Parts interchange compatibility for front diff "third member" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a factory front locker. Is the third member for the front diff the same on locked vs unlocked axles? I know the axle housing is different but I would like to know if I can swap in another complete third member. I want to keep my stock stuff and swap in a separate one with different gears. Thanks for any insight.......

After reading your signature, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Looks like you have 2 rigs that already have lockers. Do you want to install a non locking 3rd in a locked housing? Hmmm, not sure if you can do that either, I'm sure others will chime in, give it some time.

The third members are different. two of the studs to mount locking 3rds on the housing are longer for the locker motors.

The third members are different. two of the studs to mount locking 3rds on the housing are longer for the locker motors.
Thank you @ERG80 Sounds easy enough.....wonder what else......
@80t0ylc - The goal is to have two setups. One for climbing and one for cross-country. I'm selling one of the trucks. I take a lot of long trips and don't want to rock high gears for several thousand miles and one or two trips a year to go play mountain goat. It's a lot easier to source used parts from a non-locked front axle.

Last edited:
Install transfer case gears. There's overdrive gears available for high range, and underdrive for low range.

Swapping this out for a trip would get old real fast!

Bolt placement is different with the locked/ unlocked thirds also, so not a deal you can do without modifying the housing anyway.

Also, gasket would barely seal if you could swap thirds.

You're starting from a false premise; the axle housing is the same regardless of the locker, which is wholly housed within the differential carrier. The details are in the FSM.

The answer to your question is yes. You can swap the carriers and thereby regear the axle. But, you have to do this to both axles, and it's not as simple as changing a tire. Here in the land of NASCAR, homeboy race teams carry several differentials, if they can afford it, to the track to match their cars to the track. It's more easily done on a racecar with one axle, but it's the same idea.

the axle housing is the same regardless of the locker
No, both front and rear housing are different.

There's a relief notch to clear the locking gear, and bolt/ stud spacing is different, and gaskets are different.

Use a gasket for nonlockibg diff with a locked hiding and centre, you'd have less than 3/8" gasket overlap.

I modified a non locked set of housings to take locked centres, I had to weld in metal and find/ file it flat to create a sealing surface for the gasket.
I had to cut clearance notches, and still and tap for correct stuff spacing

There's a relief notch to clear the locking gear, and bolt/ stud spacing is different, and gaskets are different.

Use a gasket for nonlockibg diff with a locked hiding and centre, you'd have less than 3/8" gasket overlap.

I modified a non locked set of housings to take locked centres, I had to weld in metal and find/ file it flat to create a sealing surface for the gasket.

More of a problem on the front vs rear.

Cheers

Do you really want to tear into the front knuckles to slide the axle shafts out enough to pull the third on a regular basis?

If you really want to swap thirds back and forth they should at least both be the same type (locking or unlocked) so that they can bolt on without housing mods. As said above you have to mod the axle if changing from locked to unlocked thirds and it's not an easily reversible set of changes.

The TC gears seem like a great idea in your situation.

Guess I'll have to source a front from a locked axle then.....that may take some time. @mudgudgeon Do you happen to have a good link to a reputable company for these overdrive gears? I'll start researching it. I have a thing called a Roamer Overdrive on my Defender that bolts onto the transfer case from the outside and adds a third lever. Takes about an hour to install. I wish they made a Toyota one..... @jpoole I don't mind the work. I got a lift and waste a ton of time already doing other completely unnecessary things.

Guess I'll have to source a front from a locked axle then.....that may take some time. @mudgudgeon Do you happen to have a good link to a reputable company for these overdrive gears? I'll start researching it. I have a thing called a Roamer Overdrive on my Defender that bolts onto the transfer case from the outside and adds a third lever. Takes about an hour to install. I wish they made a Toyota

Cruiserteq.com

@cruiseroutfit

There's other sellers on mud, but I don't know usernames

Guess I'll have to source a front from a locked axle then.....that may take some time. @mudgudgeon Do you happen to have a good link to a reputable company for these overdrive gears? I'll start researching it. I have a thing called a Roamer Overdrive on my Defender that bolts onto the transfer case from the outside and adds a third lever. Takes about an hour to install. I wish they made a Toyota one..... @jpoole I don't mind the work. I got a lift and waste a ton of time already doing other completely unnecessary things.

We'd love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters!

@80t0ylc - The goal is to have two setups. One for climbing and one for cross-country. I'm selling one of the trucks. I take a lot of long trips and don't want to rock high gears for several thousand miles and one or two trips a year to go play mountain goat. It's a lot easier to source used parts from a non-locked front axle.
Well, it seems like, since you have 2 trucks, it would make more sense to - instead of selling one, to set one truck up for "climbing" and the other for "cross country". Then you wouldn't have to play "musical 3rds" and could still have the fun of setting up the individual trucks for their purpose. From your signature, they look both to be '97's - a Land Cruiser FZJ80 and a Lexus LX 450. Lot of drive train parts are interchangeable for these 2 rigs.

I didn't mean to say the front and rear axles were the same, just that the axle housing, whether it was the front or rear, is the same whether the carrier has a locker in it or not.

I didn't mean to say the front and rear axles were the same, just that the axle housing, whether it was the front or rear, is the same whether the carrier has a locker in it or not.

That's the point though. Front locker housing is different to front non locked. Same deal in the rear.
Locked centre is not a direct drop in swap into a non locked housing and visa versa

OK, but he has a locked axle. Replacing his locked differential carrier with one that's unlocked won't be a problem. If it was the other was around, I agree, he'd have to do some grinding.

And, I stand corrected, there were two part numbers. But you can only get one of them.

Screenshot_20231005_092442_Gallery.jpg

Front Locked centre gasket on left, unlocked on right.

The bolt pattern to the right of the ring gear relief is different.
6 bolts for locked, .
5 bolts for unlocked.
bolts at 2 o'clock-ish and 4 o'clock-ish are in a different position

Thanks for the input guys! I'm now going to research these overdrive gears and try and source a used, locked front diff.....rears are pretty easy to come across!

Thanks for the input guys! I'm now going to research these overdrive gears and try and source a used, locked front diff.....rears are pretty easy to come across!
You can do some looking and talking with Gearvendors and they may have something to adapt.

You would have to part-time your truck and it would have to be disabled during 4x4 engagement.

It's a possibiity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom