PCV Valve? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Between the last few oil changes my oil consumption has been getting worse and worse. The last time it took 4 quarts over 3000 miles to get to the next oil change. I don't see it leaking any onto the driveway nor does it look like it's burning it in the exhaust. From searching it seems like it's most likely my pcv valve. My question is what exactly does the pcv valve and where would it make all this oil be going? How hard is it to replace is it something I can do myself fairly easily?

Thanks
Matt
'96 80

Matt,
It is a 1 banana job and you can easily do it yourself. It's on top of your engine's valve cover and is about 1/2" in diameter and about 3" long with a black hose attached. Do not use a NAPA brand as they don't fit. Get the OEM PCV valve and a new grommet. Use care when removing the valve as the grommet is usually brittle and may break. You don't want to be fishing the pieces out of the valve cover though it can be done (see a recent post on this.)

FWIW, I don't think this would account for your excessive consumption as you are going through a qt every 750 miles. Have a leakdown test done.

-B-

MGB,
Pick one up at a Toy dealer with grommet. Once you have it in your hand, you'll quickly see it under the hood. I had no clue what I was looking for (as usual :flipoff2: :D), but quickly spotted it. Only takes a few minutes including the #6 requirement. :D

Thanks for the responses. I took it to the dealer had the oil changed and topped off and I brought it back about 650 miles later and we measured the oil being about 3/4 to full. They told me it looked like nothing was wrong which I'm kinda doubting unless I had been doing something wrong changing the oil? In the past the low oil light would come twice before I made it to the next oilchange. We've owned the cruiser since new and as far I know the PCV valve hasn't been change so I'll probably look into that. Other than that I'm back on the road about to make a 1000 trip home so I guess I'll find out soon enough if the consumption is still the same.

Matt

Matt,

A bit vague on that post. Are you saying in 650 miles your oil was down to 3/4 of the fill level (that's a loss of what -1.5 quarts?) or it was down 3/4 of a quart? Or are you saying "3/4 to full" literally meaning you could only tell the oil level was between 3/4 and full which would be useless information? Huh?

Doug

Sorry :slap:, when I checked the dipstick after 650 miles it had gone from being at the top line to being about 3/4 toward the top between the full line and the low oil line. What would that be about 1/2 a quart gone? There was an obvious drop in oil level that I know. It seems like less to me than usual because the oil indicator will come on after about 1500 miles at which point I add more.

That's an insane amount of oil loss. Nothing is wrong? :slap:

There's no way a new PCV valve will take care of that much oil loss. Is the old valve clogged? I would do a compression test, and also verify there are no leaks.

If your engine was burning that much oil I'd suspect that you would see it in the spark polugs coloration. How do they look? Post a pic if you can. They should have a light tan color to them I think.

I'll do it if I have a chance I'm at school in Texas and I live in Tennessee so I don't have many opportunities to do alot to the landcruiser but I'll take a look when I get home in about 2 weeks. If it was burning that much oil I'd probably see it in the exhaust or smell it right? I've looked under it when it was in the driveway after sitting for even several days and never noticed any oil leaking on to the ground.

including the #6 requirement.

So Junk, at the risk of exposing my impetuous youth... the #6 requirement? The only #6 I know is from Blazing Saddles- that's where we go a riding into town, a whoppin and a whoopin....

Matt- if I interpret your readings correctly, (down to 3/4 in 650 miles) you went through about 8 oz. of oil in 3 tankfuls of gas... yeah that's a fair amount but not that extreme, IMO... just keep a quart in the truck and make sure you check the oil at each fillup, top off as required, you'll be cool for the 1000 mile journey. I'll second the spark plug inspection though, if that doesn't tell you anything then a compression test would help determine if you if you've got bad rings or a bad head gasket.. I also agree that you're losing more oil than what is going through your old PCV valve..

If you're feeling lucky, try a can of Restore, or STP, or that BG44whatchamacallit, or one of the other snake oils out there that claims to stop oil consumption. You never know it could do the trick. good luck

#6 or in some cases step 6.

Refers to a pause in the process to consume an adult beverage of your choice, usually a cheap-ass beer in my case :rolleyes:

[quote author=MGBYLR link=board=2;threadid=8380;start=msg71238#msg71238 date=1070563444]
it was burning that much oil I'd probably see it in the exhaust or smell it right?
[/quote]

You would think so, but my 2000 Trooper burns a ton of oil, and I never see any blue smoke. Crazy. The few oil-burning 80s I have seen do leave a trail of blue smoke.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=8380;start=msg71309#msg71309 date=1070579827]
usually a cheap-ass beer in my case :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sir, you dishonor the name of Keystone, my neighbor! Reparations are required...

OK, OK, OK,

But, if you noticed, I DID NOT mention a specific brand name ::)

I prefer to tnink of Keystone as an economically priced alternative. :flipoff2:

On the otherhand, Buttwiper is clearly cheap stuff............ :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

In addition, that rice-based stuff gives me bald pate a nasty headache..... :whoops:

Ooh, ya speaking unkindly of Sapporo beer are ya now? Those nice silver curvy cans (how the heck to they make those, anyhow?). Not to hijack this thread COMPLETELY, but have you tried Bodington's beer in those bright yellow cans? Absolutely great stuff - blows anything else I've had away and I used to be a bartender in college. OK, that was 20 years ago, but still.....

DougM

To make the hijack official... I've been master of the cheap brew for many years now. started in high school, then college, then that 2.5 year semester off, then college again, now into married life.. beer tastes remain constant. My favorite is Milwaukee's Best Light, in addition to being a good "pounding beer," it really tastes a lot more like Meister Brau compared to regular Beast, plus it's less filling! get a suitcase, distribute to buddies liberally, and don't worry if a dog tail takes out a full one.. there's more and they're cheap, and the fresh ones taste best anyway.

You guys ever read Epinions? check this one out http://www.epinions.com/fddk-Beers-By_Name-All-Milwaukee_s_Best_Light/display_~reviews

I used to make my own beer :p

I got to making bigger and bigger batches, to the point where I had hijacked my in-ground swimming pool filter housing (it was stainless steel) and re-rigged it to be a brew bin. Got to making about 30 gallon batches at a time. Biggest problem was having enough bottles to put it all in. Talk about cheap beer...I could make a batch for about 10 bucks. Seems the more I made, the faster it went. Still have the gear...just can't seem to part with it.

Then I just got [more] lazy and started to buy the stuff :'(

EDIT: and to put the thread back on track...you could use a PCV valve to vent the CO2 :D

>> but have you tried Bodington's beer in those bright yellow cans? <<

Gee Dougie... you always seem late to the party. C-Dan and Jim Phillips (he's a pom) put us on to Bodington's about a year ago.

Do a search on "widget". :D

-B-

Yeah but Boddingtons does not classify as Cheap beer...rather expensive, and what's up with a four pack...well at least they are tall!!!

Les not forget the almighty LUCKY LAGER!!!!

Beo / Photo......all this babble about Boddingtons!

I really need to send you guys some long-neck Blackend Voodoo from down here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom