picked up a Sept 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was probably my last "find" the days of barn finds are pretty much over. But if it was the last...I am glad there was one more out there for my buddy.

Its nice to see 40's bringing good money, I like that, but its also sad to see them climb out of reach of many who would truly have the passion for one, but can't drop 10K+++++ on one.

Got a key cut today at Titus Will...which is probably the last key my most excellent parts guy and friend Al Mathison (who found this 40, my fj60 and our stolen 62) will be making, he retires on Sept 2ND after 26 years there, I have been a customer of his all those years. I am kinda freaking out...I have always had access to the best (maybe 2nd best if Dan or Onur is reading this) parts guy in the US. it feels like the end of an era but maybe its the beginning of a new one?.....:)

I made the comment to my father in law a couple years ago about buying some parts and how it was an harder to find nla item. He had restored a mustang with his son a few years ago. His comment was there will always be more barn finds and parts found in the back of warehouses. The more time I spend in the cruiser world the more I believe that. It might not be a barn but a garage or what have you. I was driving around house shopping last year and a house that didnt really stand out from the others had a garage door open. It was one of those corvettes from the 50's or 60's that sell for 6 figures just sitting there. I had to turn the car around. I also saw about 20 VW buses sitting in people driveways or garages those few months to, people like cool stuff like cruisers and classic cars ..... anyway cool find and I cant wait to read more on it from your posts

Jerrod came over last night, we dumped the old gas out of tank, put 2 gallons in, a tiny bit in carb....and the darn thing fired up and sounded wonderfull took it for a run around the block....she runs amazing. All but 1 marker light works, all gauges, trany and clutch feel great, no odd noises, no odd leaks (besides the some normal wet spots)

Next up is a full baseline, new brakes, hoses and that kinda thing and a major cleaning.

Jerrod has never seen something come to life that easy after years of sitting, he had this dumbfounded look on his face, like "how can this be possible"

Wish I would have takin a video of it...

Guess I've driven FJ40s too long, would be surprised if one didn't start up. Expect possible carb rebuild and brake wheel cylinders but live in the desert where rubber parts dry up. But would expect it to start and run.

I did was well, but for a 25 year old it was a real shocker, but as I told him its yet another reason why we love this things. I told him of stories of guys on Mud that bought their 40's new and still had them.....thats pretty much unheard of with any other make or model of car/truck.

Guess I've driven FJ40s too long, would be surprised if one didn't start up. Expect possible carb rebuild and brake wheel cylinders but live in the desert where rubber parts dry up. But would expect it to start and run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom