Part time fzj80 transfercase (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ABS. That is one thing you might have to deal with.
WHen I was going to just remove the VC and go drive without it, I was thinking I would need to disable the ABS.
In 2WD you might be able to keep ABS but not sure what will happen when in 4WD.
If you don't drive in snow/ice this shouldn't be a problem.

It is true that by creating a part time system you lose the ABS. This occurs because the ABS pick-up takes its signal off of the Birfield. Once the front drive stops turning the system is no longer able to sense the rotational speed of the front wheels. If the pick-up and tone ring were a part of the brake rotor that would be different. I'm fine with the loss of ABS though. However, for those that live in snowy areas, this may not be worth giving up. I'll be sure to post the results of the project. Until then, I'm still in search of a trashed VC to work with...anyone, anyone...

Rich

Rich,

>> I'm fine with the loss of ABS though. <<

It seems that you could sell the 80, buy an FJ62 and be much better off. You'll be back in the 1980's with no ABS, no air bags, and PT 4wd. The FJ62 gets you EFI and a 3FE so you'll be about where you are headed without all the hassle. I think you could adapt a 5-speed to the FJ62 without much problem and you would be set with your 2wd manual tranny desires.

I'm not trying to be facetious... or maybe I am... I dunno.
-B-

(Yank the automatic window lifts and retrofit handles and you're good to go.... yeah, that's definitely facetious.) :D)

I love the FJ62s! I've owned two very nice 62s and a V8 60. Overall the 80 serves my purposes much better. In particular, full floaters, four-wheel discs, electric lockers, excellent engine, tows the 40 better (the 3FE was a bit weak) and finally it seats eight (we use that feature every week). Even though my 62s were excellent Cruisers, I haven't regretted replacing them with the 80 for one minute. Also, since my 80 is a '94 it doesn't have airbags anyway. Overall, the 80 has a lot of features that weren't a part of the 62s. Most of them are great and make the 80 an absolute pleasure to drive. The part time set-up is just a fun challenge my engineering side couldn't resist. Besides, what fun would it be to own a Cruiser (or two or three or four...) if we all just left them alone :). Hmmm, I wonder if the wife would mind me getting another 62...I better not push my luck! By the way, thanks for the well deserved heckling!

Rich

94= no air bags, 8 seat belts.

95+ = air bags, 7 seat belts.

PT-Rich,

At least you don't get all huffy about the heckling. :D

-B-

I have a 91...I am going part time at some point when funds allow.

Don't let em get you down...they tried it on me too!!

I don't even have a VC and they were giving me crap!

:cheers:

A little heckling is always a good thing. No worries! :) Soooo, anyone ready to part with a decommisioned viscous coupler??? If so I'm ready to make good use of it.

Rich

Kurt,
Thank you for the offer. I would like to take you up on that. I just want to be able to take dimensions from it without having to tear my truck down. Once I had the necessary dimensions I would send it back to you in the same condition. Let me know what it costs to ship. I'm in southern California. Thanks much!

Rich

Rich, fight the good fight, man! :)
I don't understand what you'll end up with though. What I'm thinking about someday is a transfer case that allows 2L, 2H, 4L, 4H where the 4WD can be either part time or full-time (open center diff: I'm not yet sure I care about the VC feature).
From your description, I am missing whether and how you plan to make the front driveshaft selectively powered. Will it work with another lever? A switch?

Kenton

Kenton,
Thanks for the encouragement! :) What I end up with is the ability to have 2H, 2L, 4H and 4L. The front dirve selectability comes from using the center diff. lock switch and machining off the splined section of the front output shaft. Once the splined section is removed, the front shaft is no longer engaged to the center differential. However, the dog-toothed collar that is engaged when the center diff lock switch is depressed still works. In fact, that mechanism really just works like a front drive engagement coupler on a part time case. So, with the center diff lock button depressed, my front end is engaged (of course I have to lock the front locking hubs too). Even though the H-L lever will (for now) trigger the center diff lock, without the front hubs locked, I can still run around in 2L. Oh, by the way, since my truck (94) didn't come with a center diff lock switch, I just bought one from the dealer and installed it. The harness was right behind the dash panel where the switch goes but ther was an adapter on the end of it that needed to be removed. It's a very easy addition.

Rich

Thanks Rich. So, if I understand correctly, then you will no longer have the open center differential feature? That's a shame. But, I agree I would prefer the setup you are contemplating, over the existing setup. Driving down the highway on dry, level pavement in 4WD with the front birf spinning is madness.

>> Driving down the highway on dry, level pavement in 4WD with the front birf spinning is madness. <<

I completely disagree with this statement but we can agree to disagree.

-B-

Kenton,

as someone who has lived for eight years in East-Africa and now in Asia, I will place my comments too:

First: (AFRICA) We have to remind us from where the Landcruiser comes and what intention laid behind his creation. Was he created as a Mall Cruiser then I would go and agree with you. No need for AWD. But I have seen the Landcruiser doing his real task every day in Africa, going through the roughest places on earth. Transporting food and help to starving people, bringing hope where there was no hope before. Other cars stuck all the times but the Landcruiser was running and running. AWD a must here !!!!

Second: (ASIA) Now I am staying in Asia with poor streets, floaded streets and muddy roads everywhere. I am so greatful for my AWD because it helps me to do my tasks everyday if sunshine or rain. Here we are not talking about a toy that we use on the weekends for wheeling but about a reliable offroad-capable machine that has the reputation not to break down. AWD another must here !!!

Third: (IMAGE) Through the tough tasks the Landcruiser is doing every day in the above mentioned regions (plus of course other places like Australia (Outback) and the use as UN-vehicles), the Landcruiser got a special image as the number one in offroad-capability and reliabity. This included the AWD-System and Toyota used it for advertisement in all campaigns to promote the Landcruiser worldwide. Since the Landcruiser is very popular it wouldn't be wise to build to many different types (AWD, 4WD, etc.). I think it would erode the market and would give the competition the change to place their models in the market.
Here AWD isn't a must but it adds to a strategy !!!

Fourth: (Statistics) I don't think that you can measure or calculate everything in this world. If we would place all things in a statistic the life would be very boring. Not everybody is interested in such things and that is maybe the reason why you can't convince many guys here on this board.

Fifth: (Rewards, Money) Out of my personal experiences in Third world countries with famines, wars and other worse situations for mankind, I can't understand people who want to measure everything in money or some kind of rewards. We all are very lucky that we are born in the right time and the right place. Money isn't very important if you look throughout the world with open eyes. Be grateful for what you have and where you are.

Okay, now I stop because I know that this will lead to nowhere. But maybe it will make some of your guys think how lucky you are. With or without a doctor or a businesscard. :rolleyes:

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom