*pause* - clunk (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's the latest inquiry from the non-mechanically-inclined..I'll try to describe the symptom best I can:

From a dead stop, in gear, crossing an intersection....turning left, I'm feeling what I can best describe as a slight 'pause' when accelerating followed by a gentle 'clunk'. It feels like something in the DS rear is 'engaging' a little later (maybe 1/2 second) than the rest of the drivetrain. Syptom appears on level ground or incline. It's never as hard as a 'jerk', but more like...well....just a 'catch' of some sort..

Ideas?

Mine does it so it should be normal. :D

That gentle clunk will eventually turn into a "harsh" annoying clunk. I am curious to know how much play(rotation) do you have in your driveline under no load(check by getting underneath and rotating your drive shaft, do the front too without ramps,etc)?

Chris
94LC

Welcome to the center diff clunk club :D

I had a similar problem but it involved the front. Turns out the right front brake caliper would stick until it was forced to unbind. Had to replce the caliper -- $450 or so. Does your truck only do this when its cold (mine did) or all the time? Good luck

Macondawg - does it all the time, not just when cold.

AZ - looks and feels like, under not load, about 1/4" - 1/2 inch rotation slack

I have had this problem also. It sometimes seems to get better when the u joints are freshly greased but it does'nt last long. I think it is a combination of slack in drivetrain, but more likely the main problem is in the automatic transmission. If I come to a stop at a traffic light, and keep pressure on my brakes until light is green, as soon as I let off the brakes, there is the clunk. It is like the transmission has not kicked down fully or disengaged. If when first approaching the stop, as soon as letting off the gas, and applying braking pressure, it keeps the drivetrain tight of engaged. Then come to a stop and keep brakes applied, this keeps everything tight. Then as soon as brake pressure is released, it feels like the trans just shifted or dropped back down to first gear.

Does any of this sound like an accurate diagnosis to the problem? I am not sure but I would like to get it taken care of soon.

I only have a chunk when the tranny shifts into second and then I let off the gas and it shifts into first like in heave traffic. I can avoid this by not stopping till I get higher RPMs in second or let it go into third.
SO STAY OUT OF MY WAY

I had a low speed delay down shift issue. When I'd slow down to almosta stop say at a turn the truck would pause slightly then downshift and take off. It was solved by a accelerator cable. They seem after time to hang up slightly which will cause the tranny to delay in downshifting. The final indication for me was a somewhat eratic idle. It was always steady just at different rpms. The new cable took care of both problems.

I hear some of the fix is in the driveline-pinion bearings and side bearings. A job in the next 2 weeks - when it cools down a bit.

Is there a possiblity that this "clunk" is coming from worn suspensions bushings? I'll shut up now. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom