Builds Peter's Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BHCC! You coming back this year?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433217958.647614.jpg

OK Folks. It's been 2,878 days since I've updated this thread. The dream is still alive. I got a bit side tracked. I decided that my crappy garage was not sufficient workshop in which to build this project. So, I spent 5 years building the ultimate dream workshop. I call it Xanatorium. When that was done, I decided to work on Ziplock first. Builds - Ziplock's revival - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ziplocks-revival.1194261/

But for the last 2,879 sleeps, I've drifted off dreaming of my ultimate Expo build.

Plans have changed dramatically. Having come to terms with my mortality, and realizing that I have more ambitions than lifespan, I've decided to dramatically simplify this build. I am now in posession of a 2005 Ram 2500 chassis, that will form the basis of this build.
-Frame will be the Ram frame, shortened.
-I will use the Ram driveline... 5.9 cummins, G56 manual trans, and probably upgrade to an Atlas 4 spd case.
-I will keep the factory AAM axles (9.25 front, 11.5 rear) and put lockers in them.
-I will upgrade the front 5 link suspension, and completely replace the rear leafs with 5 link air bag kit.
-Body will be that 79 series cab. Custom, auzzy inspired canopy behind that, plus a dog kennel, because I got tricked into having a dog.

I hope that by typing these words, I will commit myself to moving all this kit into the workshop space and re-starting this project in May. of this year. 2023.

In the mean time, here's a pic of the shop I built, with the extensive help of a great many people that are watching. So much gratitude for all their help. I owe you all shop space anytime you want it.

IMG_2357.jpeg

Not something I would ordinarily say, but that cruiser is blocking the view of that glorious shop!!
F'n awesome.

Love the shop Peter!! Pics of Xanatorium were worth the 2,878 day wait! :p

OK Friends, another summer has drifted by. I purged my yard of 5 Land Cruiser pojects that I was never going to get to, as well as 2 other cars. I moved the donor 2005 Ram 2500 chassis into my shop, and put on on the hoist where it is in the way of any other projet. I removed the crew cab, and 8' long box. Leaving behind a shockingly long looking canvas of frame rails to build my dream expo truck.

But first , let's re-vist the dream. For inspiration, I reached out to comission Chip Foose to do one of those 'dream' drawings of what the vehicle could look like. Turns out, I can't afford that, so I did my own artwork. This is Plan "A"

Expo truck.jpg

As you can clearly see, the plan A is now to stretch the 79 cab by enough to fit a dog, as well as some tools, a cooler, and other sundries one might want inside with you. Then some sort of deck behind that for an australian style camper, or maybe a short camper. This unit from HOME | Optimized Overlanding - https://www.optimizedoverlanding.com/ is litterally everything I've been dreaming for the 'camper'.

Gullwing Camper.jpg

But I also really like the OEV Hudson Bay camper made just up the road from me. It would be nice to support a local manufacturer. But not sure I have the budget for this. And having RV"d and Lived under the awning these past 2 summers, I prefer living under the awning vs. trying to live inside the RV space. And indoor space to stand up, get changed, and put on my socks is all I really want form my 'indoor' space. This unit from optimized overlanding delivers on that.

bvo_adventurevehicles_20220307_213218_0-1.jpg

Plan B is to NOT stretch the 79 cab, rathe build a doggy kennel behind the cab to do all the things. Something like this:
Dog Kennel.jpg

That might be easier/faster to build than stretching the 79 cab. Plus, If I ever rolled it, I can just get another 79 cab, and would not have to re-stretch another one. I dunno. Still deciding. I need to to a decision matrix to make the final plan.

Here's where I need your input: Options are:

A) Stretch the 79 cab I already have. Cons: Lots of body work. Pro's: But more leg room for seats, seats can recline, easily conidtioned space for dog, lots of indoor space for stuff.
B) Build a dog kennel behind the 79 Cab: Cons: no extra leg room/seat reclining. Need a passthrough. Pro's. Easier to build. Easier to replace the cab if it get's wrecked. I already have a 79 Cab ready to go.
C) Use a 70 Series cab. Close up the wheel wells, and put a rear panel on the back. Still lots of body work. Can't find a donor 70 series cab anywhere.
D) Shorten a 74 Cab. I found a donor 74 tub. Could shorten that. Would have to deal with the FRP top, but could possibly have a removable top, fold down windshield expo truck! <note: I will NEVER remove the top nor fold down the windshield>

What do you all think? Place your vote here:

But before I can put cab's and campers on, I have some essential drivetrain/chassis mods to attend to, even before I decide on how much I need to shorten the frame..

This donor chassis has the 5.9HO Cummins, G56 6 speed manual (the one with the 6.5:1 1st gear), and an NP271HD Transfer Case. Dodge's 5 link coil suspension up front with the AAM9.25 axle, and a all the leaf sprigns on the giant AAM11.5 rear axle. It comes with 3.7 gears. I am ditching the leaf springs for a link suspension, and doing air bag springs all around.

Of criticla importance is the wheel/tires. I already have them... Trail Ready DOT double beadlocks, with Michelin 12.50R20 XL's.
Now, I know what you're thinking. Those directional XL's are noisy on the road, and only 40" tall, and ridiculously wide at 12.5". Why not get the tantalizing 11.00R20 XZL's that are non directional, quieter, 43" tall, and 6% narrower? Well, I don't aleady own them. The 12.50's are pretty close in size, and when I wear them out, I will definately get the 11's.

So, I am on a spending spree... ARB Locker, Detroit Locker, Air bags, Trple Bypass shocks, diff shave kit and HD diff covers and link ends for the rear suspension. You should see an up tick in the economy coming soon.

Here's where I need your input: Options are:

A) Stretch the 79 cab I already have. Cons: Lots of body work. Pro's: But more leg room for seats, seats can recline, easily conidtioned space for dog, lots of indoor space for stuff.
B) Build a dog kennel behind the 79 Cab: Cons: no extra leg room/seat reclining. Need a passthrough. Pro's. Easier to build. Easier to replace the cab if it get's wrecked. I already have a 79 Cab ready to go.
C) Use a 70 Series cab. Close up the wheel wells, and put a rear panel on the back. Still lots of body work. Can't find a donor 70 series cab anywhere.
D) Shorten a 74 Cab. I found a donor 74 tub. Could shorten that. Would have to deal with the FRP top, but could possibly have a removable top, fold down windshield expo truck! <note: I will NEVER remove the top nor fold down the windshield>

What do you all think? Place your vote here:

I vote for plan A, for leg room and seat reclining (your comfort) and dog habitat (their comfort). There is no way you are gonna have that dog in an outside space, so just build the platform and enough space for a dog bed. storage underneath. maybe 2 or 3 feet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom