Pedal Commander or other throttle controller thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@swatski - I may start pulling our boat with the 200 for a twice a year trip, 250 miles, to and from a temp controlled garage for the winters. Air Nautique 210, nothing massive, but still a decent sized boat - about 6k dry in the trailer. Did the PC have any effect on towing when you are pulling your boat? I've towed before, but not that heavy. I locked out 8th and usually 7th on the highway, but still was curious what you saw of effects if any.
I haven’t done any very long tows with the PC installed yet, but a couple of short ones and I didn’t even think about this. The shifting is more predictable as the throttle response curve is linear and predictable so it feels more in control with no surprise shifts, so to speak, if that makes sense.

I stopped using power ECT button, I also do not use the “S” position to override other than in the hills - and for compression breaking.

One more thing, sorry if I will annoy anyone, but I feel strongly about this: I use premium 93 octane whenever I can find it, when towing. It does make a difference in holding gears at higher speeds, and I like it.

Overall I find this truck to be pretty amazing as far as trailering the boat, my combo is about 5,500 lbs or so. Coming from an amazing 2012 1st gen TDI Q7, I no longer miss it, frankly. The LC absolutely rocks.

It should* be in the owners portal. I've found the dealers' input to be the limiting factor on how much you can really tell what was done. Sometimes it just says "electrical update" and sometimes it will say more. I'd say if you have access to TechStream and can find out what the ECT calibration is, that would be the most accurate method.

I've got an 08, read through some of the posts and tried searching the thread to see about an 08 mapping being reprogrammed. Does TSB apply to the 6speed or only 8?
Should I bother going to the dealership to see if they can do the update to resolve that slow speed jerk when getting back on the throttle softly around 5-10mph?

Save me from 8 pages of reading please - is this a beneficial purchase to make for a re-geared 08 LC

thank you sir!

I haven’t done any very long tows with the PC installed yet, but a couple of short ones and I didn’t even think about this. The shifting is more predictable as the throttle response curve is linear and predictable so it feels more in control with no surprise shifts, so to speak, if that makes sense.

I stopped using power ECT button, I also do not use the “S” position to override other than in the hills - and for compression breaking.

One more thing, sorry if I will annoy anyone, but I feel strongly about this: I use premium 93 octane whenever I can find it, when towing. It does make a difference in holding gears at higher speeds, and I like it.

Overall I find this truck to be pretty amazing as far as trailering the boat, my combo is about 5,500 lbs or so. Coming from an amazing 2012 1st gen TDI Q7, I no longer miss it, frankly. The LC absolutely rocks.

Not sure how high it is where you live but at higher altitudes, higher octane is a wash.

Just ordered the pedal commander for mine! I will report back.
We are also a dealer now so if I like it we will be offering them.
I know they make a big difference in the Tacoma.

Last edited:
Not sure how high it is where you live but at higher altitudes, higher octane is a wash.
Very good point, we are at 400’ in MO but getting ready to trailer to Lake Powell.
I don’t think 93 is even available in Utah!

I had 3 different 200 Series owners behind the wheel of my PC equipped heavy 200 this weekend on/off-road. All (myself included) liked the change in Sport/sport+ mode. We are going to try one in the Canguro 200 series as well.

Nothing to do with shift patterns either. Only amplifies throttle signal.
I am not bashing it by any means, just stating what it only does.
My buddy has one on his gen 1 Raptor. It is loads of fun. On the highest setting, the truck will roast the tires as soon as you even touch the throttle.

WOW is all I have to say about your uneducated posts!! With your theory saying that it has nothing to do with changing the shift patterns on ANY truck its installed on is the Exact same thing as saying that, If you to fill you vehicle with Gas, The Only thing that the Gas does to the car is fill the tank & it Has Absolutely no effect on whether or not your able to Start or Drive your vehicle!!!! Plain & simple what your saying is absolutely Retarded! Do you only eat food tohave it go through your body & then Sh*t it out?? Or do you eat in order to feed your body & have energy otherwise you'd die!!!

Anything that may increase your throttle response, increase your overall power etc . Would absolutely have Direct effect on how a transmission may react & shift! So regarding all those that say it does in fact change their shifting for the better, They are absolutely correct!!

I hope you dont work anywhere that you'd have to work on others vehichle because God knows what kind of sh**t you'd remove from even a stock OEM vehichle, because in your mind you'd think the steering wheel would not be necessary in order to turn the front wheels, being that it Only turns gears inside of a gear box! So the steering box is the only thing that turns the wheels!

Actually, he is right. The Pedal Commander is great, but it's about the same as putting a brick on the gas pedal.

With some "tuners" you can change the shift points for the tranny. By that I mean you can tell the E
Tranny's computer to keep the tranny in first gear until 6k rpms rather than shifting at 3k. The Pedal Comander does not do that. It will rev your engine up to 3k without you having to mash the pedal to the floor as much as the stock throttle programming would require, but the tranny still shifts at 3k.

EDIT: the ECT button is a good example of reprogramming the shift points. It keeps the transmission in lower gears for higher revs than the default programming.

Sadly, Toyota doesn't make its Engine Control Unit and other programming available for people to tinker with. So, unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to "tune" or reprogram the shift points as you could with say Ford products.

Last edited:
WOW is all I have to say about your uneducated posts!! With your theory saying that it has nothing to do with changing the shift patterns on ANY truck its installed on is the Exact same thing as saying that, If you to fill you vehicle with Gas, The Only thing that the Gas does to the car is fill the tank & it Has Absolutely no effect on whether or not your able to Start or Drive your vehicle!!!! Plain & simple what your saying is absolutely Retarded! Do you only eat food tohave it go through your body & then Sh*t it out?? Or do you eat in order to feed your body & have energy otherwise you'd die!!!

Anything that may increase your throttle response, increase your overall power etc . Would absolutely have Direct effect on how a transmission may react & shift! So regarding all those that say it does in fact change their shifting for the better, They are absolutely correct!!

I hope you dont work anywhere that you'd have to work on others vehichle because God knows what kind of sh**t you'd remove from even a stock OEM vehichle, because in your mind you'd think the steering wheel would not be necessary in order to turn the front wheels, being that it Only turns gears inside of a gear box! So the steering box is the only thing that turns the wheels!

Easy there tiger. You need to re-read what he wrote and learn what the Pedal Commander in fact does. It does nothing to move shift points relative to throttle, nothing. What it does do is move the throttle position in relation to the position of the accelerator pedal. So while you might feel it "grabbing a gear faster", it's not changing the shift point but changing the accelerator position relative to your foot, so it's more properly "grabbing a gear" with less pedal movement, same relative throttle. I "like" the Pedal Commander, but it doesn't make it any faster, just more sensitive to movement of ones foot. Same min/max result with less range.

Troll much?

Bringing this back up; unfortunately, I won't be as entertaining as the last couple posts.

I've decided to part with my PC27: SOLD

Yes, this is the Bluetooth model. It also fits:
  • 10-18 4Runner
  • 07-18 Tundra
It's never been hard mounted so it'll come with original velco mounting pieces. I know I have the box and, I believe the instructions, which are online. It's very straight forward.

I've been in an 8spd truck before and after, and they really do make a world of difference. Truly believe on a 2016+ it's a must have item, and others in this thread clearly agree. On my 6spd truck, I just never grew to love it. That said, in my last several tanks I have noticed a .2 or .3 mpg increase in economy and these have been 100% city driving. No idea if related. That said, I'm happy to sell to anyone, just want you to know my honest feedback.

SOLD

Last edited:
I bought JohnJB's PC for my 2018. Instant shipping, thanks. I will agree with everyone else on the difference for the 2016+. Major change in feel. I suppose I am not as much of a speed demon as most on here, as I am finding City 1-2+ to be the sweet spot for me currently. But, it's only been a day. My suspicion is that my mileage will likely worsen, as I do see the truck downshifting more frequently in stop-and-go driving now than without it. But again, I'm still adjusting to the sensitivity. So far, money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom