :D :D

:D Stew, your a sick puppy man :flipoff2:
Lane :beer:

hey, thanks for the kind words kling-on !!! :D
this is on a SUA setup, but I see no reason why the cap thing wouldnt work on SOA. If I was to do it again (wait... well actually I will :eek: ) I would build the caps with some thick tube welded on some plate, that whole steel plate construction was a PITA and is a bit overkill... especially for a SOA where the ubolts have much less stress on them...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom