part time vs full time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most who are considering this mod have done many of these PM items before doing the PT kit. In addition, if they haven't checked their tie rod ends, wheel bearing tightness, and upper/lower trunnion bearing condition then they are asking for wandering and death wobble since 2WD will accentuate any problems.

I was just traveling 60mph on paved highway. If I was driving the Cruiser I would not have had the 4WD engaged. Then this....40mph sidewind. What are you gonna do if there is potential to hit slick roads? Drive with CDL locked on curvy paved roads creating high stress and heat in the t-case for many miles, OR pullover at the drop of a hat to lock the CDL or even worse get out and lock the hubs before you even do that? If I had to do the part-time kit again I would think long and hard about it. It's not for everyone!
Yup, I've been driving 4WD rigs since 1971 and knew that I did not want PT in my 80. I use it for everything and especially winter driving. Best all around driving as it comes from Mr.T. I'll admit the Harrops have definitely advanced the potential, but e-lockers do that....and without taking away from the winter highway driving ability. One thing I keep in mind, once you can keep momentum, locking axles and center diff/transfer case are better disco'd - unless needed to maintain momentum. Cornering on snow pack & ice is where your scrubbing wheels from a locked drive train, can throw you out of control. As with ABS, the wheel has to be turning at the vehicle's speed, to be able to steer or brake. Winter highway driving has much different criteria than normal off road or rock crawling driving. But the versatile 80.....stock, is an awesome rig, and handles most anything thrown at it with flying colors.

Can you give us some more info on stock PT 80 series from SA? (I dont see any specs on your signature). What year? model? lifted? lockers? Gear ratios? MPGs? Engine? etc.?

I understand the Part time cruisers are sought after in your region over the full time, is that true? What other features (Drive train etc. not amenities) did the SA cruiser come with (that you know of) that differs from USA models?

Mine is a 1995 1HD-T with an A442F with part time (manual hubs) from factory, notsure about the MPGs as down here you seldomly drive far, mostly stuck on traffic...when I do drive it far, then I've used about 1/2 tank (12.5 gls) on about 300 miles...as speed wise, I've had her up to 108 mph (I would not recomend this) my car rides on all terrain LT285/75R16, somewhat stock height...mmm...differences, not gasoline to start, mine has dual ACs (some came with a fridge and ice maker, not mine) from factory, dual fuel tanks from factory, no sun roof (love that), stock 4.10:1 gears, no lockers (never here)

I have driven both full and part time 80 series. I didn't ever try to determine what the mileage was on the part time 80 because it had a 6 inch lift and 35s. It also had a carburated 1fz in it so i don't think it would have made a good comparison.

In regards to handling I feel like the difference between the two was not very significant.

I have since decided that I like the fulltime all wheel drive. It gives me a little more confidence driving in the mountains in bad weather where I live.

I have the parts to convert to part time but currently I don't see a significant benefit to do so.

I had planned to put a part time 80 series drivetrain in an fj45 project I had. One of the reasons I was going to do that was because the factory part time case is about 5" inches shorter than the fulltime case. If you were doing something similar in a 40 the 5 inches gained from the factory partime case could be helpfull.

There's no call in the specs to alter toe-in/out just because any 80 might be full-time 4wd vs part-time 4wd. Here in Oz I've never encountered frozen snow-covered roads like the ones that occur in northern hemisphere winters. Mostly it's super hot/dry or super wet/flooded. I certainly agree that 2wd gives a certain 'floatiness' to the front end but I'm so used to it and I adapt my driving to suit. I've towed loaded car trailers and fully loaded box trailers in 2wd with no problems. Even pulled loaded car trailers through knarly dirt tracks and low-range 4wd in 1st or 2nd gear is just perfect for that. But otherwise it's 2wd all the time. If roads are wet, I just slow down a bit.

Last edited:
If you engage the 4WD, aka lock the CDL with the hubs in 2WD- unlocked, it will ruin the hubs.

First time I've heard that. The free wheeling hub physically disconnects the axle from the hub, even if your blonde missus somehow puts it into 4wd, the hub is still disconnected

a major negative with the chromoly axle shafts is how they wear at the seal when spun continously
Is this really the wear factor with chromo shafts? I always assumed wear on splines was an issue, but no idea
Seems like adding a speeding sleeve at the seal surface would put that to bed?

I'll post my experience too, 96' HDJ80, 1HD-FT, H151F, HF2A

After quite a bit of debate and research, I elected to install the Trail Tamer 10% OD gears and also the 3.1:1 low range gears when Valley Hybrids was having their Christmas sale. I also went part time in the case and installed a Marlin spool and Aisin hubs. I did have some doubts because many had posted that they hated part time for various reasons or that AWD was simply just better.

Once the gears were in, I did a trip yesterday to Eastern WA. I fueled up at a station near the house and at the end of the trip, re-fueled at the same station using the exact same pump and method. In total, it was 330 miles of driving and I went over three mountain passes (Snoqualmie 3,015', Blewett 4,124' and Stevens 4,061') At the end of the day, fuel economy was 24.47 mpg which is a 20% INCREASE over what I normally was getting. Not only that, but the OD transfer case gears essentially net a 28% OD using the H151F and the engine seems to be operating much more comfortably in it's torque and powerband. All the driving I did was between 55-65mph on stock sized tires and stock 4.10 axle gears. I pulled all the mountain passes in 5th gear at about 55mph and EGT's sat at 900-1,000 with boost right around 15psi

If you're considering the OD transfer case gears or going part time, I'd highly recommend it. Neither my wife or I have noticed any handling differences although I will be more careful when it's slick out.

I'll post my experience too, 96' HDJ80, 1HD-FT, H151F, HF2A

After quite a bit of debate and research, I elected to install the Trail Tamer 10% OD gears and also the 3.1:1 low range gears when Valley Hybrids was having their Christmas sale. I also went part time in the case and installed a Marlin spool and Aisin hubs. I did have some doubts because many had posted that they hated part time for various reasons or that AWD was simply just better.

Once the gears were in, I did a trip yesterday to Eastern WA. I fueled up at a station near the house and at the end of the trip, re-fueled at the same station using the exact same pump and method. In total, it was 330 miles of driving and I went over three mountain passes (Snoqualmie 3,015', Blewett 4,124' and Stevens 4,061') At the end of the day, fuel economy was 24.47 mpg which is a 20% INCREASE over what I normally was getting. Not only that, but the OD transfer case gears essentially net a 28% OD using the H151F and the engine seems to be operating much more comfortably in it's torque and powerband. All the driving I did was between 55-65mph on stock sized tires and stock 4.10 axle gears. I pulled all the mountain passes in 5th gear at about 55mph and EGT's sat at 900-1,000 with boost right around 15psi

If you're considering the OD transfer case gears or going part time, I'd highly recommend it. Neither my wife or I have noticed any handling differences although I will be more careful when it's slick out.
Tell you something, mine has part time from factory, but always have the hubs locked, (6 years now and no problems) since I have to engage 4WD with a button where you all have the CDL or the alarm thingy, my rig is part time even if the hubs are locked, I do it for not having to get down to lock them...I just drive, encounter a problem, then engage 4WD and drive away, pass problem, then dissengage and continue driving...also...4WD I engage it while in N or P and to release it, I press the button and drive on the opposite direction for about 2 feet to 3 feet and that is it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom