3rd member spider gears- FZJ80 -open front Diff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been working on a regear to 4.88s I noticed some pitting on my spider gears and just wanted to check with someone who is more experienced with these.

I’m only asking because I’m having a hard time finding/getting the replacements.

I attached photos of the spider gears, let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3453.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

What symptoms were you getting before tearing the diff apart, noise/howling on acceleration or deceleration, chunks or metal on the magnet, miles on the vehicle, prior work on the diffs, ever run the diff low on gear oil??

What symptoms were you getting before tearing the diff apart, noise/howling on acceleration or deceleration, chunks or metal on the magnet, miles on the vehicle, prior work on the diffs, ever run the diff low on gear oil??
My pinion gear sheared off a couple teeth on the trail. The damage wasn't horrible because as soon as I heard it I stopped and pulled the Driveshaft and axles. I imagine these nicks are from pinion gear shavings since its only on a couple teeth. Before taking them out of the Carrier everything ran smooth. Just not wanting to install if they are just going to break into pieces after a few thousand miles.

No crazy chunks of metal on the magnet. No prior work on diffs that i know of. I assume diff failed because the axle seals failed and pulled all the moly grease from the knuckles in.

Another Question: If i order Toyota 4 Cylinder 8 inch front spiders. Will they fit in the Diff? My understanding is that our cruisers have an 8 Inch high pinion and use 2 pinion gears in the carrier like the 4 Cylinder. But use V6 Carrier bearings.

If that's the case, I should be able to order any Toyota 4cyl front spider gears... That would make this whole thing a lot easier!

Another Question: If i order Toyota 4 Cylinder 8 inch front spiders. Will they fit in the Diff? My understanding is that our cruisers have an 8 Inch high pinion and use 2 pinion gears in the carrier like the 4 Cylinder. But use V6 Carrier bearings.

If that's the case, I should be able to order any Toyota 4cyl front spider gears... That would make this whole thing a lot easier!
Id buy a junkyard 3rd and see what happens

Well, I guess we learn this lesson another day. The local Toyota dealer hooked me up with only a weeks wait and I’m installing now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom