Phx visit advice/help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My family and I are taking a trip to Phoenix this weekend and I wanted to get some advice as I've never really explored AZ. We are staying in downtown phx but I'll have all day Sunday to make a day trip and see the best AZ has to offer. I have a stock 06 lc with just ko2s so no crazy trails (plus I'm a rookie) and I'm looking for a view/interesting spots (mines, lakes, rivers, rocks, etc) that the whole family would appreciate. Need to not break down as I have a 7 hour drive back Monday lol.

Also bonus points for anyone that can point me to an originalish, affordable, m416 trailer (or variant) in the southern AZ, NM area that I can tow back home 😁

Thanks guys!

apache trail for scenery
is it open? I thought it got washed out?

Fellow El Paso Native here....
I always take my noobie friend out to Rolls OHV.... lots of fun things to check out, obstacles to try, and you can snake your way down to saguaro lake for lunch by the water.

Cave Creek Road out to Sheeps Bridge is cool. I did it a few weeks ago and a stock truck would have had no issues.

Jim

Last edited:
Open to hill / look out. That's alot of classic desert scenery.

I am partial to the Crown King trip Northwest of town. I don't recomend the back road based upon the OP. Easy trec through some of our deserts to the pines. Take I-17 to the Bumble Bee exit through Cleator up to the town. Old mining town, with a lot of history. Good book on the history of the Bradshaw Mountains for sale at the General Store and must get fudge if you go. The Mill restaurant, if it is open, is a must do. From there you might be able to take the Senator Highway to Prescott. The worst part of the trail is very close to Crown King and has not been bad but have not been on the Hwy for a couple of years. A stock 4x4 can make that stretch and from there on it is easy going.

If you want to stick to the blacktop the best route I know of is NW of town again. Visit Wickenburg, the Vulture mine (which is open to visitors with quite a bit to look at) then head up to Prescott (stop at Granite Dells and Willow Lake for great pics) through Yarnell (See the movie Only the Brave) and then on to Jerome (a large "ghost" town and mine), up to Sedona (an absolute must see!, run Broken Arrow, only about an hour to and back) and then back down I-17 to Phoenix. That is a long day but, it will show some of the best, if not the best, scenery the state has to offer. (Non-stop route is about 7 hours). This is the trip I take friends and family on when they want to see a slice of the state. If they insist on the Grand Canyon, I will make it a two day trip and take them to the North Rim in Summer.

You can spend a lifetime visiting the state and not see it all. The White Mountains, Flagstaff area, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Tucson, Tombstone, SE AZ etc.

1617304755927.png

1617304975413.png
1617305182507.png

Last edited:
I am partial to the Crown King trip Northwest of town. I don't recomend the back road based upon the OP. Easy trec through some of our deserts to the pines. Take I-17 to the Bumble Bee exit through Cleator up to the town. Old mining town, with a lot of history. Good book on the history of the Bradshaw Mountains for sale at the General Store and must get fudge if you go. The Mill restaurant, if it is open, is a must do. From there you might be able to take the Senator Highway to Prescott. The worst part of the trail is very close to Crown King and has not been bad but have not been on the Hwy for a couple of years. A stock 4x4 can make that stretch and from there on it is easy going.

If you want to stick to the blacktop the best route I know of is NW of town again. Visit Wickenburg, the Vulture mine (which is open to visitors with quite a bit to look at) then head up to Prescott (stop at Granite Dells and Willow Lake for great pics) through Yarnell (See the moving Only the Brave) and then on to Jerome (a large "ghost" town and mine), up to Sedona (an absolute must see!, run Broken Arrow, only about an hour to and back) and then back down I-17 to Phoenix. That is a long day but, it will show some of the best, if not the best, scenery the state has to offer. (Non-stop route is about 7 hours). This is the trip I take friends and family on when they want to see a slice of the state. If they insist on the Grand Canyon, I will make it a two day trip and take them to the North Rim in Summer.

You can spend a lifetime visiting the state and not see it all. The White Mountains, Flagstaff area, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Tucson, Tombstone, SE AZ etc.

View attachment 2632760
View attachment 2632763View attachment 2632765
Wow that seems like an awesome trip. I keep hearing Sedona but it sounds like it may be too busy to enjoy. As long as we can be back before it gets too late, this seems like a good route. I was afraid of venturing out too far as we'd spend more time driving than actually staying there. Thanks everyone! Now the trailer! 😅

What's your budget?

^^^ good luck, you and likely several others constantly scouring local outlets for a score.

Another short combo drive is up Lake Pleasant road and Castle Hot Springs and then on to Wickenburg. Awesome desert scenery and then can still hit the Vulture mine. Easy dirt road. Their website for the Hotel is here: https://www.castlehotsprings.com/ . If you are limited on time this is not a bad trip that is "off the beaten path". I don't have good pics of a lot of scenery, but it is awesome. Good trips on the east side as well however, with this one you are in Wickenburg by noon and can enjoy a sit down lunch there and still hit the vulture mine.

1617326240597.png

1617326290585.png

1617326353809.png

Another short combo drive is up Lake Pleasant road and Castle Hot Springs and then on to Wickenburg. Awesome desert scenery and then can still hit the Vulture mine. Easy dirt road. Their website for the Hotel is here: https://www.castlehotsprings.com/ . If you are limited on time this is not a bad trip that is "off the beaten path". I don't have good pics of a lot of scenery, but it is awesome. Good trips on the east side as well however, with this one you are in Wickenburg by noon and can enjoy a sit down lunch there and still hit the vulture mine.

View attachment 2632975
View attachment 2632976
View attachment 2632977
That place looks awesome. Short drives are better as I don't want to spend most of my time driving out there just to turn back around. Plus I have a 7 hour drive back the following day. Honestly broken Arrow looks a little extreme for me as I have no real experience with offroading like that.

Think it was $4500 but it included extras.

What extras? Picture showed a cover and a rack. Paid $410 for my M416. I admit took a while to find one but one must have some pretty fancy features or gold plating somewhere for that kind of money. I know it's later with a surge brake but a axle with electric brakes for not that much. Which I would prefer over a surge brake.

IMG_20190828_115125807.jpg

IMG_20190629_185732017.jpg

Last edited:
What extras? Picture showed a cover and a rack. Paid $410 for my M416. I admit took a while to find one but one must have some pretty fancy features or gold plating somewhere for that kind of money. I know it's later with a surge brake but a axle with electric brakes for not that much. Which I would prefer over a surge brake.
You know what? I don't recall, just glanced at the add and posted it. Evidently someone thought it was worth that much.
Remind me if I ever need to replace an OEM air cleaner housing to contact you first. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom