Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some progress...
61774405101__10309C2C-4E21-4363-9869-010BA9825531.jpeg

Sliders are back from powder. That's about it for the last couple weeks. Turns out, when you have Covid-19 no one wants to hang out with you. ;)

I'm 9 days into my post-positive test quarantine. I am free as of tomorrow. Fortunately, I had a very mild bout - a couple days with what could be best described as a "touch of the flu."

Hoping to get this thing over the finish line in August!

So wait, you didn't really get sick and you didn't die?!??!?!?!?!?
Come on @gnob! How am I going to get any sympathy if you go and get all specific?!

Any updates on this rig Manhattan?

Any updates on this rig Manhattan?

Absolutely nothing. Wait, that's not true. I put new lock pulls on. ;)

Dugan, at ACC Garage, is the master fabricator on this. We've both been slammed. He's wrapping up the build on VIN 0000001 - the first of his new venture: HighGround Expedition Campers. We'll be back on Patty (that sounds horrible) in a couple weeks.

119062376_3576286749049778_4594411059242793013_o.jpg
IMG_0915.jpeg

... and we're back. Dugan took a break from traveling the country with the HighGround Camper and did some fab fab work on Patty.

A while back, I hand-drew the sides for the bed. Dugan transferred my templates to files and cut the sides today. Next up is some welding and cutting the deck! I'm pretty stoked to get back on this project.

Passenger side:
IMG_1272.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m curious to see what you end up with for the bed. I’ve seen some beautiful ones, and some horror shows. I’m plotting an eventual deck project for my 3500 Cummins truck, but that’s a little way down the road yet.

I'm certain it'll be one of the beautiful ones... but then, no one ever set out to create the horror show. I do think it's going to come together and actually look like what's in my head. It's been funny to see the comments on this thread go quiet... I can almost hear the "WTF is he doing? It was looking like such a clean restoration... and now a flatbed?" I get it. But, I have a plan... and a backup plan.

Overall, this has been fun designing and building some really from scratch - like, actually drawing panels and then seeing them go to CAD then metal then on the truck. When we're done, if the end result isn't all I thought it'd be, I'll call the guy at the body shop and say "Hey Tony, pull the bed off the shelf and let's make'er pretty"

Got to play in the shop for a while yesterday - did some bending, grinding, welding, more grinding...

All the panels were drawn, transferred to cardboard as prototypes, transferred to CAD files, cut on a plasma table... then bent as needed. The bed has 7 side panels - well, three sides and one rear. We decided to fab the sides that run parallel to the cab - not the "boat tail" sections - in two sections and weld/grind the seam. That allowed us to really match the corners.

At one point, the front sections were going to be curved similar to the cab. But the more we looked at the cardboard on the truck, we decided two shallow bends that matched the cab's body lines would make a cool transition to the more angular bed.

Gettin' bendy:
IMG_9327.jpeg

This gives a better idea of the overall shape of the bed.
There will be a tube and receiver hitch under the license plate - tied to the bumper and frame/reinforced crossmember.
IMG_9329.jpeg

The frame and sides are done. Well, we may add either some flat bar or rod to the wheel openings to sort of trim them out. The deck is drawn and will be cut on the table this week - with cutouts for the spare tire well, gas filler, tie-down holes/hooks, etc. Then, the deck plate and frame will be media blasted and powder coated to match the body/wheels.

The rear wheel openings were drawn to match the front wheel openings - the radius, etc.
IMG_9331.jpeg

This one shows those new body lines - the bends just about mimic the cab's lines.
With some shiny creme powder, they should really show up well.
IMG_9337.jpeg

Next up (after the deck) is the headache rack. This will be a simple tube bent to follow the profile of the cab - up and round the rear window.
Then, sides - these will be (probably) the height of the bottom of the Xtra-Cab window. The sides will be hinged to fold 180 degrees and slide off. Still in the sketch stage on these.

Once ALL of that is in place, I'm going assess how tall Patty is and consider swapping springs. She's a bit tall right now - especially in the back. The new flatbed should weigh about the same as a factory bed. Hoping that weight solves a few problems - stance, ride, and traction.

That's the plan!

Last edited:
That is looking REALLY good.

Scha-wing! Looks fantastic. Are you going to run the bed sides around the diagonals and have a “gate” on the back or just straight along the sides? I’m sure I mentioned the Ute brand alloy decks in the past, and I’m very curious on cost difference once yours is done and powder coated. They are apples and oranges of course, but I’m still curious.

As a sidebar on decks, I like the one Blakeape built for his Dodge (pic below), and the storage boxes he put underneath. I would do tool boxes along the sides on top of the deck too as it would be perfect gear storage when my camper is on, and keep the clutter out of the rear floor of the cab in my 3500. Still love the Ute bed though too...

F5F2DFB1-2EAA-418E-B520-C9114CF7136F.jpeg

6E979436-68CF-4461-87AB-BA50503C4AE6.jpeg

Thanks guys! @joseywales - I did see those when researching (hours of trayback/flatbed googling) - and like both of them. I went back and forth on going full-on utility, i.e. side boxes, drawers, etc. Decided to stay simple (and light) for now. I do anticipate using boxes/bins/coolers on the flatbed - both strapped and bolted.

The plan for the fold-down/removable sides is to go the full permitter - five sections, all hinged and connected to each other. I'm seeing the biggest challenge with this plan: rattling sides! So, that'll be the focus as we plot and plan.

[QUOTE
The frame and sides are done. Well, we may add either some flat bar or rod to the wheel openings to sort of trim them out.
[/QUOTE]

Currie's split a brake line tubing lengthwise to fit the fender cut edge on one of their projects once. Looked real nice. Just an idea for you.

❓

Nothin. Been slammed with work. Almost did the exhaust last week... had to cancel - meetings.

Test fitting the deck - the passenger side half of the deck. The "sketch to program to plasma table to truck" NAILED it. Literally fit within 1/32" all around - where it counted. One short section is 1/4" too long (way better than too short) and will be cut off with a sheer. This was the only piece we sweated 4x8 sheets of 1/8" is spendy! The cutouts were sized for standard rubberized ratchet strap hooks.
Next up:
- Cut the driver side - a mirror of this one except for the spare tire well
- Build the receiver hitch and frame tie-in
- Powder coating
- Headache rack
- Fold-down sides

IMG_9956.jpeg

Last edited:
Both sides now cut. Really (!) hoping to get over there next weekend and get some work done on this thing.

IMG_3418.jpeg

Also checked in on the bed... yep, still there ;)
IMG_0060.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom