Builds Picked up a Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picture1 12.24.22 PM.png

For not changing colors, these guys seem to go all out - everything was removed - trim, glass, grille, hood... Is that normal?

Can't wait to ditch those %*#@ing wheels ;)

I’d say on average, it’s not “normal”, but it will yield better than average results. If you don’t have a tight budget, it’s definitely the proper way to paint.

If you just mask all that stuff, it’s much harder to properly prepare the surfaces for paint, and you often end up with paint lifting along the edges.

Did they give you a timeline for completion? They’ve had it quite a while now, no?

Those wheels are highly coveted. Be sure they get to a good home.

I just looked back... August 5 was your “green light” day. That’s a loooong time unless they are giving you a really good price!

For not changing colors, these guys seem to go all out - everything was removed - trim, glass, grille, hood... Is that normal?

Can't wait to ditch those %*#@ing wheels ;)

Are those 16" wheels?

If so I will gladly take them if I can figure out how to get them here...

Stock 15" but NLA from Toyota. Were it my truck, I'd have them blasted and powder coated and rock them with 33x10.50s.

Don't get me wrong - I love steel wheels. Even have them on my 100 Series. But the ones on this old truck are toast - the rust is deep (!) into the welds. It looks like a biscuit, e.g. layers of flakey rust. The original plan was to blast and paint these. But I really don't think they're safe. I'm replacing them with O.E. Toyota steel wheels. I'll get/post some close-up pics of the wheels later this week. Some are worse than others... maybe a few can be salvaged.

And yeah - the truck's been at the bodyshop a long time. I think it was dropped off August 12th. So, we're at 3.5 months. The price is good and I don't need the truck, so I can't complain too much.

I am hoping to really speed things now though.

I'm replacing them with O.E. Toyota steel wheels.

I am hoping to really speed things now though.

The wheels you posted earlier in the thread are era correct for your truck as well, and frankly my favorite OEM wheel from Toyota. I even sprayed a set aluminum color and ran them on one of my Airstreams.

We also hope the pace picks up. This is going to be cool to see complete!

The wheels you posted earlier in the thread are era correct for your truck as well, and frankly my favorite OEM wheel from Toyota.

I still like those wheels... a lot. But, I went a different route. I ordered five FJ40 wheels and hubcaps - the wheels will be media blasted and powder coated Antique White. I know, I know '84 Pickups never got those wheels. But (work with me here), the FJ40 WAS sold in N. America in 1984 (Canada) so, they're period correct... technically ;)

I just love those wheels and hubcaps with 33s.

We got BJ42s in 1984 here in the land of the Arctic Peso!:flipoff2:

Wish you were closer, I’d take those other ones off your hands.

Yeah... I doubt they're worth the shipping cost.

The truck is about to head over to ACC Garage. The bodyshop knocked it out of the park. Tony - the owner - said "You've been so patient so look here... " and walked me around the truck showing me what they did. This was before the fenders went on. Stuff that was NOT on the "work order":
- Pulled the strikers, cleaned up and reshot the jambs
- Redid the seam sealer under the hood and behind the fenders - and painted
- Painted the underside of the hood and cowl
- Cleaned up the frame, steering and suspension under the cab and painted everything
- Cleaned up and reshot the mirrors
- and a handful of things I'm forgetting.

So... if you're anywhere near Atlanta (and patient), I got a bodyshop for you.

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good!! But cmon, can't we get some bigger pictures to drool over?? :flipoff2:

Ha! I almost always reduce pics before posting - no real reason...

The tires should be here tomorrow, The new wheels should be here today, they'll be (test fitted then) media blasted and powdered...

Hoping to post a few pics next week with the wheels and tires on.

Last edited:
Having the truck back at ACC feels like it's back home. Now we can play!

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t remember what you have planned for the flat bed. Looking at the pics, it’s almost a shame not to put an OEM bed and gate on it.

I have always thought @Box Rocket has the A#1 tray-back on his (son’s) Toyota truck, which I know you are aware of as you’ve posted in his thread...no matter, you have a beautiful truck and you are doing things over-the-top “right”!
EC83FF18-D78B-4866-B12C-BB7CB3EA9D2B.jpeg

Thanks @G-Cat

Yeah, @Box Rocket has one badass little truck. As similar (not really) as the trucks are, I have a hard time comparing them - that blue truck just looks like a 1:1 scale toy! It's just so well-done.

I wouldn't be surprised if the truck ends up with a regular bed. I'm keeping my eye out for a donor. It came up with the bodyshop yesterday - "... might be back with a bed to shoot". But I really do like the idea of a well-done "tray-back."

Next week, we're going to rebuild the flatbed - narrow, notch, shorten (slightly), build a spare mount (off-set behind the driver)... and maybe add some more 2" box to sort of shape the bed a bit - like, pull the lines down, e.g. box in the tail/brake lights and license plate... I have some sketches that may be working better on paper than steel ;)

Decking will likely be stained, kiln-dried PT pine. It looks really nice, but it's still cheap (compared to anything hard/exotic), so if I want to drill, cut, spill, scratch, I'm not going to sweat it.

Who knows, I may do all this, step back and say "Yep. Looks like $*#&, gotta find a proper bed" ;) But I do love the building, rebuilding part too.

Being a big fan of your 100, I'm excited to see your result. No pictures of your truck's rear-end in this thread...my only input would be to consider stock, OEM FJ-40 Series taillights. Their shape and OEM-ness always looks better (to me) than the round Jeep-style units.
*Edit: I have no idea why all of the above is in Bold type.

Being a big fan of your 100, I'm excited to see your result. No pictures of your truck's rear-end in this thread...my only input would be to consider stock, OEM FJ-40 Series taillights. Their shape and OEM-ness always looks better (to me) than the round Jeep-style units.
*Edit: I have no idea why all of the above is in Bold type.
Because that was a damn good idea ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom