Pedal Commander or other throttle controller thoughts? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I just pulled the trigger too. The throttle on my Sequoia can already be kinda jumpy, so I am very curious about this, especially the reports I have read (not just here) of increased MPG. Either way, it will be a fun toy.

New owner of a '19 LC here and I can confirm, this is a very worthwhile upgrade. Ordered off of Amazon, received yesterday, and installed this afternoon. I didn't think the factory map was too bad, but it did seem like I had to really get on the throttle to get the truck to move. Now with the PC it's like a night and day difference -- the throttle response is greatly improved and just feels "right".

Another poster mentioned that this is how the truck should have come from the factory and I completely agree. I'm on Sport +3 and I think that's the sweet spot.

Oh, and install was a breeze. Unclip the pedal connector, clip up the PC in series, do a little cable routing and you're done! No trim removal or tools necessary.

If you're sitting on the fence, hop off and get to it!

After a few more days of driving my ‘18 with the Commander installed, I can say I love it. It now runs like a scalded dog - kinda like the Tundra did when it was first introduced and that 5.7 was just a beast (and scary at WOT). Granted the 4WD and weight make this not nearly as quick; it’s definitley a whole different vehicle/experience. I find that 1st is especially snappy off the line. On the down side, gas mileage is suffering 😂 and the snappy low end really reminds me of how ...marginal thie amount of power really is. I just wish it had more. But what a night and day difference!

Last edited:
After a few more days of driving my ‘18 with the Commander installed, I can say I love it. It now runs like a scalded dog - kinda like the Tundra did when it was first introduced and that 5.7 was just a beast (and scary at WOT). Granted the 4WD and weight make this not nearly as quick; it’s definitley a whole different vehicle/experience. I find that 1st is especially snappy off the line. On the down side, gas mileage is suffering 😂 and the snappy low end really reminds me of how ...marginal thie amount of power really is. I just wish it had more. But what a night and day difference!

:D

It's seemed like my '17 200 with the 8 speed always started off in the wrong gear if you were doing a rolling start... like the gear mapping was wrong. I took it in to see if they could apply the much discussed TSB and was told "it didn't need an update." Does the PC help with this or will I just see more throttle control, but still in the wrong gear?

I know EXACTLY what you’re talking about. To answer your question - Hard to say. It may make the experience worse, to be honest, in one sense. As the pedal sensitivity is increased, the transmission tends to hold the gear a bit longer. The result is that when you go and apply the gas again, the trans has not downshifted. So when you apply the gas, youre still in a lower gear at a higher RPM.
With that being said, I love it. With just some adjustment on my part, recognizing that when I apply the gas, I need to be very gentle, I much prefer the shifting now.
Now to be fair, there are 4 main settings and each of those 4 settings can be adjusted to 8 positions. See attached pic. So your results might vary. But if I were to illustrate it, it’s like driving a manual transmission and being slower to upshift, and remaining in gear a bit longer. But the big plus is that unlike the factory shifting that seems very inconsistent, the Commander results in much more uniform shifting, so that the first to second transition is much easier to anticipate and mitigate. Hopefully that makes sense. Ultimately it’s one of those things you just have to experience, as words just cannot convey it.
E493CE7F-0EDC-4719-A523-384FF8EA97AD.png

It's seemed like my '17 200 with the 8 speed always started off in the wrong gear if you were doing a rolling start... like the gear mapping was wrong. I took it in to see if they could apply the much discussed TSB and was told "it didn't need an update." Does the PC help with this or will I just see more throttle control, but still in the wrong gear?

Force them to do the update. No two ways about it. If they refuse, take to a different dealer. Mine didn't want to do it either, but I said it wasn't optional if they wanted to keep servicing the truck and then they did it. The PC will definitely help, but you want the TSB done as well.

@Chrisleduc1 Yeah I understand. Thanks for the explanation - I doubt the PC getting rave reviews if it was really bad, but I was really hoping that it would mitigate some of the poor mapping of the transmission.

@mcgaskins I still don't believe that the TSB software has been applied. Seems like it was built pretty early in '17 so I doubt it got it from the factory and there's no sticker indicating on the hood that it was done per the TSB. But I couldn't argue with them really because they said "it didn't need it per the computer." They were insistent that the software was up to date. Might I also add that they made me sit for almost 2 hours before telling me that they did nothing for the transmission. Is there any way to find out for sure if it's been done? If it's still poorly mapped for gears is that indicative of the update not being done?

You’re going to need to talk to guys who have a 16+ vehicle. Mine is an 18 and the TSB update does not apply to mine as it’s too new. Though I would’ve love to see if it made a difference. From the reviews that I have read it seems like the update addresses some slushy shifting throughout, but it sounds like it leaves some of the odd lag and hunting between first and second unresolved.

@mooneywa I had to push very, very hard to get the dealer to apply the TSB. The trouble is that it's possible that your VIN isn't associated with the TSB (mine wasn't); however, the TSB does specify "existing" and "new" calibration IDs. I was able to convince them to check my current calibration ID and to use that to justify the update.

@mooneywa I had to push very, very hard to get the dealer to apply the TSB. The trouble is that it's possible that your VIN isn't associated with the TSB (mine wasn't); however, the TSB does specify "existing" and "new" calibration IDs. I was able to convince them to check my current calibration ID and to use that to justify the update.

Do you still have odd shifting between 1st and 2nd? Especially when rolling at parking lot speed and then applying gas?

@indycole - so basically they hooked up the computer and it didn't say it needed to be done, but if they had checked the calibration ID on the ...transmission??... then it would have been available for an update? I'm getting tired of getting pushed around by these service writers and now it's starting to get into the weeds.

@Chrisleduc1 - that's exactly it. It's when I slow down mostly to go over a speed bump on a residential street. Get down to 5mph or so, go over it, and when you apply the gas it has gone to a lower gear, seems to flare the RPMs and then shifts to the right gear

Do you still have odd shifting between 1st and 2nd? Especially when rolling at parking lot speed and then applying gas?

The difference is very noticeable pre-post the TSB fix. There are still some hard shifts at times, but I have to attribute some drivability issues to the weight of the vehicle. I don't notice the odd shifting from 1st to 2nd. With this TSB and the Pedal Commander, the truck drives very, very well.

@indycole - so basically they hooked up the computer and it didn't say it needed to be done, but if they had checked the calibration ID on the ...transmission??... then it would have been available for an update? I'm getting tired of getting pushed around by these service writers and now it's starting to get into the weeds.

Kind of.

First, they entered my VIN into their computer and saw that there were no outstanding TSBs and that the 0209-17 (attached) did not apply. The next step was a test drive where, you guessed it, there were no shifting issues at all. The service dude wanted to send me on my way at this point but I asked for the service manager and got them to agree to check out the TCM software version with their computer and then update it to the new version (see the Calibration IDs at the bottom of page 3).

Attachments

• T-SB-0209-17.pdf
    405.6 KB · Views: 428
So in addition to getting my rotors re-turned, I pushed for them to update the software. Took some very careful language and solid persuasion but they ended up taking care of me...

Goodness what an improvement. The Cruiser no longer insists on downshifting to 1 every time I slow down and the shifts between 1 and 2 are much more smooth. It doesn't seem like it's trying to grab all the torque in the world as soon as you roll below 7 mph and then inappropriately try and apply it on the subsequent acceleration.

I can see how the PC would be a nice addition to this. I'm going to get used to the current software drive-ability and then look more at the PC from there, but I'll be hard pressed not to get it.

Thanks all for the help.

PS - the calibration ID on the TSB ends in 400 for the correct software, but they're up to 500 now.

I have had my 2017 LC200 updated per TSB, it took two trips and some persuasion but they did it.
The difference is noticeable.
There is still some overrevving in 1st but mostly when cold, and I'm thinking it is actually the torque management issue. But with the PC - the truck is just a different beast. My only small grudge is I paid almost $300 while they seem to have drop the price by almost 100 now. But it is still SO worth it. It makes throttle response more predictable and precise, so it's easy to control shifting much better. I love it.

Thank you, @mcgaskins !!

--

@swatski - I may start pulling our boat with the 200 for a twice a year trip, 250 miles, to and from a temp controlled garage for the winters. Air Nautique 210, nothing massive, but still a decent sized boat - about 6k dry in the trailer. Did the PC have any effect on towing when you are pulling your boat? I've towed before, but not that heavy. I locked out 8th and usually 7th on the highway, but still was curious what you saw of effects if any.

What’s the easiest way to look up and find out if the TSB has already been performed? Is that information available on the Toyota owners website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom