Passenger Side Mirror does not go up or down using the switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
06 LX470

Ok so I've dug out all kinds of threads about power mirror issues, but cannot see any real resolution for my case below. Any ideas help would be great, please.

Problem:
Passenger Side Mirror does not adjust Up or Down
Left to Right motion works
It does go down and then back up during backing up the car - So this means that the motor works, unless I do not know something. Also is it safe to say that EWC works fine on that side?

Mirror switch was removed and cleaned, which I thought should not help anyway, because it's the same buttons that control driver side mirror (looking at the contacts in the switch lead me to that conclusion)

I cannot hear any sound in the mirror when clicking on the up or down on the switch.
Is there a fuse for just up and down motion?
Thank you in advance all.

I think I've isolated the issue to the switch, after using test function in TechStream!
You can press the switch's buttons UP/Down Left/Right in Driver or Passenger selected function and see the Voltage change and sure enough nothing happens in my case during UP/Down for Passenger mirror. Also you can test from Tech stream other test to see if the mirrors all motions work properly.
Hope this will help someone.

Mine does the same thing. I thought it might be the motor for the mirror. I'll definitely check the switch now.

Im in the same boat, interested in results

I think I've isolated the issue to the switch, after using test function in TechStream!
You can press the switch's buttons UP/Down Left/Right in Driver or Passenger selected function and see the Voltage change and sure enough nothing happens in my case during UP/Down for Passenger mirror. Also you can test from Tech stream other test to see if the mirrors all motions work properly.
Hope this will help someone.
As I've mentioned in the above finds about the mirror - I WAS WRONG :-( Still do not know what is it. Next thing I am suspicious about the wires that I've unplugged from AHC computer when I did the AHC delete, in order to eliminate the flashing orange on the dash. There were 3 plugs, need to trace things around I guess.

I have exactly the same issue. One mirror does not respond to the up \ down button but the other one does. The mirror that does not respond to the button does however move down when selecting reverse and back up again when coming out of reverse. To my mind, the fact the up \ down buttons work with one mirror means the buttons are OK, the fact left \ right works with both mirrors means the left \ right selector switch is OK and the fact the mirror moves when selecting reverse means the mirror motors are OK. What else is there?

Power mirror control module...

[Edit: never mind, I see you cleaned the contacts already....]
The switch in our LS looks the same and the contacts oxidized over time. I removed the switch, carefully pried it open and cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner. Solved the problem. Here is some info: Mirrors no longer adjujst - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion. 7 years later, it looks like it needs to be done again. Worth a try.

Any further progress on this? Just got a 2005 LX and it’s giving the exact problem described above. The door switch relay clicks from all inputs. I tore it apart and regreased as much as I could. They both fold in just fine. No up/down on passenger side.
Any other thoughts would appreciated.

Recently noticed the exact same... mirror folds, but doesn’t note adjust with the switch... and does not lower when in reverse. I do hear faint clicking in the drivers door when I activate the mirror adjust switches though.

any solid fixes for this?

I had this and it was a break in the wire somewhere in the section that goes through the rubber boot between the door and body. I pulled a new wire through to replace the faulty wire, rather than attempt to track down the exact break in the wire. On my RHD / UK truck the mirror ECU is in the right hand door and I was able to test that there was no continuity between the ECU and the switch in the dash. That combination is how come the mirror still goes up and down under ECU control but won't respond to the switch. I can't remember the wire colour for sure, but there should be a diagram somewhere with that.

Any more updates on this seemingly common issue?
I’ve put some LX470 heated folding mirrors on my HDJ105, and after pushing the passenger mirror around a bit (left hand side), it now only adjusts left and right but not up and down. Drivers side works in all directions.

Any more updates on this seemingly common issue?
I’ve put some LX470 heated folding mirrors on my HDJ105, and after pushing the passenger mirror around a bit (left hand side), it now only adjusts left and right but not up and down. Drivers side works in all directions.
fixed mine, so I’m going to update with my findings.
There are a couple of things that went wrong with my passenger side mirror. It wasn’t the switch.
When you pull the mirror apart there is an adjuster mechanism/plate thing. There are two motors and worm drives and gears in each adjuster plate. I had a dud motor.
In the process of pulling it apart and putting it back together again, I think I also broke a small very important bit of plastic, or it was also already broken.
The motor drives a worm gear, which drives a gear, which has a male thread on the inside. The bit that pushes in or out to move the mirror plate has a corresponding female threaded tube that is seperated into segments so it can stretch and jump threads when you push on the mirror too hard and it makes that grinding noise. On this female threaded bit is one locking tab of plastic which slides into one of 4 potential slots in the motor gear—this stops the top female threaded adjust piece from just spinning in its ball joint and makes the whole thing work. Break that tiny bit of plastic and it either won’t work or will stop working once’s the remnants of this locking tab move out of the groove as you adjust the mirror too far.

Anyway, I had removed Landcruiser mirrors and my wanted LX470 mirrors. The adjuster plates are similar and different. The motors swap, the worm drives are the same, but the gear is different and the female adjuster is different, as is the rubber boot sizes and a few other things. Also the LX470 mirror has a complicated 4 wire and circuit board and probe sensor system which detects mirror position for mirror memory function.

the good news for me is, that I can swap the entire adjuster plate from a Landcruiser into the LX470 mirror. The bolt pattern is the same, and the clips for the LX470 mirror is the same. I don’t have or want memory mirror function, so there is nothing lost going to a Landcruiser adjust plate inside a LX470 mirror for me.

The take home message is, some parts are swappable thus The mechanism is repairable with parts at hand, but many parts are brittle plastic and you have to be super careful pulling them apart and putting them back together. Be particularly careful when pushing on the female adjuster into the male adjuster, to make sure that locating tab is sliding into a groove or you will snap it—it’s a fairly violent process, and you have to make sure it is lined up first.

If your mirror won’t adjust in a direction but you can hear the motor spinning, then I suspect the broken plastic tab, or some other plastic part in there. If it won’t adjust in a direction, and you can’t hear the motor, as mine was doing, then suspect the motor. I‘m keeping this spare set of mirrors for future harvesting of parts!

not sure if anyone will read this, but hopefully if someone goes googling one day for help they might find this old post.

4BD01788-7B25-4048-902E-E9CC641F75CF.jpeg

BCA30532-9091-47B8-B32E-96292109D98F.jpeg

673DE43F-3E5A-43E3-BB29-BD5014E6C17A.jpeg

fixed mine, so I’m going to update with my findings.
There are a couple of things that went wrong with my passenger side mirror. It wasn’t the switch.
When you pull the mirror apart there is an adjuster mechanism/plate thing. There are two motors and worm drives and gears in each adjuster plate. I had a dud motor.
In the process of pulling it apart and putting it back together again, I think I also broke a small very important bit of plastic, or it was also already broken.
The motor drives a worm gear, which drives a gear, which has a male thread on the inside. The bit that pushes in or out to move the mirror plate has a corresponding female threaded tube that is seperated into segments so it can stretch and jump threads when you push on the mirror too hard and it makes that grinding noise. On this female threaded bit is one locking tab of plastic which slides into one of 4 potential slots in the motor gear—this stops the top female threaded adjust piece from just spinning in its ball joint and makes the whole thing work. Break that tiny bit of plastic and it either won’t work or will stop working once’s the remnants of this locking tab move out of the groove as you adjust the mirror too far.

Anyway, I had removed Landcruiser mirrors and my wanted LX470 mirrors. The adjuster plates are similar and different. The motors swap, the worm drives are the same, but the gear is different and the female adjuster is different, as is the rubber boot sizes and a few other things. Also the LX470 mirror has a complicated 4 wire and circuit board and probe sensor system which detects mirror position for mirror memory function.

the good news for me is, that I can swap the entire adjuster plate from a Landcruiser into the LX470 mirror. The bolt pattern is the same, and the clips for the LX470 mirror is the same. I don’t have or want memory mirror function, so there is nothing lost going to a Landcruiser adjust plate inside a LX470 mirror for me.

The take home message is, some parts are swappable thus The mechanism is repairable with parts at hand, but many parts are brittle plastic and you have to be super careful pulling them apart and putting them back together. Be particularly careful when pushing on the female adjuster into the male adjuster, to make sure that locating tab is sliding into a groove or you will snap it—it’s a fairly violent process, and you have to make sure it is lined up first.

If your mirror won’t adjust in a direction but you can hear the motor spinning, then I suspect the broken plastic tab, or some other plastic part in there. If it won’t adjust in a direction, and you can’t hear the motor, as mine was doing, then suspect the motor. I‘m keeping this spare set of mirrors for future harvesting of parts!

not sure if anyone will read this, but hopefully if someone goes googling one day for help they might find this old post.

View attachment 3127913

View attachment 3127914

View attachment 3127915
My driver side mirror works in 3 of the 4 positions: up, left and right. The motor can be heard when trying to make it go down, but the mirror doesn’t move. I haven’t pulled the motor yet but suspect it may be as you discovered. So thanks for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom