Petrol 80 water crossing precautions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are people doing before hitting a deep water crossing in there petrol 80 series to make sure it's all still ticking over at the end?
I've herd of just wd40 over anything electrical and putting a rubber kitchen glove over the dizzy with a cable tie while doing the crossing. Is that safe/enough precautions?
Cheers

Honestly, if you want to do it properly you need to go through and unplug each plug and put dielectric grease in every engine and transmission plug and as a precaution/preventative maintenance, any other plug that you might submerge. Keeps connections strong and plugs corrosion free. I personally didn't just extend my breathers, I ran new vacuum line from the rear breather to a Barbed T fitting and plumbed it to the transfer case then to another T into the transmission breathed into another T into the front diff breather and up as high as I could in the engine bay to a diff breather cap. I planned on running this to the air cleaner, but haven't got around to removing it and brazing in a barbed hose fitting. Then of course a well sealed properly installed snorkel as mentioned. As far as the dizzy goes, if there is no silt or salt in the water you should be alright. It's the silt and salt impurities that mess with the conduction. I had my dizzy cap sealed with FIPG for a while, they don't last nearly as long because the internal heat build up and cool down create internal moisture which causes corrosion and oxidization internally. A lot of caps have a rubber breather cap in the center, if your cap has that breather you can seal the dizzy with FIPG and when it comes time to cross, pull that rubber breather off and put a vacuum cap over it for the crossing. Other than that, make sure your door sills and seals are clean and that your seals are in good condition, gotta keep the water out of the cab and away from the electronics. Other than that, keep her slow and steady to create a bow wake to keep as much water as possible out of the engine compartment and away from the clutch fan. Or buy the wonder bra for the front Lol.

Tarp on the front as a blind and wd40/lanolin over dizzy/leads. Glove if you think you won't make it. As stated create a bow wave and gently mosey across keeping the bow wave going. Blow dry on the other side if you can. Also depends on how deep/fast the water is? Have some fun cheers Brian

Awesome advice.
As I'm on a budget at the moment I'll be sticking with wd40 and a glove over the dizzy for the crossing.
Cheers

if your dizzy it's going to be under water, pressurize it with an small air compressor ..

main.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom